Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Amazing Christmas Lights

This house is only a few blocks from our house. We drive past it several times a December to get in the spirit. The family uses their own house and yard and their neighbour's yard so the full length is probably a couple of hundred feet. The filmed sequence doesn't do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0pu...ndsay%20lights

Ah yes - the Light-O-Rama box. I bought a 16-channel one of those when I got caught up in the fever, after seeing Carson Williams' video last year. http://www.lightorama.com/Videos.html

Was slammed back to earth once I found out how tedious it is to program the box.

Jon

Excellent. Thanks for the link. I'll definately be checking some of those out. I love this stuff!!!

I always wondered how they did that, thank's for the info. I love the holiday's, but unless I can hire someone to do that to my house, it ain't happen'! That simply requires more time than I have.

OMG!

can these people sleep at night? and aren't they blind by now?
    well done though,

now i want it in my back yard

peace,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Not much of a christmas guy, but I always manage to get a piece of Pine about 2-3" long, and place it on a wall with a red pin. It's magical!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Excellent. Thanks for the link. I'll definately be checking some of those out. I love this stuff!!!
    Autumn, just go to planetchristmas.com
    Find the Vendor *** Light-O-Rama forum.

Programming the thing is not hard - it's graphical, not like you have to write code or anything - but to me it is well, tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by tin ear
    Ah yes - the Light-O-Rama box. I bought a 16-channel one of those when I got caught up in the fever, after seeing Carson Williams' video last year. http://www.lightorama.com/Videos.html

Was slammed back to earth once I found out how tedious it is to program the box.

Jon
    Looks interesting, did you get it working and is a 16 channel enough to do much with or would a 32 be needed? Jeff
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    OMG!

can these people sleep at night? and aren't they blind by now?
    well done though,
    I can't speak for the others, but this family turns their lights off at 11:00. What's also really cool about this is that the music is programmed on an FM radio station. The transmission is less that a kilometre, but you can pull onto their street and tune your car radio to the station to hear the syncronized music.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I can't speak for the others, but this family turns their lights off at 11:00. What's also really cool about this is that the music is programmed on an FM radio station. The transmission is less that a kilometre, but you can pull onto their street and tune your car radio to the station to hear the syncronized music.
    That's pretty hip.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Oh, yes; it's all well thought out -- a gadget-freak's dream. You can buy all the controllers, interconnects, wireless modules, etc. from LOR. If they don't sell the FM xmitter yet, someone on PlanetChristmas does. It's all quite a trip. Lots of fun. I just got bogged down, is all. The programming is time-consuming. I hear that once you get good at it, it's not too bad. I haven't given up, but it is on hold.

I even built a couple of wireframe yard-art items out of steel rod and rope lights. That was fun, with the welding and all, but that tedious damned programming of the LOR box just... I dunno.

Grandpaw, each 8 channels can run 15 amps (it's rated for 20A but you have to get a bigger fuse). So a 16 channel box will run a lot of lights. (That's two full breaker-box circuits of just lights!) But the more channels you have, the more independent things you can do. I could be mistaken, but I think it takes at least 32 channels to run one of those "mega-trees" that spin and all, as shown on some of those videos. OTOH if you don't want one of those, then yes 16-32 channels should do a heck of a lot, by my standards anyway. The key is to start small-ish & work your way up. IIRC the 16-ch box is ~$300, plug & play. They also have kits.

I bought the thing like in May. Almost got one whole song programmed on 8 or so channels. But no, I have not tried it in realworld. The software has a graphic simulator where you can draw a concept of your lights, then the program you write blinks them, as a preview of what your lights will look like when you hook them up.

You program one or more songs, which make up a program. Your computer runs the show through the cxontroller box. Sorta like if you have ever seen on the History Channel how high tech fireworks displays are done.

HTH -- I know kind of a lot about this, so feel free to ask whatever you want about it.

Jon

Btw...

...I was finally able to buy Trans-Siberian Orchestra's The Lost Christmas Eve the other day, and I have someone's Wizards In Winter program, which I downloaded some months ago. So I may be able to throw something together now, If I can find the time. It's getting kinda late for this year, but Christmas lights in July never really hurt my feelings all that much...

-j

Thread Information