Thread: Air America

Forum Regular

Air America

I have been tunning into Air America from time to time. I have to admitt it is funny, especially the O'Franken Factor; Al is quite witty if not always on target with his thoughts. Now I have an alternative to the Right Wing Extremists that rule the free air ways, which is good. I just hope they last. I can only take so much rhetoric and ranting from the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    I have been tunning into Air America from time to time. I have to admitt it is funny, especially the O'Franken Factor; Al is quite witty if not always on target with his thoughts. Now I have an alternative to the Right Wing Extremists that rule the free air ways, which is good. I just hope they last. I can only take so much rhetoric and ranting from the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

They are off to a great start!

http://www.nypost.com/business/19190.htm

JSE

Forum Regular
    Do not worry, they are back in both LA and Chicago. See I live in the Chicago metro area, so no worries. They are expected to lose millions over the next three years or so. After that is when they are suppose to start making a profit. Well, that is if there still on the air. Liberal radio, in most chases, is a lossing endeavor. I do hope that things work out this time!

JSE
    Do not worry, they are back in both LA and Chicago. See I live in the Chicago metro area, so no worries. They are expected to lose millions over the next three years or so. After that is when they are suppose to start making a profit. Well, that is if there still on the air. Liberal radio, in most chases, is a lossing endeavor. I do hope that things work out this time!

Did they get picked up by another station in Chicago? The article I cited states that they are going silent next week due to a final fallout with the station owners even after the court ruling. If that's the case, better get Sat. Radio.

JSE

I live in LA and they're not back on in LA, at least as of last night. I've been listening via the internet.

I dunno, I tuned in initially, but left wing radio that's just as loud, obnoxious, and factually challenged as Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Savage, Hannity, and some of the other right wingnuts just doesn't appeal to me all that much. And it doesn't help that Air America's trying to go higher on the entertainment quotient, which means that they're going with mostly radio newbies. The only host with a lot of experience on radio is Randi Rhodes, and it shows. She knows how to cut through a monologue, work the callers, and occupy dead air. Al Franken's got a great wit with books and sketch humor, but I'm not sure if he's cut out for radio.

We'll see if this approach works. I hope that it does, if for no other reason than if idiotic talk shows are going to dominate the radio dial, then might as well bring some left wing idiocy to mix in with the idiocy that's come from the right wing airwaves for the last decade or so.

Forum Regular
    No, there on the same station, 950 AM, as before.

Forum Regular
    You find Air America more obnoxious and loud compared to Conservative radio? To me, Rush Limbaugh is the biggest windbag on the airways! I guess it just must be me?

Forum Regular
    I stand corrected; I heard that they were back on the air in LA.

JSE
    No, there on the same station, 950 AM, as before.
    Not for long apparently.

JSE

They were supposed to be back on the air in LA but it's still spanish language programming and there's no "news" of what's happening on AirAmerica's website and I'm too lazy to search the interest for the answer right now.

But as an aside, while I lean left, oh who am I kidding I fell over years ago, I do think that obssessive listening to political radio on either spectrum is problematic. Everyone needs their views validated, but after a while it just turns to inculcation.

You find Air America more obnoxious and loud compared to Conservative radio? To me, Rush Limbaugh is the biggest windbag on the airways! I guess it just must be me?
    Give Randi Rhodes a listen. Even though I agree with her a lot of the time, she's every bit as much a windbag and does the same kind of baiting as Limbaugh. Like them or not, both of them know how to work the listeners to get people to listen, even if it's more in the car wreck on the side of the road vein.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    They were supposed to be back on the air in LA but it's still spanish language programming and there's no "news" of what's happening on AirAmerica's website and I'm too lazy to search the interest for the answer right now.

But as an aside, while I lean left, oh who am I kidding I fell over years ago, I do think that obssessive listening to political radio on either spectrum is problematic. Everyone needs their views validated, but after a while it just turns to inculcation.
    I don't know when it started happening, but it just seems to me that political talk in general treats the whole process as some kind of spectator sport. If I want inane chatter, I'd much rather listen to sports radio. At least there, if the topics get trivialized down to winning and losing, it's the appropriate forum. The level of discourse on most political talk shows is completely at odds with the importance and complexity of the subject matter. Unfortunately, those talk shows that do treat the subject matter with the appropriate level of analysis and civility are boring to listen to for hours on end. I guess hearing a guy like Michael Savage calling Democrats "the prophets of Gomorrah" is easier to digest in short sound bites than a civil discussion about the merits and dismerits of deficit spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I don't know when it started happening, but it just seems to me that political talk in general treats the whole process as some kind of spectator sport. If I want inane chatter, I'd much rather listen to sports radio. At least there, if the topics get trivialized down to winning and losing, it's the appropriate forum. The level of discourse on most political talk shows is completely at odds with the importance and complexity of the subject matter. Unfortunately, those talk shows that do treat the subject matter with the appropriate level of analysis and civility are boring to listen to for hours on end. I guess hearing a guy like Michael Savage calling Democrats "the prophets of Gomorrah" is easier to digest in short sound bites than a civil discussion about the merits and dismerits of deficit spending.

I definitely agree. While I like to know what the populous of America thinks about political matters, when it comes to nuanced analysis of issues, I prefer textual arguments where you can control your pace of consumption, and there's usually less risk of falling asleep at the wheel and maming innocent civilians.

Thread Information