Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: AIG Bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Rich, this is the concept "checks & balances" enshired in the Constitution of the good ol' US of A. Gotta love that, eh?

You set one bunch of dirty, greedy, power-hunger bastards to watch the other bunch of dirty, greedy, power-hunger bastards -- and hope that it's better than leaving to just one bunch of bastards in complete control.
    That only works if group 1 doesn't make deals with group 2, or group 3 (known as CEO's of dirty, greedy, power-hunger bastards-R-us)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Well, sour grapes aside, I would encourage you to step out of your windowless basement and take a look outside.

Warts and all, I would argue the top 2/3 of North America (USA, and Canada) have done quite well with capitalism. We are not perfect but the system in place allows us to constantly innovate and grow.

Check out other countries that don't allow the innovations and free market freedoms that we do. I wasn't kidding about North Korea. That system is pretty closed off, and "regulated". Doesn't appear that they are faring to well.

We don't live in a Utopia, nor should we pretend that it is the goal. I think that we as Americans are pretty good at b1tching, and profiting from the system at the same time. When we regulate we are "choking" innovation. However, if we remove constraints we complain that business has "free reign" over our lives in terms of pricing, supply, etc.

I am all for free markets. And I'm not so cynical to think that every gov't agency/employee is a "dirty, greedy, power-hunger bastard". No more than all employees for IT companies are nerdy dorks who can't get laid.:arf:
    Low blow right to the kahonas.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Low blow right to the kahonas.
    I perfer to think of it as "Game, Set, Match" to Beefy. Again.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Well, sour grapes aside, I would encourage you to step out of your windowless basement and take a look outside.
    You'll rarely find a house in Texas with a basement. At least not in North Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by beef
    Warts and all, I would argue the top 2/3 of North America (USA, and Canada) have done quite well with capitalism. We are not perfect but the system in place allows us to constantly innovate and grow.

Check out other countries that don't allow the innovations and free market freedoms that we do. I wasn't kidding about North Korea. That system is pretty closed off, and "regulated". Doesn't appear that they are faring to well.

We don't live in a Utopia, nor should we pretend that it is the goal. I think that we as Americans are pretty good at b1tching, and profiting from the system at the same time. When we regulate we are "choking" innovation. However, if we remove constraints we complain that business has "free reign" over our lives in terms of pricing, supply, etc.

I am all for free markets. And I'm not so cynical to think that every gov't agency/employee is a "dirty, greedy, power-hunger bastard". No more than all employees for IT companies are nerdy dorks who can't get laid.
    Good thing I'm not in IT. OTOH, "Chuck" doesn't seem to be doing too bad for himself.

I don't agree with many of tennets of Capitalism, but I accept it as the most logical alternative to the other forms, of which some have failed.

Suspended
    GM you and the wife should have had octuplets then your problems would have been solved. Boy, howdy at the exemptions and credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    GM you and the wife should have had octuplets then your problems would have been solved. Boy, howdy at the exemptions and credits.
    Poor wifey only weighs 100 pounds dripping wet.(up to 105 lbs at 5 months) Where would she fit 8 babies?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    Poor wifey only weighs 100 pounds dripping wet.(up to 105 lbs at 5 months) Where would she fit 8 babies?
    So in four months it'll be July. I'm gonna start storing BEER for the party right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    So in four months it'll be July. I'm gonna start storing BEER for the party right now!
    The party will be in PA. Can you pack those beers up and ship them north?
    Women will be upstairs with the karaoke. Guys downstairs with the beer, snacks, music & pool table.

Guys wanting to sing are welcome to go up, and gals wanting to drink and play pool are welcome to go down.

Suspended
    Did you say there would be women going down? What's the address?

Where to put eight babies, ever seen the movie Junior? Really though where would any female hold eight babies. That's a big litter for a dog, not to mention a woman.

Now more than ever, the American public is appreciating the not so subtle incestuousness of political and business relationships. When all is well, folks are happy to let things glide along, with all wheels well lubed and all cylinders pumping. On the other hand, when the mighty engine comes to a grinding halt, folks stand around wondering what in Hades' name happened? Are we that dumb or are we just daydream believers who are so quick to put our blind faith into a system that is bound to falter? Is this, then, the Grand Delusion?

The AIG disaster was bourne, in part, out of greed but also out of a willful ignorance that thought that such an industry, if left unregulated or unmonitored, would operate with only "the good" in mind. Well, folks get greedy, or they get sloppy, and when that happens, we all suffer. If the industry is pharmaceutical, people die or are seriously harmed. Chalk the blame up to Pharma or the AMA if you like, but it is the relationship between these two willing and complicit partners that really should get a look.

Some of the folks at AIG and elsewhere are really having a hard time, now. The cost of mental anguish and distress is at a very high point, and there's plenty of breakdown and suicide going down, but some of this was preventable.

For example, as a professional, I have to sleep with decisions that I have made and advice that I have given. I rest somewhat assured, however, because I keep abreast with current research and know that the evidence that I use to make these decisions is of the highest calibre. The folks from AIG, etc. who lose sleep are either those who did not apply diligent attention to the evidence at hand--they were sloppy--or folks who were happy to ride the ride the rollercoaster, knowing that the sheep would never hit the fan and the loot would keep pouring in--they were greedy.

I feel for these people (and especially their stricken families), but I am wary.
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 03-21-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Suspended
    What was well lubed?

Oh yeah....I think you can figger it out.
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 03-25-2009 at 08:06 AM.

So, Aa, are you saying that we should all just bend over?

That's about it, GM. BOHICA, indeed!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Suspended
    GM, did you have to "ah" and bend over in the same post?

Snicker snicker.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information