India unveiled $2000 Nano Car.

Tata Motors of India said it will launch its ultra-cheap Nano car in Mumbai on Monday, with a price tag of 100,000 rupees ($2,050). It is 10.2 feet long, has one windshield wiper, a 33 horsepower rear mounted (2 Cylinder) engine, 4 speed manual transmission and a 4 gallon gas tank. Radio is extra

If this car becomes available in U.S., I probably would buy one for $2000 price tag.

Here are some photos:

Last edited by Smokey; 03-22-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Cute car but those tires wouldn't even make it out my driveway in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Would any tires make it in Canadian winter

That's a lot of snow!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I love microcars. I want a Smart Car. I love my Toyota Echo. While working I have to drive a Buick Park Avenue. I keep waiting for the tugboats to help guide me out of the garage because that is a big old boat.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Don't hold your breath. The Nano doesn't come close to passing NA safety standards. For $2K, I'd feel a lot safer on a used motorcycle.

Suspended
    Those cars would be flattened in seconds on the freeways here. If ya ain't doin' 70 mph ya better just stay home.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Would any tires make it in Canadian winter

GAWD I SOOOO don't miss that crap!!!

Hey Festus, how's Nurse Ratchett doing? I haven't inquired about her recently, ya know?

I don't think that thing is amerian road safe. But I could see in packed streets of india or other asian countries how that little thing would be awesome.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    That Nano runs on a mixture of canola oil and curry.

I call the Smart Car the Dumb car. It costs as much as an entry level Honda Civic and is not even close to being competitive in performance, safety and resale value. It gets only a little better gas mileage. Why would anyone buy one? The Toyota Echo makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    If you purchase the optional strap, you could use it for a purse when your not driving it. Just think, never have to look for parking again.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

I agree with the all shortcomings stated with this car, but if safety issues are addressed (which probably add another $1k), IMO there is market for this type of car in US for that price range. Anybody that live and work in city limit could be a potential customer. Just make it illegal for freeway commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Hey Festus, how's Nurse Ratchett doing? I haven't inquired about her recently, ya know?
    To tell you the truth, she had gain weight during last few months. We all keep suggesting that she jog thru Central Park around midnight’s

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Don't hold your breath. The Nano doesn't come close to passing NA safety standards..
    I think emissions standards are another reason you won't be seeing these in North America.

Suspended
    I agree with the all shortcomings stated with this car, but if safety issues are addressed (which probably add another $1k), IMO there is market for this type of car in US for that price range. Anybody that live and work in city limit could be a potential customer. Just make it illegal for freeway commute.
    I see one or two "Smart" cars around here once-in-a-while. Sorry, them things just look too unsafe from a crash survival POV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus
    To tell you the truth, she had gain weight during last few months. We all keep suggesting that she jog thru Central Park around midnight’s
    I don't think any robber or rapist would come anywhere near that woman for fear of being labotomized.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I call the Smart Car the Dumb car. It costs as much as an entry level Honda Civic and is not even close to being competitive in performance, safety and resale value. It gets only a little better gas mileage. Why would anyone buy one?
    Truth

You can't just slap $1K worth of airbags on the thing and proclaim it crash worthy. The car would have to be re-engineered from the ground up to meet DOT crash worthiness.

More to the point, I sincerely doubt there is a market for a car like this. While our urban congestion is bad, we've got nothing on India. Look at the quote above and there's your answer. With the sheer amount of choices available to car buyers, it would be tough to make a business case for this wannabe car when there are so many real cars on the market.
    Last edited by topspeed; 03-24-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Truth
    Squish!!!

Thread Information