Why movies "suck" now

Printable View

  • 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM
    Smokey
    Why movies "suck" now
    http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.w...ng?w=600&h=337

    According to DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, audiences are flocking to theaters, but the quality of the movies are "unbelievably bad." Katzenberg appeared at Fortune's Brainstorm Tech conference last week in Aspen, Colo., where he offered the attendees some frank insight.

    Here's an edited portion of his comments:

    "Today the thing that is probably most askew in Hollywood is the issue of marketability versus playability, and what that really means is that there is this sort of unholy alliance that has existed forever between art and commerce, show and biz.

    Today, it's out of balance, and it's too much on the biz, too much on the commerce, too much on the marketability. The last seven or eight months of movies is the worst lineup of movies you've experienced in the last five years of your life. They suck. It's unbelievable how bad movies have been.

    It's a very entrepreneurial world, and I think you will see that right itself with time. But, right now -- today -- it's a particularly dreary moment."

    http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/...azines_fortune
  • 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
    filecat13
    Wow, that's a gummy smile! I'd like to see an animated movie based on that :nonod:
  • 07-29-2011, 09:39 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
    Wow, that's a gummy smile! I'd like to see an animated movie based on that :nonod:

    I think he based one of his animated charactor on that smile :D

    http://www.flash-screen.com/free-wal...-the-third.jpg
  • 07-30-2011, 01:52 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    After Katzenberg made this stupid statement he became the laughing stock of Hollywood. Pushing aside the gross revenue from Transformers, the movie itself has been widely panned by critics as being visually and aurally stunning, but shallow, bloated and loud. Harry Potter fared a lot better than Transformers, so Katzenberg smugly has contributed to the very thing he criticizes.
  • 07-30-2011, 07:04 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    After Katzenberg made this stupid statement he became the laughing stock of Hollywood. Pushing aside the gross revenue from Transformers, the movie itself has been widely panned by critics as being visually and aurally stunning, but shallow, bloated and loud. Harry Potter fared a lot better than Transformers, so Katzenberg smugly has contributed to the very thing he criticizes.

    He maybe talking about overall movies, not just few summer blockbusters. I mean if you look at movies coming from hollywood in last few years, it is mostly TV shows remake, sequels and comics book superheros. The creative side of movie making seem to be missing.

    Another reason might be that Hollywood seem to cater big budget films more to overseas audience than domestic since it is more visual than story line market.
  • 07-30-2011, 11:15 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    He maybe talking about overall movies, not just few summer blockbusters. I mean if you look at movies coming from hollywood in last few years, it is mostly TV shows remake, sequels and comics book superheros. The creative side of movie making seem to be missing.

    Another reason might be that Hollywood seem to cater big budget films more to overseas audience than domestic since it is more visual than story line market.

    Talky doesn't care, his main concern is how much money they make.
    A FAMOUS SCI FI writer said once that 99% of sci-fi is garbage,
    but 99% of everything is garbage.
    You always had to wade through a mile of crap to get to the good
    stuff, just like a library. This summer there are three.
    Cowboys and aliens
    Super eight

    And TRANSFORMERS, which, while not great lit, was a thrill ride and a half, and a halfway decent story.
    But by far COWBOYS IS THE BEST, saw it at a midnight
    showing, and while it does have great special effects, they are
    there for the sake of the great story.
    these are real people in this story, and they are spared none
    of the grief that comes with fighting a unfair fight, they die like real people, and they love their kin. Why are they fighting these aliens, FOR THEIR KIN, and they are seriously scared, this is the product of good acting.
    SAME with SUPER EIGHT, a really great film.
    SOME fail to find their audience, Lincoln LAWYER, out on BLU,
    etc, was an amazing example of great film making, deserved more
    success.
    BUT how many "great" films came out the same year as the
    "EMPIRE STRIKES BACK"?How many when CHINATOWN
    came out?
    Hollywood has always turned out ten turds for every jewel, its
    just now with costs so high the flops are more noticeable.
    Seems like a few years ago there was a trend towards smaller,
    quality films, but that sputtered out.
    IN ANY EVENT, you need to see COWBOYS. If we don't reward
    these types of endevours they won't get made, and that would be a loss.:1: