Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Well, thank goodness they throw in the disc!

Sony today released news that they will be introducing a laptop and desk top pc, both with a read/write blu-ray disc. The laptop will be around $35-3700 US and the desktop around $2300. The good news for consumers according to this article is that Sony (get this) AT NO CHARGE will throw in 1 (ONE) FREE Blu-Ray Disc. As of this time the Sony web site is bogged down with offers to capitalize on the FREE disc Promo.

What a deal, spend $2300, and they give you a FREE disc. Whooooo

See link here if you think your eyes are deceiving you about this unbeliveable story.
    http://news.com.com/Sony+unveils+Blu...3-6050698.html

Short article on notebook here: (in the middle of page, you may need to scroll down)
    It does appear that the laptop at least will have HDMI out.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/

nightflier
    Well if it will be a writable drive & disk, that's a whole different matter. Haven't seen any of those yet. From a computer-tech perspective, I can't wait to migrate my DVD backups to BluRay or HD. I need the capacity!

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    From what I have read, it appears to be r/rw. So now is your chance, spend the big bucks and get that FREE disk!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I'm more interested in that the disks are $25!?

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    From what I have read, it appears to be r/rw. So now is your chance, spend the big bucks and get that FREE disk!
    That's a pretty absurd price compared to the standard DVD media which is less than 50c ea. for a 16x 4.7g disk. Even if there were $5 ea it would be a stretch as you can get more than double that capacity for less with standard DVD.

Even if you don't care about the math, the real question with BlueRay is going to be durability. Up until they developed an exotic surface treatment, BlueRay disks had to be handled with the utmost care or the recorded surface would be damaged. How well this surface stands up to consumer use is going to be very interesting.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information