Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Take that BLU-Ray!!!!! A Sub $200 HD-DVD Player

Well it looks like the day of the sub $200 high definition player have arrived. Both Walmart and Circuit City will be offering the Toshiba HDA2 player for under $200.

Here is the link to the article at Daily Tech.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9426

Here is a link to the current offer at Circuit City.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshi...oductDetail.do

As you can see this news is indeed true.

Will this be a major blow to BLU-RAY? Only time will tell.

For those of you that are new to this tech check out the A2 review on the Audioreview.com homepage!!!!!

Forum Regular
    A major blow? Hardly, this player is discontinued.Circuit City is just trying to get rid of old stock that they apparently could not sell.This player does not even do 1080p.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    A major blow? Hardly, this player is discontinued.Circuit City is just trying to get rid of old stock that they apparently could not sell.This player does not even do 1080p.

bill
    Oh Snaps!! And the vast majority of US consumers don't own a TV that outputs 1080p! So perhaps it will sell fine to J6P. Either way, it DOES help put a price point into the mind of consumers. Makes one think twice about paying upwards of $400-500 for Blu, versus $199 for HD-DVD. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that these players upconvert regular DVD, so it's a win for ANY consumer thinking of going "up-convert". Now as a bonus they get HD-DVD.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    $200, as many have said, is when something reaches the impulse buy range for many people. It's just gotten low enough now that those on the fence may be convinced to buy. It may also put some over the edge and quit hesitating on buying an HDTV as well.

As a grad student, it has neither effect on me, I don't have $200 to spend on it anyway

What I want

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    Well it looks like the day of the sub $200 high definition player have arrived. Both Walmart and Circuit City will be offering the Toshiba HDA2 player for under $200.

... !!!!!
    Let me know if you see any HDTVs, say 40" or larger for $200 -- or let's say <$700. I won't be holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Let me know if you see any HDTVs, say 40" or larger for $200 -- or let's say <$700. I won't be holding my breath.
    And thats relevent how to the OP? I don't think that there is a direct correlation between TV price, and the price people are willing to pay for HD content. I spent plenty on my 50" pioneer plasma, but it still chaps my ass I have to pay DirecTV $9.99/month for HD programming.

Just because a TV is expensive doesn't mean consumers want to pay out the nose for HD-DVD/BluRay.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Getting a $700 720p 37" or larger TV not impossible

I guarantee that this holiday season you will be able to get a HD-DVD player and at least a 720p TV for under a grand together. 1080i 52" RPTVs have already been on sale as low as $700 and are awesome for HDTV content displayed in 1080i. Don't forget that 1080i on a CRT RPTV looks great with a 1080p source like HD-DVD. (With the best black level detail you can get)

Oh and 42" 720p plasmas are now dropping into the sub $1000 range. Although overall resolution is compromised in that way they are better overall with broadcast HDTV than RPTV because of the inherent flicker in some 1080i broadcasts when displayed in 1080i.

Anyhow, price is becoming much less of a concern here. HD is here.

If I can get a 37-42" first tier 720P LCD in the $700-800 range this winter (December - January timeframe) I may very well find some way to do it. It may involve me eating ramen for a few weeks

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey guys and gals, children of all ages...looks possibly like you won't have to wait until Christmas for spectacular, mindblowing, industry-changing, succulant HD deals. Read this thread...http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=36762

Obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    And thats relevent how to the OP? I don't think that there is a direct correlation between TV price, and the price people are willing to pay for HD content. I spent plenty on my 50" pioneer plasma, but it still chaps my ass I have to pay DirecTV $9.99/month for HD programming.

Just because a TV is expensive doesn't mean consumers want to pay out the nose for HD-DVD/BluRay.
    It's relevant in that I am one of those people who won't be buying an HD player or, obviously, subscribing to HD programming until they get an HDTV ... hmmm, I would say this is close to 100% of people.

My point is, luck saps who've got HDTV right now: you get to anquish over the price of HD players and programming -- not my problem, though.

Me too, pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    If I can get a 37-42" first tier 720P LCD in the $700-800 range this winter (December - January timeframe) I may very well find some way to do it. It may involve me eating ramen for a few weeks
    In addition, in my case, it would take one or maybe both of my "classic" 27" CRTs to die, die, die.

I that case I think I'd prefer beans and cabbage.

I'll just sell my 27" CRT to a friend. My original intention was to keep it the next few years until I was done with my PhD but I'm not sure I can last that long. So unless it dies and I have a good excuse to buy a TV, I may just end up replacing it with no good reason.

It's relevant in that I am one of those people who won't be buying an HD player or, obviously, subscribing to HD programming until they get an HDTV ... hmmm, I would say this is close to 100% of people.

My point is, luck saps who've got HDTV right now: you get to anquish over the price of HD players and programming -- not my problem, though.
    Well, in this case HDTV really isn't a requirement for a new DVD player. Lots of people don't have HDTV, but spend the money for a "upconvert" DVD player. Now, you get the upconvert, AND a HD-DVD system. So in the next year or so, you can fully utilize the HD-DVD portion when you get a HDTV.

Forum Regular
    My point was that the unit in question has been discontinued and is available in very limited numbers and the one that replace it is more money.A couple of hundred players is very small in the big picture.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Cool

My point was that the unit in question has been discontinued and is available in very limited numbers and the one that replace it is more money.A couple of hundred players is very small in the big picture.

bill
    I think thats the newer model that wallfart is selling, each store is only getting a few hundred units.
    In any event its sad to see HDDVD proponets talking about this as if its good news.
    Your product is being sold at fire sale prices, doesn't that worry you at least a little bit?
    AND I read on one of those links about the much higher return rate of plasma,
    which is no surprize, a glass envelope full of gas? PLEASE.
    The best "picture q " element IS HAVING A PICTURE
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

bill
    I would not underestimate the significance of this development. The numbers of HD A2s at Walmart that I heard for sale were in excess of 60,000 units (across all stores). Hardly "a couple hundred players." This is very significant for the HD DVD camp. It also may force the soon to be released HD DVD "bargain value" Venturer unit to sell for much less than that company planned to sell the unit for (also good for consumers and the HD DVD camp alike). This is coming at a crucial junction for both formats with the upcoming holiday shopping season.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Word is that these units are seling at Costco as well.

AAA members can find a 10% off coupon that can be used at CC. I also read that there was a $40 off coupon that could be used (floating around in the Sunday paper) buy YMMV with that one.

If I could get one of these for $160, I would. I have a 1080i display up front and a 720p in the bedroom. I'm holding out though because I think some bigger sells will be going on. Maybe I could get my hands on a XA2 for dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Word is that these units are seling at Costco as well.

AAA members can find a 10% off coupon that can be used at CC. I also read that there was a $40 off coupon that could be used (floating around in the Sunday paper) buy YMMV with that one.

If I could get one of these for $160, I would. I have a 1080i display up front and a 720p in the bedroom. I'm holding out though because I think some bigger sells will be going on. Maybe I could get my hands on a XA2 for dirt cheap.
    I saw that thread a few days ago and signed up for the "black friday" alerts.

Today's says:
    "Today we received a copy of the Sears Black Friday ad. The ad contains
    some really great deals on electronics and Craftsman tools. Some of the deals are:

- Sharp Aquos 46 inch LCD HDTV for $999
    - Nextar 1GB MP3 Player for $17.99
    - Toshiba HD-DVD Player for just $169.99."

www.black-friday.net
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Hmmm maybe somebody should start a Black Friday thread which sorts out all the upcoming HD sales, hardware and software. I vote for GM

Hmmm maybe somebody should start a Black Friday thread which sorts out all the upcoming HD sales, hardware and software. I vote for GM
    +1

Seriously though, putting the HD A2 deal aside, that deal on the Sharp 46 inch looks mighty fine. I wonder if that is a 1080p model? If so, I may have to camp out in front of Sears... ;-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

All you have to do is go to that link and sign up.

I'll be sure to post any deals on the PS3 I'm looking for.

I'f everyone likes, I'll post my alerts here each morning.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    +1

Seriously though, putting the HD A2 deal aside, that deal on the Sharp 46 inch looks mighty fine. I wonder if that is a 1080p model? If so, I may have to camp out in front of Sears... ;-)

---Dave
    Sorry,

Sharp 46 in. LCD HDTV, AQUOS

AQUOS' true 16:9 aspect ratio (1366 x 768 pixels) and ASV/Black TFT LCD Panel

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Sorry,

Sharp 46 in. LCD HDTV, AQUOS

AQUOS' true 16:9 aspect ratio (1366 x 768 pixels) and ASV/Black TFT LCD Panel
    Rats, I knew that was too good to be true. Still, at under $1000 it is a very good deal.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Here are the rest of the TV's on sale at Sears for BF.

Television
    Barbie Bloom Tube 13" TV With Digital Tuner $119.99
    LG 37" LCD HDTV $1099.99
    LG 42" Plasma HDTV $1099.99
    Panasonic 26-inch TC-26LX70 LCD HDTV $749.99
    Panasonic 56" LCD TV $1199.99
    Proscan 42-inch 42LA45H 1080p LCD HDTV $899.99
    Samsung 19-inch LCD HDTV $479.99
    Samsung 40" LCD HDTV $1499.99
    Samsung 46-inch LN-T4665F 1080p LCD HDTV $2499.99
    Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV $1399.9
    Sharp 19" LCD TV With DVD Player $299.99
    Sharp Aquos 46" LCD HDTV $999.99
    Sony 40" W-Series 1080p LCD HDTV With 3 HDMI Inputs $1999.99
    Sony 46-inch Bravia LCD HDTV $1999.99
    Sony 50-inch Bravia 3 LCD 1080p Projection HDTV $1799.99
    Sony Bravia 32" LCD HDTV $1099.99
    Sylvania 15" LCD TV With Digital Tuner $199.99
    Sylvania 42" Full 1080p LCD HDTV $899.99
    Toshiba 42" 1080p LCD HDTV $1599.99
    Venturer 19" LCD TV $199.99
    Vizio 32" LCD HDTV $598.00

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Geez guys, I am feelin' the love. What am I chopped liver? If you look a scant dozen or so posts up you'll see that I provided a link to two links on the subject...

It's a hard room I say.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information