Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Geez guys, I am feelin' the love. What am I chopped liver? If you look a scant dozen or so posts up you'll see that I provided a link to two links on the subject...

It's a hard room I say.
    Hey Bobsticks, I tried to hit you up with a greenie for that post, but I need to spread my love around a bit more.

Geez guys, I am feelin' the love. What am I chopped liver? If you look a scant dozen or so posts up you'll see that I provided a link to two links on the subject...

It's a hard room I say.
    Your links were fine (if not great).
    They asked, I posted.

Do you need more luv?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hey Bobsticks, I tried to hit you up with a greenie for that post, but I need to spread my love around a bit more.
    Gotcha both covered.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    That's a little bit of TMI my friend, and don't rush on my account

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Here are the rest of the TV's on sale at Sears for BF.

Television
    Barbie Bloom Tube 13" TV With Digital Tuner $119.99
    Looks like I'll be getting my wife that special present after all. And to think I was going to get her a washer. Plus being digital, its going to work after 2009. SWEET

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Looks like I'll be getting my wife that special present after all. And to think I was going to get her a washer. Plus being digital, its going to work after 2009. SWEET
    13"?

You're better off going this route. Pics of my new speakers!!!!!!

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    13"?

You're better off going this route. Pics of my new speakers!!!!!!
    Yeah, your right. 13" is probably too large to lug around the house when she does her housework. Plus if she drops it on her bare feet, it might break a toe.

I just thought the Barbie aspect was a real kicker.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    A $200 player with no full studio support is not the same as a $200 DVD player with full studio support.

This whole notion about impulse buying based on the $200 figure is gleaned from the DVD format. When the DVD format players reached $200, sales took off. However DVD had full studio support by the time players reached that price point. HD DVD does not have full studio support, and likely will never.

This $200 price point was advanced by Ken Graffaeo of Universal studios. He was using the DVD format as a reference point. HD DVD and Bluray are not DVD. When DVD players hit the $200 point, there was no format war. There were no "sides" to appeal to. There was no split studio support, and there was nobody telling anyone that if you buy this player you will not get Sony, Disney, Fox, Lionsgate or MGM movies. HD DVD has alway been a "cheaper" alternative to bluray. That has not really helped alot as player sales are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to standalones only.

While this is a discount to move stock, it sure does take the bite out of the $199 ventura player soon to be released. This is a point I made in another thread. Toshiba is pretty much killing the notion that any other manufacturer can make money supporting HD DVD. They have simply covered every price point that makes a difference to their supporters. With Toshiba's continued push downward, is there any way a company like Onkyo can sell a $899 player? I do not think so. The A2 are selling very well, the XA-2 not nearly as well, even at a discounted $539 dollars on Amazon. How does one think a player that costs $899 (onkyo is not a discounted brand) in a market that begs for players that are $500 and less?

Lastly there is a hidden charge for this player if you do not have a HDMI capable receiver. This player only supports the advance audio codecs through its HDMI outputs. There are no analog 5.1 on this player like there were on the A1. If you do not have a HDMI capable player, then you are stuck with legacy DD and Dts, because that is all it will support through its toslink connection. So its not just the new 720p or 1080i television you need, but that HDMI capable receiver as well, or you get no audio benefit over regular DVD. At least the cheapest bluray player has 5.1 analog outputs to hookup to non HDMI receivers for access to DTHD and uncompressed PCM soundtracks.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    A $200 player with no full studio support is not the same as a $200 DVD player with full studio support.

This whole notion about impulse buying based on the $200 figure is gleaned from the DVD format. When the DVD format players reached $200, sales took off. However DVD had full studio support by the time players reached that price point. HD DVD does not have full studio support, and likely will never.

This $200 price point was advanced by Ken Graffaeo of Universal studios. He was using the DVD format as a reference point. HD DVD and Bluray are not DVD. When DVD players hit the $200 point, there was no format war. There were no "sides" to appeal to. There was no split studio support, and there was nobody telling anyone that if you buy this player you will not get Sony, Disney, Fox, Lionsgate or MGM movies. HD DVD has alway been a "cheaper" alternative to bluray. That has not really helped alot as player sales are pretty much neck and neck when it comes to standalones only.
    Hey hey Sir T.,

This begs the questions though, "does Joe Six-Pack recognize that there is little studio support?". I mean I'm sure he/she/it recognizes that all the faves aren't out on HD DVD but are the specifics of this understood is the issue. Maybe, maybe not. It will be interesting to see.

Isn't Toshiba's damn-the-torpedoes approach predicated on the notion of property rights and the copyright of the phrase "DVD"? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Onkyo's only hope is that those that subscribe to brand loyalty will continue to do so. This may be optimistic at best, considering all the glowing reports on the net and on the street that the PS3 is getting.

Do the majority of buyers concern themselves with audio codecs or are they more impacted by the perceived value of a better picture? Does JSP even know what an audio codec is?

Hhhmmmnnn....

Hey hey Sir T.,

This begs the questions though, "does Joe Six-Pack recognize that there is little studio support?". I mean I'm sure he/she/it recognizes that all the faves aren't out on HD DVD but are the specifics of this understood is the issue. Maybe, maybe not. It will be interesting to see.
    Bob, all one has to do is walk over to the software rack and you can plainly see that you are getting very different movies on one player than on the other. That is the only open secret that even joe6pack can see.

Isn't Toshiba's damn-the-torpedoes approach predicated on the notion of property rights and the copyright of the phrase "DVD"? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.
    Actually Toshiba approach is to maintain the current royalties situration into the next generation format that they had with DVD. Toshiba was the big winner of DVD patent royalties, and if Bluray wins, they stand to lose a very valuable income stream coming to their coffers. As far as the phrase DVD, since they got approval from the DVD forum for HD DVD, they already have the rights to the DVD moniker. Since their standard was adopted as DVD in the first place, their rights to the DVD moniker have never been questioned. What toshiba is attempting to do is change the model of adoption for new video technologies. Instead of the traditional way of having higher player prices so manufacturers can recoup R&D investments, they have chosen to forgo this process and push prices to the bottom to get more players in the market. The problem with this approach is other manufacturers cannot make any money with prices so cheap so early.

Onkyo's only hope is that those that subscribe to brand loyalty will continue to do so. This may be optimistic at best, considering all the glowing reports on the net and on the street that the PS3 is getting.
    The problem with Onkyo entering the market under this format is the biggest selling point is cheap price for the technology. That is the main talking point of the HD DVD PG. Toshiba has not done all that well with their players that cost over $500. Onkyo would have been better off selling a bluray player because bluray owners apparently do not mind paying for a top quality player.

Do the majority of buyers concern themselves with audio codecs or are they more impacted by the perceived value of a better picture? Does JSP even know what an audio codec is?

Hhhmmmnnn....
    I am sure not many joe6packs know what a codec is, but they know when something sounds good, or better. Can you imagine yourself as a joe6pack going to a HD DVD site and reading a HD DVD review of transformers as they talk about how good DD+ is, and you find out that you cannot have it because your receiver does not support it. The biggest selling point of the DVD format was better sound and pictures. If you are only getting better pictures and not sound, was it worth the price? One guy who works in the mailroom at my job bought it(the A2) and when he realized that he could not access DTHD or DD+, but could only get regular DD, he returned the player. He is just one case, imagine other going through this same excercise.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    This whole notion about impulse buying based on the $200 figure is gleaned from the DVD format. When the DVD format players reached $200, sales took off.
    No it's not just from DVD players. $200 is the generally accepted price point where many things enter the realm of impulse buying.

More and more GPS units are getting close to that price point, and once they do many expect their sales to skyrocket. The DVD player is a good example of something that followed that trend, it's a price people can accept for something they aren't even sure they need yet.

I am sure not many joe6packs know what a codec is, but they know when something sounds good, or better. Can you imagine yourself as a joe6pack going to a HD DVD site and reading a HD DVD review of transformers as they talk about how good DD+ is, and you find out that you cannot have it because your receiver does not support it. The biggest selling point of the DVD format was better sound and pictures. If you are only getting better pictures and not sound, was it worth the price? One guy who works in the mailroom at my job bought it(the A2) and when he realized that he could not access DTHD or DD+, but could only get regular DD, he returned the player. He is just one case, imagine other going through this same excercise.
    My thinking is that the guy in your mailroom is an anomoly (and presumably works in the audio industry, at least loosely). And while it's true that the average consumer may be a bit more educated due to the internet these price drops are bringing things to the point of impulse buy consideration and into the realm of J6P. I have not any case study to support that, just the blather that I hear coming out of folks' pieholes when their gawking at shiny, new toys.

My point isn't that HD-DVD will "win" or is a better product, but that at the current rate could make enough market penetration to at least lengthen the war a bit. As for the other stuff, thanks for sharing your perception as it pretty much solidified what I already suspected.

Amazon has also gotten on board for $197.99 with free shipping. I just bought one for our bedroom TV along with an HDMI cable for $210 all in. I guess the impulse buy strategy worked on me. ;-)

----Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    Amazon has also gotten on board for $197.99 with free shipping. I just bought one for our bedroom TV along with an HDMI cable for $210 all in. I guess the impulse buy strategy worked on me. ;-)

----Dave
    Dave, you are hardly a joe6pack buddy LOL. I personally would not touch it, too many issues dog this player. Some players play fine, others I have read on AVS have had quite a few problems. This to me is a sign of QC issues.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

My thinking is that the guy in your mailroom is an anomoly (and presumably works in the audio industry, at least loosely). And while it's true that the average consumer may be a bit more educated due to the internet these price drops are bringing things to the point of impulse buy consideration and into the realm of J6P. I have not any case study to support that, just the blather that I hear coming out of folks' pieholes when their gawking at shiny, new toys.

My point isn't that HD-DVD will "win" or is a better product, but that at the current rate could make enough market penetration to at least lengthen the war a bit. As for the other stuff, thanks for sharing your perception as it pretty much solidified what I already suspected.
    Actually is a VERY non audio type of guy. What he was expecting was the A2 to be like his bluray player. Something he could just plug and play in his current system that has no HDMI inputs.

All of this is just anecdotal, but my buddy who is manager at a BB in the bay area has instructed all of his sales person to let the customer know what studios support which players to combat all of the returns he is getting.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

----Dave
    Yeah I thought about pulling the trigger myself, but I think I'll wait. Not bad for a bedroom unit.

In my situation, I'd probably get one for my main system and eventually move it to another room if i ever upgraded to a higher quality HD DVD player. I have plenty of shelf space and an extra HDMI input on my Yammie waiting to be used.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile I have the D2(Same as A2)

Dave, you are hardly a joe6pack buddy LOL. I personally would not touch it, too many issues dog this player. Some players play fine, others I have read on AVS have had quite a few problems. This to me is a sign of QC issues.
    I bought that baby refurbished from Tigerdirect for about $200 and so far I haven't seen any problems. I also have the A20, and two A1s. They all work!!!! The upconversion seems high quality as I was mesmerized with the ever cheesy Nightmare on Elm Street 3 on DVD with the D2. I remembered that movie as a kid being a whole lot better. Sure it stunk but it looked great. With the firmware updates you get new features, too. Its not a bad investment.

OK, maybe I'm not Joe6pack... ;-) Still I am referred to by many who know me as "Mr. Cheap" (believe it or not). I like a good value as good as the next guy -- maybe moreso.

As for the quality issues, I think I heard somewhere that the manufacturing facilities on these were switched to China on many units. It would not shock me if that has something to do with the quality issues. In my case, by purchasing from Amazon, I know they will make good if anything goes amiss (fingers crossed though). Of course with my luck I'll get a China unit. :-(

I realize the A2 is not representative of the best the two formats have to offer, but our 40 inch 1080p Sony Bravia TV in the bedroom most likely is too small for us to notice the difference and the price is right at sub $200 with the 5 free HD DVD offer.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Did anyone think...

That regardless of whether or not this player becomes obsolete as a HD-DVD player (if Blu-ray wins out), but it still serves as a good $200 DVD player that is probably better than any $200 basic DVD player at this point. This price-point is definitely tempting for many. I am most likely going to be getting the new LG dual format player to review in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    That regardless of whether or not this player becomes obsolete as a HD-DVD player (if Blu-ray wins out), but it still serves as a good $200 DVD player that is probably better than any $200 basic DVD player at this point. This price-point is definitely tempting for many. I am most likely going to be getting the new LG dual format player to review in the next few weeks.
    BUT most wouldnt pay 200 bucks for a "good" dvd player.
    AND spending 200 bucks on anything that will be obsolete in a few years is never a good bargain.
    And what does "joe sixpack" say when he finds out that his player is a "no disney"
    zone? A lot of hddisc viewers say that DVD doesnt cut it after seeing hd discs of either format, so the value as a DVD player is a bit nebulous to say the least.
    Make a good boat anchor tho
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    BUT most wouldnt pay 200 bucks for a "good" dvd player.
    AND spending 200 bucks on anything that will be obsolete in a few years is never a good bargain.
    And what does "joe sixpack" say when he finds out that his player is a "no disney"
    zone? A lot of hddisc viewers say that DVD doesnt cut it after seeing hd discs of either format, so the value as a DVD player is a bit nebulous to say the least.
    Make a good boat anchor tho
    Just about everything in electronics becomes obsolete to some degree....It's become second nature for people to replace electronics with the understanding that something newer, better, faster or whatever lie ahead. It's the same with computers.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Just about everything in electronics becomes obsolete to some degree....It's become second nature for people to replace electronics with the understanding that something newer, better, faster or whatever lie ahead. It's the same with computers.
    TRUE enough, but spending 200 bucks on something that wont be here that long and has a limited studio support seems silly when you can get a Blu for 399 with 5 free
    movies, and it will be around awhile, I mean, an extra 200 bucks?
    Is that really that much?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

OK, maybe I'm not Joe6pack... ;-) Still I am referred to by many who know me as "Mr. Cheap" (believe it or not). I like a good value as good as the next guy -- maybe moreso.---Dave

uummm, Dave, you know your equipment list appears right below your posts, right? That "Mr Cheap" thing is a bit of a hard sell.

uummm, Dave, you know your equipment list appears right below your posts, right? That "Mr Cheap" thing is a bit of a hard sell.
    Maybe "Mr. Value" is a better descriptor. ;-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

drichardson

Smile Nail in the Blu-Ray Coffin

"My point was that the unit in question has been discontinued and is available in very limited numbers and the one that replace it is more money.A couple of hundred players is very small in the big picture.

bill"

The problem Bill is that Wal-mart will be selling the discontinued unit at $98.87
    and Sears has announced the new unit (A3) at 169.00 bundled with two free movies and a mail in offer for 5 more free movies. You can't beat that with a stick!

Unless Sony comes up with something - I hear death bells for Blu-Ray despite content - 1080p vs 1080i vs 720p ? 720p is fine with me. It all comes to the point of diminishing returns - unless you have JM Lab type dollars .

Infinity Kappa 6 (x3)
    Snell E-II (X3)
    Sharp HDTV Projector
    Yahmaha and DBX amplification
    HTPC
    32 Inch HDCP monitor
    xbox 360 hd-dvd

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information