Thread: Spam!

Spam!

Anyone else notice the board has been getting hit recently?
    http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=28490

Suspended
    You'll get used to it. Me, I try to make the best of a sad situation.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If anyone truly wants to make the best of a sad situation use the Report Post feature by clicking on the Report Post link. The link is in the bottom left corner of the screen and it resembles a red and white triangle. This will send a message to we mods and one of us will respond and delete. If you do not report the post it will still be deleted when one of us notice it. Thanks to those who use the report post function and to those who do not but complain about spam you are not part of the solution.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    FYI --- I reported a post recently I thought was supsicious but received no response and it is still there. There was another one in the past with similar results. I just had presumed that the report system was not working.

RR6

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    FYI --- I reported a post recently I thought was supsicious but received no response and it is still there. There was another one in the past with similar results. I just had presumed that the report system was not working.

RR6
    Yeah, same here, and I think you'd have to agree JohnMichael that I've been very vigilent with reporting spam. Not only that but I've made suggestions on more than one occasion about possibilities on how to handle this ongoing flaw with this website. Not once have I gotten a response of any type from you or E-stat when I've sent PM's to you. If they're not good ideas, or ideas that wouldn't work, I'd stop making the suggestions if I knew that, but my messages seem to constantly get ignored. Adam is the only person who's responded to me publicly or privately, so what am I supposed to think?

RR6

RR6 the only reported posts I have received from members in the month of October have been from Audionoob and L.J. (thanks guys). Did you use the report post feature or some other method. Please rereport the post so I can check it out or PM me. Thanks.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    Geoffcin deleted the last post I reported. I'm not about to get into a pissing contest with you John and end up looking like the heavy; I've reported plenty of spam this month and many months preceding. Isn't policing the site for spam part of the job of a moderator?

my bad most of the boards i freq dont have the report post feature enabled, and there was no site sugg/bugs section.
    I PM'ed on of the mods last time i saw a spam thread,

wasnt complaining, just trying to help

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Geoffcin deleted the last post I reported. I'm not about to get into a pissing contest with you John and end up looking like the heavy; I've reported plenty of spam this month and many months preceding. Isn't policing the site for spam part of the job of a moderator?

I am on this site everyday in the morning and evening. In between I go to work. Being a mod is a volunteer position so I still must work. Sometimes spam happens when I am not logged on to AR. Whichever mod finds the spam first will delete it. I have seen where you have made comments to the spammers but that does not alert the mods. If you are PM'ing a specific mod about spam he may not be able to be the first to respond. If the report post is used both mods and admins are notified.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitIrish
    my bad most of the boards i freq dont have the report post feature enabled, and there was no site sugg/bugs section.
    I PM'ed on of the mods last time i saw a spam thread,

wasnt complaining, just trying to help

Only the instructions on how to use the report post was for you. We do try to respond to the reports as quickly as we can. I read your post and deleted the threads, thanks.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Suspended
    If you're inferring John that I'm lying about reporting the crap then we have a serious problem. I don't PM ANYBODY when I see spam. I report it. If there are records that show who reported it, check them. I have no way of proving it, which apparently you're well aware of, but I don't feel my integrity here should be called into question. You knew going in that the position is voluntary, but the problem seems to be that there is no pro-active involvement by the mods.

Truthfully John, I think you carry some resentment towards me for exposing the troll SVI for what he really was. I got plenty of supportive e-mails during those exchanges and I have a pretty good idea of my value to this community. If you don't like me, fine, there's plenty of room for the both of us. But arguing over something as trivial as this serves no purpose IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    If you're inferring John that I'm lying about reporting the crap then we have a serious problem. I don't PM ANYBODY when I see spam. I report it. If there are records that show who reported it, check them. I have no way of proving it, which apparently you're well aware of, but I don't feel my integrity here should be called into question. You knew going in that the position is voluntary, but the problem seems to be that there is no pro-active involvement by the mods.

Truthfully John, I think you carry some resentment towards me for exposing the troll SVI for what he really was. I got plenty of supportive e-mails during those exchanges and I have a pretty good idea of my value to this community. If you don't like me, fine, there's plenty of room for the both of us. But arguing over something as trivial as this serves no purpose IMO.

Rich the mods do not have all the system access as the admin's so we are not able to be pro-active. We find spam and delete it, job done. We can close threads that are getting out of hand and ban people when appropriate. As I have done. As far as SVI it sounds like you are carrying the resentment. I am glad you have a fan club.

Oh and as far as it being voluntary I was asked to be a mod and did not volunteer. Since I care about the site I wanted to try to help. Now when I delete spam I physically remove it because some members felt all the deleted posts junked up the message boards. I do not know if anyone is aware now of what I delete. My alarm will sound at 6 AM EST and I will be hunting for spam with my first cup of coffee. Then off to Grand Jury where I will help indict the local felons. Then back home to check the site.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 10-29-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    RR6 the only reported posts I have received from members in the month of October have been from Audionoob and L.J. (thanks guys). Did you use the report post feature or some other method. Please rereport the post so I can check it out or PM me. Thanks.
    I used the report feature and hit the send report button. I just sent it again. Thanks.

RR6

I used the report feature and hit the send report button. I just sent it again. Thanks.

RR6

RR6 I have not received a report post as yet. It might be a good idea to include a link to the offensive post in this thread or PM me. I am not sure why it is not working for you. Thanks for your time in this matter.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Hey JM,

How's it going buddy? I miss you around here.
    I have reported a few SPAMs over the last couple of months (one this week). Have you been getting mine? I haven't put in my initials because I assumed you would see who they were from. Does that matter? If you aren't getting mine, then maybe the system isn't working for everyone.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hey JM,

How's it going buddy? I miss you around here.
    I have reported a few SPAMs over the last couple of months (one this week). Have you been getting mine? I haven't put in my initials because I assumed you would see who they were from. Does that matter? If you aren't getting mine, then maybe the system isn't working for everyone.

GMichael I just used your post as a test. I should be receiving information about your BAD post. The posts you reported were they deleted? I am wondering if a post is deleted before the Report message is received maybe that cancels the report. I will check with Adam.

As far as what I have been up to just having a lot of fun. I spend a lot of time at a neighbors place watching tv drinking wine and hanging out. Weekend trips to Columbus and other activities keep me busy. Still a little healing from the bicycle accident. I am also on jury duty for the Grand Jury. We meet every Thursday for 3 months. It is a little tough hearing for hours about all the ugliness in my county. Rapes, abuse, drugs, thefts, felonius assaults and murder darken my Thursdays. I am minutes away from a martini. Just today we heard how a woman's neck fell on a knife. Maybe I will hide under my covers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

GMichael I just used your post as a test. I should be receiving information about your BAD post. The posts you reported were they deleted? I am wondering if a post is deleted before the Report message is received maybe that cancels the report. I will check with Adam.

As far as what I have been up to just having a lot of fun. I spend a lot of time at a neighbors place watching tv drinking wine and hanging out. Weekend trips to Columbus and other activities keep me busy. Still a little healing from the bicycle accident. I am also on jury duty for the Grand Jury. We meet every Thursday for 3 months. It is a little tough hearing for hours about all the ugliness in my county. Rapes, abuse, drugs, thefts, felonius assaults and murder darken my Thursdays. I am minutes away from a martini. Just today we heard how a woman's neck fell on a knife. Maybe I will hide under my covers.
    The one I reported this week did get deleted, but not right away. You think that if Estat deleted it, then your alert deletes with it? I did a test today too, and even signed it to be sure. Did you get that one?

Hanging out huh? My assistant uses the phrase "hanging out" to mean she was getting laid.

When is your 3 months up? Seems like you've been doing this for awhile.
    No hiding. Not after you stood up to that jerk in the hall that day. No fear John is what we call you now.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The one I reported this week did get deleted, but not right away. You think that if Estat deleted it, then your alert deletes with it? I did a test today too, and even signed it to be sure. Did you get that one?

Hanging out huh? My assistant uses the phrase "hanging out" to mean she was getting laid.

When is your 3 months up? Seems like you've been doing this for awhile.
    No hiding. Not after you stood up to that jerk in the hall that day. No fear John is what we call you now.

Thanks and it would not be fear that caused me to want to shut out the world it is the sadness I see in the victims. Or the sadness of lives destroyed by bad decisions.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thanks and it would not be fear that caused me to want to shut out the world it is the sadness I see in the victims. Or the sadness of lives destroyed by bad decisions.
    If you're trying to make me cry, it aint gonna,,.....

sniff

sniff....

Stop it! Don't look at me like that!

I'll check with our engineer to make sure the report post function is working correctly.

I don't believe that I am getting any reported post like I am with mtbr.com, so, something might be screwy.

I'll have an answer for you'll on Monday. And you are welcome to PM me about spam as well.

Thanks
    -adam

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I'll check with our engineer to make sure the report post function is working correctly.

I don't believe that I am getting any reported post like I am with mtbr.com, so, something might be screwy.

I'll have an answer for you'll on Monday. And you are welcome to PM me about spam as well.

Thanks
    -adam

Adam,

My last reported posts I received was 10/17and 10/22. I have never received the test reported post I sent last evening.

Thanks,
    JohnMichael
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Adam,

My last reported posts I received was 10/17and 10/22. I have never received the test reported post I sent last evening.

Thanks,
    JohnMichael

There we go, something might be screwy. I don't know of any system changes this month, so maybe some code broke. I've sent off an email to engineering and will bug them more on monday.

Thread Information