• 03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
    ericl
    Sound & Vision Reviews the LG BH100 Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Player
    LG BH100 Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD Player

Quote:

BOTTOM LINE Ultimately, deciding whether to own the LG BH100 Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD player is likely to depend on whether you're a glass-half-empty or half-full type of person. If you're the former, then this player's limited video and audio output options, HDMI incompatibilities, and inability to play audio CDs or perform basic interactive functions with HD DVDs make it a hard sell. But if you're the latter, you'll be rewarded by the BH100's fine picture with Blu-ray Discs, HD DVDs, and regular DVDs. Not to mention the advantage of using a single machine to watch all three. That convenience alone is a small slice of heaven.
  • 03-01-2007, 05:48 PM
    westcott
    My father always used to say, "If you are not going to do it right, then don't do it all!!!!"
  • 03-07-2007, 10:17 PM
    For 12 bills, wouldn't one's money be better spent buying a Toshiba HDVD player and a PS3?
  • 03-07-2007, 11:02 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Boooooooooooooooooo
    That's about the most backwards thing I've ever heard and I am superbly disappointed!!! How lame is it that it can't even play a stinkin' CD? So, let me get this straight...

LG wanted to make a player that could play both Blu-ray and HD-DVD...yeah finally.

BUT....

It's not really fully able to play all features of both formats and it only does part of the job and it also can't play a CD, unlike any DVD player out there (even the ones that cost $20).

PATHETIC and the consumer's out there should let out a loud and synchronized BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • 03-08-2007, 09:54 AM
    ericl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    For 12 bills, wouldn't one's money be better spent buying a Toshiba HDVD player and a PS3?

good point!
  • 03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    That's about the most backwards thing I've ever heard and I am superbly disappointed!!! How lame is it that it can't even play a stinkin' CD? So, let me get this straight...

LG wanted to make a player that could play both Blu-ray and HD-DVD...yeah finally.

BUT....

It's not really fully able to play all features of both formats and it only does part of the job and it also can't play a CD, unlike any DVD player out there (even the ones that cost $20).

PATHETIC and the consumer's out there should let out a loud and synchronized BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I disagree. If there's any place that they should have cut corners, it's on the CD. Most everyone in the world already has a CD player, that's the last thing they would need another one of. And 99% of the time, the review goes something like: "for a universal player, it plays SACD and DVD-A fine, but I'd still get a dedicated CD player for CD's if 99% of your collection is in CD format". So yeah, I agree with their decision to eschew that one particular cost-increasing capability.
  • 03-08-2007, 06:08 PM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I disagree. If there's any place that they should have cut corners, it's on the CD. Most everyone in the world already has a CD player, that's the last thing they would need another one of. And 99% of the time, the review goes something like: "for a universal player, it plays SACD and DVD-A fine, but I'd still get a dedicated CD player for CD's if 99% of your collection is in CD format". So yeah, I agree with their decision to eschew that one particular cost-increasing capability.

I'm not sure where the incompatibility kicks in, whether it's a drive issue or a firmware issue or what not. I also wonder about whether it can output a CD's PCM bitstream to an external decoder, since it uses a HDMI 1.2a connection. Remember that CD playback isn't even officially part of the DVD spec, and some early DVD models also could not play CDs.

If anything, these shortcomings with LG's dual-format player make it seem more like a "proof of concept" prototype than anything remotely resembling a finished product, not to mention a product that can swing the direction of the ongoing format war. From what I understand, LG's dual-format drives and players started off as garden variety Blu-ray players, but got the HD-DVD features added on much later in the development process. This might explain why that dual-format player wears a Blu-ray logo with no official markings for HD-DVD.
  • 03-08-2007, 06:34 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I'm not sure where the incompatibility kicks in, whether it's a drive issue or a firmware issue or what not.

CD would require an additional laser.
  • 03-08-2007, 07:24 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    Dance Off
    Wooch and Dusty...

I think you two should have a "Dance off" to see who is more right than the other one. Then we'll see WHO GOT SERVED.
  • 03-08-2007, 07:31 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    If you are a smart shopper
    And you want both today you can find a dedicated BLURAY player for $700 and a dedicated HD-DVD player for just $350. This universal crap is total bunk.
  • 03-08-2007, 07:36 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    "I got dibs on top bunk"
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    And you want both today you can find a dedicated BLURAY player for $700 and a dedicated HD-DVD player for just $350. This universal crap is total bunk.

If people are concerned about a dedicated CD player, than why are they not concerned about a dedicated HD-DVD Player and Blu-ray player? Perhaps it's best to have one of each????? Good point Robert-the-Rambler.
  • 03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Wooch and Dusty...

I think you two should have a "Dance off" to see who is more right than the other one. Then we'll see WHO GOT SERVED.

Do whut now? There is no "more right" -- there is right, there is wrong, and there are opinions. I'm not contradicting anything woochifer is saying, he just didn't seem to be too sure as to why LG chose to eschew CD, and I was 'splaining it to him.
  • 03-08-2007, 08:07 PM
    jrhymeammo
    S&v?
    people still read that crap?
  • 03-08-2007, 09:13 PM
    Instead of a dual-format player, wouldn't it make far more sense to have a dual-format disk? Or if that doesn't work, how about getting both the BR and HD-DVD disks in one package. After all, we're paying for the software, not the format.
  • 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    Quote:

Instead of a dual-format player, wouldn't it make far more sense to have a dual-format disk?

Not if it's not going to be compatible with all players like DualDisk.
  • 03-09-2007, 09:57 AM
    Woochifer
    Quote:

Instead of a dual-format player, wouldn't it make far more sense to have a dual-format disk? Or if that doesn't work, how about getting both the BR and HD-DVD disks in one package. After all, we're paying for the software, not the format.

Warner has already introduced the dual-format Total HD flipper disc. Like Dusty, I have questions about whether it will work with all players, and support multiple layers. The DualDisc created problems for slot loading CD players, and the PS3 (which comprises the majority of the HD disc viewers) uses a slot loader. Here's the previous thread on this topic.

http://forums.audioreview.com/news-rumors/total-hd-end-bluray-hd-dvd-war-sight-21059.html
  • 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM
    Personally, I think DualDisk was a kludge. A little common sense should have told Warner that a thicker disk was going to be a problem. If that's the only way to do it, then forget it. Instead, let customers have both disks in one package. If the format war drags on for years or both formats die a slow death without a clear winner, then at least don't let the customers suffer for the pig-headedness of the corporations who won't settle on a standard.
  • 03-09-2007, 09:55 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    That's just crazy talk. Next thing, you'll be asking for pan&scan to be sold in the same package as widescreen...