• 07-11-2006, 07:15 AM
    Geoffcin
    Sony patent stirs worry over next PlayStation
    Sony Corp. has patented technology that would prevent its PlayStation consoles from playing used, rented or borrowed video games - raising questions about whether the electronics and entertainment giant may attempt to redefine what it means to own something in the digital age.

Full Story;

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...ness-headlines
  • 07-11-2006, 07:29 AM
    kexodusc
    PS3 has enough problems going for it, they don't need this. Sounds like old news dug up to stir up some controversy though - I can't imagine Sony being dumb enough to try it - think Blockbuster would be buying Sony games anymore?
  • 07-11-2006, 08:37 AM
    Geoffcin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    PS3 has enough problems going for it, they don't need this. Sounds like old news dug up to stir up some controversy though - I can't imagine Sony being dumb enough to try it - think Blockbuster would be buying Sony games anymore?

Maybe not games, but the tech is just as easily used in BlueRay disks.
  • 07-11-2006, 09:04 AM
    kexodusc
    That would basically put Blockbuster out of business if the transition to HD formats ever takes place...hmmm, somehow I think Sony would lose that popularity contest...Would you buy a player that you couldn't rent DVD's for, when the titles were priced double the competition's?
    On the plus side, they probably wouldn't make nearly as many crappy movies...
  • 07-11-2006, 10:00 AM
    Geoffcin
    maybe....but
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    That would basically put Blockbuster out of business if the transition to HD formats ever takes place...hmmm, somehow I think Sony would lose that popularity contest...Would you buy a player that you couldn't rent DVD's for, when the titles were priced double the competition's?
    On the plus side, they probably wouldn't make nearly as many crappy movies...

This tech combined with the orwellian "phone-home" tech that is built into the BlueRay spec would enable them to licence you to a limited amount of times views. Once you hit the limit the disk becomes unplayable in your unit. (or perhaps it disables the player!)

Next step I guess would be GPS enabled players to see if you've tried to defeat this tech by moving the player along with the disk!
  • 07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
    likeitloud
    Sheesh:yikes: As if there is'nt enough junk to stress about, now some clown is
    gonna put a chip or something in our dvd's that may or may not fry a $500 player.
    Maybe it can self distruct after 1 use. I was going to get a ps3, but my xb 360 is
    doing just fine. Thanks for the info.
  • 07-11-2006, 01:03 PM
    superpanavision70mm
    Remember DIVX and Circuit City?
  • 07-11-2006, 04:20 PM
    audio_dude
    sry to burst this bubble, but this was a rumor many months ago...

its not gonna happen, sony would be digging they're own grave if they did that\

and to think, i have to waste my 250 post busting a rumor, well, its what i do!
  • 07-11-2006, 04:52 PM
    superpanavision70mm
    well, i guess it's better than wasting a post on a stupid question or response.