Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    nightflier
    Duds, what indication do you have that millions will jump ship is Stern is given the boot?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Another end-around by dumbass. Avoid the question. Hold your feet to the fire and the result is... insults.

So, we have dumbass telling us there are 1,000 FREE jazz stations; I ask him to prove it and I get "LAZY-BOY". E-stat asks for mobile sources that are free and provide such variety... he gets "You havent demonstrated that you have any ears."

You know good and well that there are thousands of jazz radio stations on the web, I
    googled "jazz radio" and got 36 thousand hits, each with from several hundred to several thousand stations.
    DO you actually think I care enough about your opinion to actually post a thousand links to a thousand
    jazz radio stations, a total waste of time (much like yourself) when you just have to hit the search button to get thousands?
    THE POINT, (other than the one on your head) is that there is a lot more content on the web than sirius, and its free.
    AND I HAVE A LIFE.
    So shut up about a thousand radio stations ...DUMBASS
    As for estats request I replied to him.
    I would much rather "roll my own" programming than listen to low res CRAP.
    Understand? I know its hard for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    his fans follow him wherever he goes. and if he sirius gives him the boot, his fans are going to say F YOU to Sirius and cancel their sub.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Duds, what indication do you have that millions will jump ship is Stern is given the boot?
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    DO you actually think I care enough about your opinion to actually post a thousand links to a thousand
    jazz radio stations, a total waste of time (much like yourself) when you just have to hit the search button to get thousands?
    No I don't, which is why I don't give your aruments here or in any other thread you participate in any credence whatsoever. There are sooo many people here who DO provide accurate and supported info...you ain't one of them.

BTW, how come you didn't crap in my thread about TI's pico projector, dumbass?

nightflier
    Duds, a lot of this will have to do with how he leaves. If he pulls one of those baseball-player-type the-contract-isn't-enough stunts, there will be a lot of people who won't follow him. Stern isn't exactly the kind of guy to shy away from pissing people off, especially the corporate types who run the stations he's been on. So a lot will depend on how it's played out.

Another issue is whether he'll find another home. It could very well be that no one will pay him that well. There's been quite a few other people before him who thought they could keep asking for such lofty contracts, but in the end, this is a different economy. Bill Maher (I know not the same audience, but still) also thought he was worth more, well now he knows better. Wouldn't it be a kick in Stern's "private parts" if he marketed himself out of his own job? I'm sure his lawyers and publicists will advise him properly, but you never know.

Finally, how much more does Stern have to offer? Is there anything from him that we haven't heard yet? Frankly it isn't that interesting anymore. Sex jokes, off-color commentary, and shock-jock tactics eventually just boil down to the same slap-stick humor and gets boring. It's just a sad fact of this type of industry. Seriously, what can Stern offer or promise to the next corporate executives and bean counters who would consider him? Stern has been to the edge of censorship and there's not much else he can pull that will be "new."

Granted, I have the same opinion about cooking shows, but that's another topic altogether.

Forum Regular
    I know where you're coming from, I guess we can agree to disagree

And although you may be burnt out with his content, doesnt necessarily mean his fans are. I've been a fan for a LONG time now, and i am not bored with the show at all. To me Artie brings a lot to the table, and Sal and Richard as well.

Duds, a lot of this will have to do with how he leaves. If he pulls one of those baseball-player-type the-contract-isn't-enough stunts, there will be a lot of people who won't follow him. Stern isn't exactly the kind of guy to shy away from pissing people off, especially the corporate types who run the stations he's been on. So a lot will depend on how it's played out.

Another issue is whether he'll find another home. It could very well be that no one will pay him that well. There's been quite a few other people before him who thought they could keep asking for such lofty contracts, but in the end, this is a different economy. Bill Maher (I know not the same audience, but still) also thought he was worth more, well now he knows better. Wouldn't it be a kick in Stern's "private parts" if he marketed himself out of his own job? I'm sure his lawyers and publicists will advise him properly, but you never know.

Finally, how much more does Stern have to offer? Is there anything from him that we haven't heard yet? Frankly it isn't that interesting anymore. Sex jokes, off-color commentary, and shock-jock tactics eventually just boil down to the same slap-stick humor and gets boring. It's just a sad fact of this type of industry. Seriously, what can Stern offer or promise to the next corporate executives and bean counters who would consider him? Stern has been to the edge of censorship and there's not much else he can pull that will be "new."

Granted, I have the same opinion about cooking shows, but that's another topic altogether.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

nightflier
    Fair enough.

Cool

No I don't, which is why I don't give your aruments here or in any other thread you participate in any credence whatsoever. There are sooo many people here who DO provide accurate and supported info...you ain't one of them.

BTW, how come you didn't crap in my thread about TI's pico projector, dumbass?
    ONLY so much crap to go around.
    Actually the pico projector is the wave of the future, TI finally got something right.
    Too bad they did it right at the start of the greater depression.
    Dont tell me its greyscale also.
    AND you wouldnt know "accurate and supported" info if it hit you in the face,
    you are too busy acting like a spoiled child to actually learn anything.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    You're acting like an ex-cop with anger/emotional/psychological issues.

TI's been getting it right longer than you've been alive old man.

Cool

You're acting like an ex-cop with anger/emotional/psychological issues.

TI's been getting it right longer than you've been alive old man.
    DO you know anything about anything?
    TI has been around since the sixties, me, the fifties.
    Third year of electronics class people were always bringing TI calculators
    by to be "repaired".
    We told em to just throw em in the box in the corner labeled TI JUNK.
    We emptied it in the dumpster once a week, as they werent worth fixing.
    USED to be I wouldnt buy a TI product on a bet, knowing you work there now
    I damn sure wouldnt.
    The pico projector is nice but TI will find a way to get a wrench into the works...
    SOMEHOW.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

as FOR SIRRIUS , did I hear someone singing?
    oh. yeah.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    No dumbass, TI has been around for 75 years. No, make that 77 years. I got my 75th anniversary shirt two years ago.

Third year of electronics you knew less than you do now. 0 x 1 = 0 The back-woods shack you went to school at probably used an abacus to teach math on.

Not to deviate off the Pix-bashing track or anything, but is there any news on the re-org for XM Sirius? What's the prognosis for the future of the programming? Is, ahem... Howard Stern going to get the boot?
    Read my post. Liberty Media (parent company of Directv) bought a 40% stake in Sirius XM last week. Unfortunately, it looks like Mel Karmazin will continue to run the show. So, Sirius XM's blanding down of the music lineup and reliance on celebrity DJs/vanity channels will probably continue.

Directv and John Malone's team won't take over Sirius XM's operations, but it looks like they will do a lot of promotion and cobranding (since Liberty Media also dominates the market for satellite broadband). Not altogether sure what Liberty Media has in store for Sirius XM, other than a desire to keep Sirius XM out of Echostar's hands.

Rumor is that Howard Stern wants to return to terrestrial radio. He's getting very well compensated. But, even with the large numbers of listeners he brought over to Sirius, his audience right now is less than 1/5 of what it was when he was on terrestrial radio. He might enjoy the creative freedom of satellite radio, but he no longer commands the high profile that he did before. It's a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. And I doubt that a serial self-promoter like Stern will want to be remain relegated to the sidelines.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

nightflier
    So it sounds like the programming is converging to a more mainstream middle ground? Isn't that what satellite radio was trying not to be?

Suspended
    Ya know I do have to say that now that I've been sub'ed to XM, I am a bit dissappointed with the programming that has been incorporated on Deep Tracks. It was a LOT different a couple of years ago when I had DirecTV. Nevertheless, I can still flip to another station and hear what I like.

So it sounds like the programming is converging to a more mainstream middle ground? Isn't that what satellite radio was trying not to be?
    Yep, XM had the more adventurous music programming and when the programming grids for XM and Sirius got merged, more of the XM channels got purged.

No more electric jazz, no more Latin jazz and salsa, fewer eclectic channels, three classical channels got merged into one, two dance channels got eliminated, etc. It's still a step up from FM radio, but the range of music got pared back considerably. Sirius' CEO was obsessed with celebrity vanity channels, and that's what got kept.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

nightflier
    Well, another reason not to sign on. What's next, commercials between music sets?

Cool

No dumbass, TI has been around for 75 years. No, make that 77 years. I got my 75th anniversary shirt two years ago.

Third year of electronics you knew less than you do now. 0 x 1 = 0 The back-woods shack you went to school at probably used an abacus to teach math on.
    I am not talking about the mechcanical calculators they used to make, I AM TALKING ABOUT their foray into semiconductors, when they became a REAL company.
    NOTHING they did even came close to the microchip.
    Funny thing about when I WENT TO SCHOOL, the first two years I used a sliderule,
    something you could never figure out.
    Wasnt until the third year that calculators were cheap enough for peon students to buy.
    AND they still use the abacus in China and other parts of the far east.
    Accurate, portable, and you dont have to plug it in.
    If we had used a abacus it would have probably been a LOT more advanced than the picture books used in your "school".
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Why in the hell would Stern want to return to terrestial radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Read my post. Liberty Media (parent company of Directv) bought a 40% stake in Sirius XM last week. Unfortunately, it looks like Mel Karmazin will continue to run the show. So, Sirius XM's blanding down of the music lineup and reliance on celebrity DJs/vanity channels will probably continue.

Directv and John Malone's team won't take over Sirius XM's operations, but it looks like they will do a lot of promotion and cobranding (since Liberty Media also dominates the market for satellite broadband). Not altogether sure what Liberty Media has in store for Sirius XM, other than a desire to keep Sirius XM out of Echostar's hands.

Rumor is that Howard Stern wants to return to terrestrial radio. He's getting very well compensated. But, even with the large numbers of listeners he brought over to Sirius, his audience right now is less than 1/5 of what it was when he was on terrestrial radio. He might enjoy the creative freedom of satellite radio, but he no longer commands the high profile that he did before. It's a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. And I doubt that a serial self-promoter like Stern will want to be remain relegated to the sidelines.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I am not talking about the mechcanical calculators they used to make, I AM TALKING ABOUT their foray into semiconductors, when they became a REAL company.
    You're such a dumbass. Who invented the integrated circuit? TI's microcontrollers and DSP's are probably in YOUR audio equipment, dumbass. Do you own a cell phone? Guess what?
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbass
    NOTHING they did even came close to the microchip.
    See above.
    Funny thing about when I WENT TO SCHOOL, the first two years I used a sliderule,
    something you could never figure out.
    Really? They gave out sliderules to 1st & 2nd graders? I guess you were about 20 when you got your first sliderule right?
    Wasnt until the third year that calculators were cheap enough for peon students to buy.
    Not surprisingly, you're confusing calculators with adding machines. Not likely your hillbilly shack could afford anything that had to be plugged into a wall outlet. I'm betting there wasn't even any available electricity down by the river.
    AND they still use the abacus in China and other parts of the far east.
    Accurate, portable, and you dont have to plug it in.
    And you're the one who complains about goods made in China.
    Quote Originally Posted by DA
    If we had used a abacus it would have probably been a LOT more advanced than the picture books used in your "school".
    I guess then that you had to use your fingers to count, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Why in the hell would Stern want to return to terrestial radio?
    As I mentioned in my post, his audience right now is tiny compared to his radio heyday, and you don't hear much about him anymore because of that. Stern's paycheck is bigger than ever, and he no longer has to worry about the FCC clamping down on his affiliates. But, Stern has always been about self-promotion, and getting attention through controversy. And it's hard to get attention since the change over to satellite radio eliminates any controversy over his material.

The uncensored platform he craved when the FCC was fining his affiliates is one of those unintended consequences. He was controversial when saying stuff that wasn't allowed over the airwaves, but now that he's allowed to say whatever he wants, it's no longer controversial. Lack of controversy means that no one other than his subscriber audience is paying attention.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Suspended
    I agree whole-heartedly Wooch. From what I remember of his days on commercial FM, he'd spend a lot of the show griping about the FCC, which in turn generated all the phone calls from the audience singing his praises, which fed his big ego. I only liked his short-lived TV show where I could actually see the hot women he'd talk about (when not complaining, that is).

Forum Regular
    How can they pay attention when they aren't a subscriber?

I'm not buying it. He was going nuts during his last years on terrestial radio. I just do not see it happening.

If he does indeed go back, i'll label him a sell out.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    As I mentioned in my post, his audience right now is tiny compared to his radio heyday, and you don't hear much about him anymore because of that. Stern's paycheck is bigger than ever, and he no longer has to worry about the FCC clamping down on his affiliates. But, Stern has always been about self-promotion, and getting attention through controversy. And it's hard to get attention since the change over to satellite radio eliminates any controversy over his material.

The uncensored platform he craved when the FCC was fining his affiliates is one of those unintended consequences. He was controversial when saying stuff that wasn't allowed over the airwaves, but now that he's allowed to say whatever he wants, it's no longer controversial. Lack of controversy means that no one other than his subscriber audience is paying attention.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

nightflier

So does that mean you won't follow him with all the millions of others?

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    If he does indeed go back, i'll label him a sell out.
    Ironic, since he won't be getting that big fat paycheck, then....

Stern did complain a lot, and now not so much. Maybe we have a fetish about hearing people complain about things?

Angry

You're such a dumbass. Who invented the integrated circuit? TI's microcontrollers and DSP's are probably in YOUR audio equipment, dumbass. Do you own a cell phone? Guess what?

See above.

Really? They gave out sliderules to 1st & 2nd graders? I guess you were about 20 when you got your first sliderule right?

Not surprisingly, you're confusing calculators with adding machines. Not likely your hillbilly shack could afford anything that had to be plugged into a wall outlet. I'm betting there wasn't even any available electricity down by the river.

And you're the one who complains about goods made in China.

I guess then that you had to use your fingers to count, right?
    I GUESS the old saying is true, the more of an idiot you are the more self rightous
    you can get.
    AND all of this coming from a moron who hooked a pair of B&W speakers to a
    HOME THEATER IN A BOX.
    My first sliderule was when I was 14. At 14 you were probably running numbers or something in Jersey because you were too much of a retard to get into high school.
    GEE, you are SO proud to work at TI, heres a clue, its no big thang to scrub floors,
    no matter where you scrub them.
    POST all of the hate filled vitriolic crap you want , I AM TIRED OF RESPONDING
    TO SUCH AN addled brained loser, I do have a life, unlike yourself.
    AND back on topic , what are you gonna do with all of that SAT RADIO CRAP
    your dumbass was conned into buying(not hard to con an idiot like you into anything
    I guess). I guess you can make a necklace of something .
    BECAUSE SAT RADIO IS DEAD
    moron.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information