Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    For me, walking in to the back room wasn't the embarrasing part, walking out was.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Kiosks only carry a limited selection of recent releases, and about half of video rentals are for catalog titles. Video stores can do quite well by focusing on specific niches and carrying obscure titles. My wife and I used to subscribe to Netflix, but found I usually buy the titles I'm most interested in, and still prefer the instant gratification of browsing through a video store shelf and taking something home for rentals.

The BB near me is suffering badly. It's just not busy anymore. In contrast, the RedBox at the McDonalds right around the corner and the Movie Box inside the grocery store next the BB consistently have several (3 to 6) people in line in the eveneing hours. You can even reserve DVDs online with Red Box now.

However, I still go to BB for Blueray. I am considering trying out NetFlix soon though for the price.

We have actually been using Video On Demand with our AT&T Uverse provider more and more. Sure, the qaulity is not quite as good as DVD and the HD movies are not quite up to par with BlueRay but the quality is pretty darn good. Good enough that when we find ourselves sitting in front of the TV with nothing good to watch, it sure is easy to pull up a list a movies and hit "rent it".

nightflier
    A couple of thoughts:

- Blockbuster always had shelves and shelves of the same new release. Talk about a waste of real estate. RedBox doesn't work like that, there's only one spot for the image of the new release with a healthy selection inside.

- Blockbuster's sanitizing program was a turn off for many people. A lot was said about that in years past, but I think that when a vendor tells you what to watch, that sucks.

- On the same note, Blockbuster stores would typically stock titles based on rental rates, and this was neighborhood specific. So this also furthered limited selection on the shelves, another bad idea that drove people to competitors. I remember how NetFlix used to brag about how they had better selection, back when they were starting up (perhpas that's not the case anymore).

- BR movies are still too expensive to own. I know that's just my opinion, but until prices come down to what DVDs are, I'm going to wait. Again, I know some here don't agree, but that's not going to change my mind. In the mean-time rentals is the only cost-effective alternative.

- Blockbuster never have good prices for movie purchases. Even their previously-viewed movies were too expensive. When online movie purchasing started to take off, it was just too easy to compare and Blockbuster was always higher.

- Blockbuster killed Hollywood Video and the mom & pops, at least that's what many people believe. Whatever the case, they were not seen in a good light and once they were the only game in town, the belief was that this was the reason they kept their prices high. With this hanging over their heads, any competitor was seen as a better alternative.

And now for some questions:

- If NetFlix is going to be the only game in town, then is that good for the disk rental industry, or more precisely, the consumer?

- Who does now have the better catalog, Blockbuster or NetFlix?

- What about Hulu? How deep is their catalog? Can they even compete?

- Will Blockbuster be bought out? After all, it's not just the catalog and the contracts with the studios, we're also talking about a lot of real estate.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    A couple of thoughts:

- Blockbuster always had shelves and shelves of the same new release. Talk about a waste of real estate. RedBox doesn't work like that, there's only one spot for the image of the new release with a healthy selection inside.
    They HAD to keep shelves and shelves of the same new releases because that's what everyone wanted. I'd go into the store and the only thing on the shelf was empty boxes just to indicate the movie was or would be available.

And what's your definition of "healthy" anyway?

nightflier
    I'm just saying they could have used thinner cases, stacked them 10-deep and saved some space. For some reason it seems like they were always trying to show off how many versions of the same movie they could carry.

Healthy? I dunno. 40-50?

Suspended
    In my local store at least, the New Release section starts on one wall, and continues all the way around to the opposite wall. Some new releases are more obscure so they didn't take up as much shelf space I guess, but there was still plenty of room for all the different categories in the main part of the store. And there were also sections with Ninetendo, Playstation, and XBOX games as well.

Nevertheless, all I do now is go online, browse their website for the titles I want, click a couple of buttons, and off they go. Pretty simple.

I just caught the tail end of a news story one night that indicated NetFlix is soon going to end mail order rentals. Not really a big deal one way or the other for me. :shrug:

nightflier

Well that can't be good for BluRay...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I just caught the tail end of a news story one night that indicated NetFlix is soon going to end mail order rentals.
    Where did you read that? You realize that this edges us closer to one of Pix's predictions to actually become true: that downloading will take over everything.

My prediction: In the future, a famous movie will last fifteen minutes.

nightflier
    15 minutes... I haven't seen that one yet.

I don't blame you...The previews were only a blink in duration.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

nightflier
    I don't think Robert DeNiro likes you saying anything bad about his movies. I can already seeing him reach for a bat...

I remember that one....Pretty tough if I correctly recall....

Suspended
    Where did you read that? You realize that this edges us closer to one of Pix's predictions to actually become true: that downloading will take over everything.
    It was on a network TV news broadcast. Don't have details though, sorry.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    It was on a network TV news broadcast. Don't have details though, sorry.
    I think you are 1/2 right. They are toying with the idea of offering a "Download ONLY" package for those consumers that don't want to wait for offerings in the mail. To completly eliminate the option would be suicide.

I do not belive they are toying with ONLY offering the D/L option.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-do...-everyone.html
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I'm just saying they could have used thinner cases, stacked them 10-deep and saved some space. For some reason it seems like they were always trying to show off how many versions of the same movie they could carry.

Healthy? I dunno. 40-50?
    When I worked at a video store (Hollywood Video), one of the large reason for a very large run of movies was for re-sale after the initial rental period was done. It was about a 1 month time frame and they would sell off about 1/2 the inital stock. Then the next month about 1/2 of remaining stock, and so on. After about 5-6 months they would be down to 1-10 copies depending upon the initial load.

They made pretty good money on the used rentals. Most would sell for $8-10 with a 1 year scratch warrenty. After 8 rentals or so, the movie was "paid" for, so the sale of the used movie was all gravy.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

nightflier
    OK, but why the shelves and shelves of display at BB? Sounds to me like a waste of space.

Also, on the sale price for used rentals, $8-10 is a lot more expensive than what you'll find online, which was one of the other things I pointed out that BB could have done to keep customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    SD movies are around 1.2 gig, and the HD fare is usually about 4-5GB files.

I realize they are compressed, and the audio isn't full HD, but for $3-4 and the ability to start watching after about 5-10 minutes the quality is quite good.

BTW I'm watching on a 50" Plasma, so it is pretty easy to spot a crappy picture.
    Standard definition DVDs are 4-9GB. So unless there's some new magical compression algorithm, the "HD" movies you're downloading have the same or less resolution as today's DVDs.

When I rip a double-sided DVD and compress it down to fit on a single-sided disc, I can definitely tell the difference on my 27" CRT. Curious that you're not seeing anything.

Maybe you just don't have anything better to compare it to so you don't know what you're missing?

So if I go for the 26", I'm good, right?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Do not mess with the awesomeness of my TV.

Suspended
    Wooch, you brought up something I always wondered, why BB keeps their retail prices so high. Volume would surely make up for the occasional impulse sale they make. What a great way to create foot traffic. Also it would help to send out newsletters showing new releases and upcoming releases. I got something from them briefly like that then it stopped for no reason.

It's a fact Blu-ray movie retail prices are still too high. I've seen mention of it in articles plus I've seen recent releases coming out on Amazon even at $27.95. It depends on the title but I am surprised the price is remaining high. They need to come down about $10.00 across the board.

Collection for $4.00, that would be funny if it wasn't so sad. That must have been one of those systematic things. How much in the hole would a company go collecting $4.00? Good grief. That happened to us, a doctor charged my wife a co-pay and later realized my insurance had raised the fee. My wife says we didn't get any notice from the doctor but things have been known to go unresolved through her before, any way, we ended up getting a phone call from a collection company for like $10.00. Something that stupid you are tempted to let go for the amuzement but in this day and age of your credit report being your life, you don't dare.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    Isn't this the experience that movie theaters offer. They're doing OK aren't they?
    You'd be right if I was going to WALL-E or some other kid based film but depending on the film and the film time I can usually avoid that experience at the local theater.

Murphy's Law of Blockbuster states the greater the need for speed you have walking in- the greater number of people at the counter arguing over late fees as you try to check out........

OK, but why the shelves and shelves of display at BB? Sounds to me like a waste of space.

Also, on the sale price for used rentals, $8-10 is a lot more expensive than what you'll find online, which was one of the other things I pointed out that BB could have done to keep customers.
    Well, that $8-10 is the high end. Most of the time they would run "sales" and have say "4 for $20" or the like.

I'm not defending the model, just explaining how it worked at Hollywood. Plus, a lot of the space was dedicated when VHS ruled. And they were much larger.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    Standard definition DVDs are 4-9GB. So unless there's some new magical compression algorithm, the "HD" movies you're downloading have the same or less resolution as today's DVDs.

When I rip a double-sided DVD and compress it down to fit on a single-sided disc, I can definitely tell the difference on my 27" CRT. Curious that you're not seeing anything.

Maybe you just don't have anything better to compare it to so you don't know what you're missing?
    Well, Kevio, there are a couple of differences at play. So lets compare apples to apples.

A DVD also (generally) has several audio tracks (English, Spanish, French) as well as menus, and "special features". It may also have different audio track options, 5.1 etc. So not ALL of the 4.7GB of a SD DVD is the "movie". Strip out all of the extras, and you could be as close as 1/2 the size.

And I'm not sure what ripper/writer you are using but you need a new one if you are noticing a difference between a ripped DVD and your "backup" copy. Either that, or start using Dual-Layer DVD blanks. No compression needed.

The download version has none of that. It is the movie, and in english. No audio options, although I belive the default is 5.1.

And I have a HD-DVD player, Blu-Ray Player, and DirecTV HD. Unless YOU have seen a XBOX 360 D/L I would suggest you are guessing(talking out your ass).

The quality is quite good. I'm not suggesting it's a pixel-2-pixel match. But it is hands down better than the Netflix "streams" that I can also get off the XBOX service. And it's quick, painless, and if I really enjoy the movie, I can then decide to purchase it later from Amazon or a retail store.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Murphy's Law of Blockbuster states the greater the need for speed you have walking in- the greater number of people at the counter arguing over late fees as you try to check out........
    When I worked at Hollywood, they were the anti-thesis of Blockbuster on fees. As long as you made a 10% payment on any late balance over $100 (Yes, $100) you could continue to rent. And they NEVER charged extra, or sent people to collections.

I rented several movies to various patrons with HUGE late fee-balances. The highest I ever saw at the place I worked was upwards of $1100. That's one thousand, one hundred. In late fees.

I get pissed if I have like $3.00 in late fees.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Beefy's on a roll today! Beef, did I mention I like your new dentures? Bright & white!
    Quote Originally Posted by beef
    And I have a HD-DVD player, Blu-Ray Player, and DirecTV HD. Unless YOU have seen a XBOX 360 D/L I would suggest you are guessing(talking out your ass).
    I don't think Kevio was being mean beef, just sarcastic (you must still have the old version of the GM manufactured sarcasm detector. Rev 2 is in production now).

I don't know how much a d/l'ed BD title costs right now but don't you have to buy hardware to play the BD or SD file on your TV?

Fact is, anything Dumbass suggests is probably wrong (Good LORD where are you Sir T!) so I'll continue to order my Blu-ray titles on line and have the US mail deliver them to me. Seems simple enough.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information