SAMSUNG Electronics to Release Duo Hd Player

Samsung is releasing a dual format player!
    Seoul, Korea – April 13, 2007 : Samsung Electronics Co., LTD., a leader in consumer electronics and digital media technologies, and the first company to introduce a Blu-ray disc player will introduce a dual format High-Definition (HD) optical disc player in time for the holidays.

Samsung’s Duo HD player (BD-UP5000) will fully support both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc formats and their interactive technologies, HDi and BD-Java. With the Duo HD consumers can enjoy additional studio content such as trailers, director’s comments, more elaborate interactive menus and behind the scene footage. The new Duo HD joins Samsung’s next generation DVD line-up which includes Samsung’s second generation Blu-ray player available at retail this month. Together, these two models offer the consumer a strong line of High-Definition players to match Samsung’s award winning, and best selling, line of HDTVs.

"We welcome Samsung's Duo HD player as another solution in the marketplace that will help reduce consumer confusion and buyer hesitancy towards HD media," said Ron Sanders, President of Warner Home Video. "This is an innovative product that can move us closer to mainstream consumer adoption of HD technologies."

“We are very pleased to announce the upcoming release of our Duo HD player. Consumers are hungry for more HD content but are currently confused about competing formats. Samsung’s Duo HD player will allow consumers access to every HD movie title available regardless of the authoring format. Samsung is committed to making life simpler through technology and will market next generation DVD products which will satisfy the consumer and market requirement. This is a big win for the consumer.

As a member of the DVD Forum and contributor to the DVD Industry, we recognize that both HD-DVD and BD formats have merits. As such, we have decided to market a dual format player. Samsung is flexible to market a stand-alone HD-DVD player whenever consumers demand it. Our main concern is not technology but consumer choice” said Dongsoo Jun, Executive Vice President of the Digital AV Division at Samsung Electronics.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    All for the low, low price or $1099.
    (just kidding).
    Well...it's a start...I'm still waiting for the first Apex HD-DVD/BluRay players.

Hmmmm...

I've always had decent success with Samsung DVD players, although they are a bit quirky at times, hopefully this player handles both formats well and that they work out all the bugs before getting it on the shelves. The worst thing right now would be to have this player fail upon delivery.

By the time this comes out, it may still be cheaper to buy separate players.

I wonder how that LG player is doing.

maybe so, but...

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    By the time this comes out, it may still be cheaper to buy separate players.

I wonder how that LG player is doing.
    How will you connect 2 players with analog connections into your receiver? I guess if you have 2 HDMI inputs, which could get crazy if you are using HDMI from your Cable box too.

nightflier

2 HDMI inputs is so last-year

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    How will you connect 2 players with analog connections into your receiver? I guess if you have 2 HDMI inputs, which could get crazy if you are using HDMI from your Cable box too.
    This is why receiver and pre/pro manufacturers better get on the ball about making units with more than 2 inputs. With everything converging on HDMI as the cable standard, there is no reason why there should be any less than 4 inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    This is why receiver and pre/pro manufacturers better get on the ball about making units with more than 2 inputs. With everything converging on HDMI as the cable standard, there is no reason why there should be any less than 4 inputs.
    I would have to say BIG TIME on that one. It's insane that they are so far behind on this issue. Not only that, but TV's also need a minimum of 4 HDMI inputs as well.

What has everyones experience been with going through receiver with HDMI or even component? I notice that the picture seems a bit better if I DON'T use my receiver, but I like the convenience of having everything connected through the receiver. Any thoughts???

I perfer to run directly to display. When purchasing a TV, 2 HDMI inputs plus 2 component or more was a must. I run cable-TV over component and my 2910 & PS3 via HDMI to my TV.

I have audio running to display as well as AVR. That way I can use TV speakers or AVR for sound.

Thread Information