• 07-07-2016, 10:09 PM
    Smokey
    Roku Leads in Streaming Devices
    The recent data shows that Roku is leading the pack among streaming devices aka OTT (over-the-top) streaming devices. OTT streaming devices such as Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast and Amazon FireTv are used predominantly as a means to watch internet-based TV via streaming services (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video and HBO NOW).

Although desktop computers, smartphones and tablets drive the majority of consumers’ online activity, OTT streaming devices are coming right behind them in terms of in-home access point:
    http://www.comscore.com/var/comscore..._reference.png

Among OTT devices, Roku take 49% of market share, and Chromecast, Amazon FireTv and AppleTV have the rest of market share:
    http://www.comscore.com/var/comscore..._reference.png

Roku Leads OTT Streaming Devices in Household Market Share - comScore, Inc
  • 07-08-2016, 06:39 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Just ordered one Smoke, thanks for the heads up. I was toying with the idea of buying a 30 ft. HDMI cable to run from my computer to my TV, but this makes much more sense. Do you think it's a good move to upgrade my router at this time?
  • 07-09-2016, 06:44 PM
    Smokey
    Anytime you can eliminate physical wiring, I say go for it. Plus 30 feet of HDMI cable can be expensive, and they can be eye sore running along the wall.

As for upgrading the router, that will be q question for you to tackle. I have computer next to my 40 inch TV (which also double as PC monitor), so my router, PC and Bluray connections are hard wired.
  • 07-10-2016, 05:03 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Anytime you can eliminate physical wiring, I say go for it. Plus 30 feet of HDMI cable can be expensive, and they can be eye sore running along the wall.

As for upgrading the router, that will be q question for you to tackle. I have computer next to my 40 inch TV (which also double as PC monitor), so my router, PC and Bluray connections are hard wired.

That's the ideal situation, but my computer is in another part of the house. My laptop isn't up to the task either. We'll have to see how everything works when the Roku gets delivered today.
  • 07-10-2016, 07:50 AM
    Feanor
    Not long ago, (as I think I reported), I got a Windows TV box, i.e. a mini-computer that runs Windows but looks more like a Roku or AppleTV than a regular computer. I suppose it would be classified in the "Other" classification of OTT devices. The particular one I got was the Pipo X7s. I use it in my main HT system and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

The Pipo X7s dual boots Windows, (I have Win 10 installed), and Android. I always use Windows though I've tried Android. The latter is clitchy at least when running through my AVR. The Pipo runs anything an modestly-powered Window computer will run so I use the Chrome browser for Netflix, CraveTV.ca, and Shomi.com, (the latter two being Canadian video services like Netflix). I use the free VLC player for home videos and downloads and music, (though I rarely listen to my music files on the HT system).

The Pipo is hardwired to my router via a switch that also serves three other computers plus a printer. The Pipo does work pretty well with wireless too. My router is 5GHz unit supplied by our cable TV company, (Bell EXpressVu); its wireless serves my daughter's desktop and our Smart TV. We stream Netflix wirelessly to the Smart TV with no problems.
  • 07-10-2016, 12:07 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Got the Roku delivered this afternoon. Hooked it up (which was a breeze) and was watching "Happy Valley" in no time. Will watch the whole episode tonight.
  • 07-12-2016, 07:05 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Well didn't care for "Happy Valley", but we moved on to another British crime drama called "Broadchurch". The actors were much easier to understand which made for a much more pleasing presentation.

I finally got the show to play through my HT system and the sound in 5.1 is great.
  • 07-12-2016, 07:54 AM
    blackraven
    I love my chrome cast. Just bought a second one.
  • 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I love my chrome cast. Just bought a second one.

Isn't technology great Larry.
  • 07-13-2016, 07:25 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Well didn't care for "Happy Valley", but we moved on to another British crime drama called "Broadchurch". The actors were much easier to understand which made for a much more pleasing presentation.

I finally got the show to play through my HT system and the sound in 5.1 is great.

Hey, I like 'Happy Valley' but I agree about the actors being a bit difficult to make out. It's a combination of the Yorkshire accent and the sound recording. I liked 'Broadchurch' a lot too. The Brits really know how to do crime/police dramas.
  • 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Hey, I like 'Happy Valley' but I agree about the actors being a bit difficult to make out. It's a combination of the Yorkshire accent and the sound recording. I liked 'Broadchurch' a lot too. The Brits really know how to do crime/police dramas.

That's why I checked out Happy Valley, but we couldn't get the accents to work for us. Broadchurch was less of the "what the heck did he say" thing.
  • 08-07-2016, 04:51 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Just found out that I can stream the Olympics with my Roku. Now I'm not forced to watch whatever NBC want to show. I had my choice of at least 20 different events this afternoon. Watch some table tennis, then some synchronized diving, volleyball, white water kayaking, and many more. If you're an Olympic Junkie, it's the best.
  • 08-08-2016, 10:46 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Thanks for that tip Jack!
  • 09-09-2016, 03:58 PM
    Jaguar
    mine rarely works.