Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

PS3 Less than retail on Ebay UK?

It appears that sales are so lackluster in the UK that the going price for the system on Ebay UK is LESS than retail. Thats right folks, 1 weekend after release, demand is so depressed, that its cheaper to buy from Ebay.

Stocks are adequate in stores, and there appears to be limited demand.

In Paris, Sony Europe planned a giant release on the river near the Eiffel tower. The Sony folks had packed a barge with 1000 units, and all day hoopla surrounded the event.
    A crushing crowd of 50 (FIFTY) people showed up! GO SONY!!!

I bet it was the fact that they don't include the HDMI cable....yeah, thats it.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle1570153.ece

http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/n...ay_on_shelves_

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I remember seeing the PS3 less than retail before Christmas over here too...that's a bit misleading though - what you don't see is the ridiculously over priced "shipping charges" that the sellers were demanding. They do this to avoid the ebay fees and to show up at the top of the search list. You could pay $1 for for the damn thing, it's still not a good deal if it costs $699 to ship. Works out the same in the end, or worse.

I just did a quick search, and there's a few USA retailers hawking it below cost too...same with 360. Until you factor in the other fees. Don't think it means much, especially since the few idiots who whould have paid ridiculous amounts for the thing early on already did.

Up my way we've seen it on sale below full retail a few times. Nothing drastic mind you but, that's local retailer competion I think more than demand issues. The real tell will be when retail prices are slashed by Sony...that's gonna happen someday. Though I don't think they're in a rush to really start pushing units. I think Sony's a bit overconfident in how long they can keep PS3 in the market intro phase, especially while their comptetitors continue to release more games, and stay cheaper.

Though I'm not sure at what stage we're at as far as sales go for this generation of consoles...I dont' think we're at 10% yet? Predictions now would be as responsible as a Fox or CBS calling the winner of the Presidential Election.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I remember seeing the PS3 less than retail before Christmas over here too...that's a bit misleading though - what you don't see is the ridiculously over priced "shipping charges" that the sellers were demanding. They do this to avoid the ebay fees and to show up at the top of the search list. You could pay $1 for for the damn thing, it's still not a good deal if it costs $699 to ship. Works out the same in the end, or worse.
    Actually, that is classified as "fee avoidence" and will get you kicked off Ebay. I realize that it happens, but the PS3, 360, and Wii are under HEAVY scrutiny right now. I sold a couple 360's, 3 HD-DVD drives, and a PS3. After the PS3 I was LOCKED out of EBAY until I could prove I had the unit, shipped it, and the customer recieved it. This had NEVER happened before this Christmas. If you look at the auctions going on, freight is about $40 on average. Ebay makes no coin off shipping, so you can bet they are watching for $500 shipping charges.

Very quick way to get shut down now.

I just did a quick search, and there's a few USA retailers hawking it below cost too...same with 360. Until you factor in the other fees. Don't think it means much, especially since the few idiots who whould have paid ridiculous amounts for the thing early on already did.
    The problem is perception. 1000 units in Paris, heavy promotion, extra police detail, and 50 people show up? Thats not a good sign.

Up my way we've seen it on sale below full retail a few times. Nothing drastic mind you but, that's local retailer competion I think more than demand issues. The real tell will be when retail prices are slashed by Sony...that's gonna happen someday. Though I don't think they're in a rush to really start pushing units. I think Sony's a bit overconfident in how long they can keep PS3 in the market intro phase, especially while their comptetitors continue to release more games, and stay cheaper.
    It is telling considering that retailers only make about $5-10 per console. They hope to make it up on software. So if a retailer is discounting BELOW cost demand is not nearly as good as estimates.

Though I'm not sure at what stage we're at as far as sales go for this generation of consoles...I dont' think we're at 10% yet? Predictions now would be as responsible as a Fox or CBS calling the winner of the Presidential Election.
    Well, considering 360 is about 11 million units, PS3 is over 2 million, and Wii is over 3 million (i am totally guessing on the Wii, but I remeber it being over PS3 by at least a million units), I would bet its somewhere between 10-15%.

Never called a winner here, just pointing out that the much hyped European PS3 launch was as sucessful as Carnival launching a new cruise ship "Titanic II".

Thread Information