Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    For early "micro-displays" (ones where each pixel is addressable) plasma was clearly king. Decent blacks and good colors if you avoided the cheap plasmas. Things have changed.

I don't know why the DLP has lost popularity, very CRT like pixels with no visible borders no matter how close you looked. With the LED light sources good life and the best color rendition (better than the HDTV spec) enough so that a new color format was created currently only used to view digital camera pictures. (The entire HDTV color triangle fits inside the color triangle of the LED DLP sets, something no LCD, plasma or any other phosphor based technology can touch).

The only drawback I can find is the thickness preventing the wall mounting, why the 61" Samsung is a whole 14 1/2 inches deep about the same as the old 19" CRT. Maybe they're too cheap, leading you to believe it's an inferior technology. With careful shopping a 61" is about $1,200 and I think I saw a 73" for $1,600.

Speaking of wall hanging, why do people put them so high on the walls? Yes that's where paintings go, but you don't stare at a painting for 2 hours non-stop. A case where appearance trumps usability and that might be the whole plasma story. Maybe since you're about to do serious damage to your wallet a sore neck balances things out?
    I was speaking of LCD. DLP looks great IMO.

Maybe more people are leaning way back in their recliners?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    I couldn't agree more about hanging them so high, I just dont get it either.

There's no way in hell i could used to watching a tv over the fire place at about 6 feet off the ground, lol

For early "micro-displays" (ones where each pixel is addressable) plasma was clearly king. Decent blacks and good colors if you avoided the cheap plasmas. Things have changed.

I don't know why the DLP has lost popularity, very CRT like pixels with no visible borders no matter how close you looked. With the LED light sources good life and the best color rendition (better than the HDTV spec) enough so that a new color format was created currently only used to view digital camera pictures. (The entire HDTV color triangle fits inside the color triangle of the LED DLP sets, something no LCD, plasma or any other phosphor based technology can touch).

The only drawback I can find is the thickness preventing the wall mounting, why the 61" Samsung is a whole 14 1/2 inches deep about the same as the old 19" CRT. Maybe they're too cheap, leading you to believe it's an inferior technology. With careful shopping a 61" is about $1,200 and I think I saw a 73" for $1,600.

Speaking of wall hanging, why do people put them so high on the walls? Yes that's where paintings go, but you don't stare at a painting for 2 hours non-stop. A case where appearance trumps usability and that might be the whole plasma story. Maybe since you're about to do serious damage to your wallet a sore neck balances things out?
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    I couldn't agree more about hanging them so high, I just dont get it either.

There's no way in hell i could used to watching a tv over the fire place at about 6 feet off the ground, lol
    The top of my screen is only about a foot from the celing.

The bottom isn't all that far from the floor either though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I have the Plasma in the basement hung about 4.5' off the floor. The couches are about 1.5' off the floor. So, the bottom of the TV is only has high as 3' off the floor if we were sitting on the floor.

That doesn't seem all that high really. And, as we are sitting on a really huge lounging couch with really cozy ottman's, it's quite relaxing to recline while watching.

I've not had a sore neck yet.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Ajani
    The only drawback I can find is the thickness preventing the wall mounting, why the 61" Samsung is a whole 14 1/2 inches deep about the same as the old 19" CRT.
    That one drawback is the reason LCD Projection and DLP were never more than stop gap measures on the way to flat panel sets for most consumers... The simple truth is that people want flat wall mountable TVs (usually for aesthetic reasons)... A 52 inch flat panel mounted on a wall doesn't dominate a room anywhere near the way an old fashioned 52 inch projection TV would (eating up at least 2 feet of room space)...

DLP needs to be thin and wall mountable to compete with LCD and Plasma...

HAHA!! yeah but who cares as long as it uses less energy, and is so friggin bright that any whites completely wash out the picture, oh and nevermind that motion blur, who cares if sports and any movie with fast motion is blurry?!?!?
    My LED DLP was the first set I owned where turning up the light level didn't also mean loss of sharpness. I see no sign of white compression. Some broadcasters do feel a need to mess with the blacks usually with bad results.

Without the color wheel (which limited update rates because of a finite RPM) DLP has the fastest update per pixel in the business although the minimum update size is one row. I see only MPEG limitations due to satellite bandwidth (I don't own a Blu-Ray player) With my upconverting Oppo, ordinary DVD has the smoothest pan of any home technology I've seen. All the current Samsung DLP sets display at 120Hz..

Maybe you haven't seen the LED based sets at their best: brightest, smoothest, best colors and lowest price, damn I'm so convinced I've amazed myself .
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Suspended
    GM's TV goes floor to ceiling because he lives in the dog house.

Cool

HAHA!! yeah but who cares as long as it uses less energy, and is so friggin bright that any whites completely wash out the picture, oh and nevermind that motion blur, who cares if sports and any movie with fast motion is blurry?!?!?

The only thing "blurry" are your comprehension skills.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    That one drawback is the reason LCD Projection and DLP were never more than stop gap measures on the way to flat panel sets for most consumers... The simple truth is that people want flat wall mountable TVs (usually for aesthetic reasons)... A 52 inch flat panel mounted on a wall doesn't dominate a room anywhere near the way an old fashioned 52 inch projection TV would (eating up at least 2 feet of room space)...

Even that wont work.
    JVC came out with a "wall mountable" version of their D-ILA, basically a marketing nightmare.
    It was thin but still about 8" thick, had geometric distortion and was expensive.
    But it can be done.
    As for hanging panels high mine is on a pole about 4.5" off the ground, looks great.
    But a friend likes his tv high up, has his samsung over his mantle tilted down, watches
    it from a reclining position.
    Its not that bad but not my cup of joe...
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    I can comprehend the numerous reviews out there that say the tv I bought pretty much smokes everything out there except for it's big brother Eilte models.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    The only thing "blurry" are your comprehension skills.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Suspended

Not in my book. I don't recall any TV that I watched and owned growing up being mounted on the wall. You people are once again making assumptions that all people want to mount their TV's on the wall. My 57" DLP sits on a piece of furniture that serves two purposes, and I assume you know what they are.

Forum Regular
    I agree. I bought a nice stand that matches my coffee and end tables for my new plasma. I just dont see the big deal about mounting them on a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Not in my book. I don't recall any TV that I watched and owned growing up being mounted on the wall. You people are once again making assumptions that all people want to mount their TV's on the wall. My 57" DLP sits on a piece of furniture that serves two purposes, and I assume you know what they are.
    Marantz SR-7000
    Von Schweikert VR-1
    Denon 2910
    Pioneer PDP-5020

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    GM's TV goes floor to ceiling because he lives in the dog house.
    Yeah, but WHAT a dog house it is!

Ajani
    Nope... I don't assume all people want to mount their TV on a wall (I certainly don't - I had a 52 inch LCD rear projection a few years ago - only sold cuz I migrated... & I would have bought another one instead of my plasma, but they don't make em any more).... But the market has shown that most people want TVs that take up less and less space.... and a 14.5 inch thick LCD or DLP projection set just doesn't cut it for most people, when they could get a plasma or LCD just a few inches thick and wall mountable...

Suspended
    Well Ajani, you went from saying "The simple truth is that people want flat wall mountable TVs (usually for aesthetic reasons..." to saying "most people want TVs that take up less and less space.... " so surely you should be able to see why I responded the way I did.

Ajani
    Well Ajani, you went from saying "The simple truth is that people want flat wall mountable TVs (usually for aesthetic reasons..." to saying "most people want TVs that take up less and less space.... " so surely you should be able to see why I responded the way I did.
    Yes I do... I messed up the initial post... Sorry about that...

My point was supposed to be about unobtrusive (ultra thin) TVs, not really about wall mounting...

But wall mounting helps. There is a market for that.

Suspended
    I realize there's a market for it, but mounting a TV on the wall is a more permanent solution than sitting it on a stand, which is much easier to do in the first place (what do you do when you have to make a connection change for the TV? Are the jacks accesible from the front or sides? Do you have to take it off the wall?). I guess it's my age showing because wall-mounting a TV is a concept I'm just not in tune with. Many console TV's of yesteryear were well sought after and costly furnishings for the home.

Yeah, I'm a traditionalist, so sue me.

One case at a time for me please.

My screen has no connections at all. No moving needed. (heh heh heh)

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    But wall mounting helps. There is a market for that.
    I totally agree... that is going to be a deciding factor for some people... but I believe most people are more into the TV taking up less space than anything else....

So wall mounting is a part of the reason why I think rear projection sets can't compete with flat panels, but I believe the major reason is just that rear projection takes up too much space....

I totally agree... that is going to be a deciding factor for some people... but I believe most people are more into the TV taking up less space than anything else....

So wall mounting is a part of the reason why I think rear projection sets can't compete with flat panels, but I believe the major reason is just that rear projection takes up too much space....
    When we were building our house, I was planning on a DLP rear projection set. We could get a much larger picture for less cash than an LCD or plasma. But once I found out how many steps we would have to get into the living area, DLP started to look way to big and bulky. Then I found out that for the price of a 50" plasma, I could buy two front projectors and have 100+ inch screens instead. I could carry them both under my arms at the same time. Seemed like a no brainier. (I've always like the room dark while watching TV anyhow) Was the perfect solution for me at the time.

Oh, my screen is less than an inch thick, while the projector goes un-noticed on the celing.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    When we were building our house, I was planning on a DLP rear projection set. We could get a much larger picture for less cash than an LCD or plasma. But once I found out how many steps we would have to get into the living area, DLP started to look way to big and bulky. Then I found out that for the price of a 50" plasma, I could buy two front projectors and have 100+ inch screens instead. I could carry them both under my arms at the same time. Seemed like a no brainier. (I've always like the room dark while watching TV anyhow) Was the perfect solution for me at the time.

Oh, my screen is less than an inch thick, while the projector goes un-noticed on the celing.
    This is the main reason I bought my DLP (getting an employee discount didn't hurt either ). The thought of not having the space for placement was never an obstacle. I like cabinetry, especially wooden stuff.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    My 57" DLP sits on a piece of furniture that serves two purposes, and I assume you know what they are.
    Yep,

1st Purpose-To hold the TV
    2nd Purpose-To hold all of your "lonley heart" rags...that aren't answered enough.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

This is the main reason I bought my DLP (getting an employee discount didn't hurt either ). The thought of not having the space for placement was never an obstacle. I like cabinetry, especially wooden stuff.
    Oh sure. That's great for places where everything is flat. Everything on one floor? We live in the frickin hills. Rocks and streams all over the place. Stairs here. Stairs there. Stairs frickin everywhere.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Yep,

1st Purpose-To hold the TV
    2nd Purpose-To hold all of your "lonley heart" rags...that aren't answered enough.
    Talk to me when you've learned how to spell lonely, cow-puss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information