Paramount Comes Back to Blu-ray

In a statement sent exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter, Paramount Home Entertainment has revealed that they will return to releasing their films on Blu-ray. Initially supporting both high definition formats, Paramount became HD DVD exclusive in a controversial move by the studio in Fall of last year. With Universal Studios announcing their support of Blu-ray earlier this week, Paramount completes the last piece of the puzzle as the sixth and final major studio to support the Blu-ray format.

The statement read, "We are pleased that the industry is moving to a single high-definition format, as we believe it is in the best interest of the consumer. As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly."

While no specific titles or dates have been announced at this time, it is expected that Paramount will first release their stock of Blu-ray titles produced but never released due to their exclusivity deal with HD DVD. This could include titles that were recalled soon after the deal was announced, such as 'Blades of Glory' or other Paramount titles which has already been prepared for Blu-ray release.
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1010

When are the services?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    They seemed to be a little bitter about having to return to bluray. I wonder if it is because those HD DVD checks are not coming anymore, and they got nothing from the BDA. Well Paramount, you shouldn't have switched in the first place!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I assume we should be getting some more announcements from both Universal & Paramount discussing there future plans as far as BR titles are concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I assume we should be getting some more announcements from both Universal & Paramount discussing there future plans as far as BR titles are concerned?
    Universal has surprised me once already so take this with a grain of salt. Universal has alot of work to do that Paramount does not. Paramount has the equipment, and some titles ready for the pipeline now. The have experience with bluray already(several of the engineers there have told me they love the format) and could ramp up really quickly.

Universal on the other hand has no experience with bluray except a few trips to bluray replication facilities. Many of their titles they have released on HD DVD did not have good mastering jobs done on them in the first place, so they will have to be re-done. Universal has no experience with BD-java, so they will have to be bought up to snuff on that. They will have to get into the replication pipeline, and they will have to decide which titles will get BD-25 and which get BD-50.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    Paramount should have no problem coming up to speed. I know several titles on BD and DVD that were shelved after the announcement to go with HD-DVD. I worked specifically on the copy-protection for "Blades of Glory" DVD just before the announcement. We've also done some promotional projects with Paramount/Showtime including one bonus disc included in the boxed set for the Showtime Series "Dexter". It will be good to have them back.

Now, it really is game, set, match ... game over.

The real fun will now start with convincing consumers to actually feed HD content into their HDTVs. Unlike the format war with HD-DVD where Blu-ray had a stacked deck in its favor, the effort to supplant DVD and bring HD to the masses will be an uphill battle. Blu-ray's now entering a market where more than half the market does not own HDTVs, and half of those HDTV owners don't use the TV with any HD content (and about 1/4 of those who don't have any HD content on their TV think that they are watching HD programming).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

The real fun will now start with convincing consumers to actually feed HD content into their HDTVs. Unlike the format war with HD-DVD where Blu-ray had a stacked deck in its favor, the effort to supplant DVD and bring HD to the masses will be an uphill battle. Blu-ray's now entering a market where more than half the market does not own HDTVs, and half of those HDTV owners don't use the TV with any HD content (and about 1/4 of those who don't have any HD content on their TV think that they are watching HD programming).
    I think you are going to see a devaluing of the DVD format going forward. It will just be a bare bones medium, with all of the extras, interactivity, and emphasis going to bluray. You are going to see alot more ads for bluray. DVD will be around for quite a while there is no doubt about that. But the amount of support behind bluray will give it a big boost going forward. The BDA has a meeting in a few weeks, I am curious to see what comes out of that. I wish I was a fly on the wall...
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

Don't forget the people like my dad. He bought a nice 50 inch HD plasma and pays extra for HD programming, but can't remember to switch to the HD channel. Time after time I find him watching a std def show that's available in HD if he were to switch the channel. He'll say, "but I am watching HD. See the HD in the corner?" I'll switch the channel for him. He'll say, "wow! That is a nice picture." Then the next day he's doing the same thing. WTF?!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    You need to program his remote GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    You need to program his remote GM.
    So that it gives him a small shock when he picks out a std def channel?
    Or maybe when he hits channel 2 it will automaticly go to 502?

Suspended
    I can see where HD (Blu-ray) players will continue to be very popular. But since they also do a great job of upconverting SD DVDs it's a toss-up whether to buy a Blu-ray or DVD. If the cost of Blu-ray media comes down, or special features improve, I can see where DVDs could eventually be phased out.

After 2009 having the appropriate hardware won't be an issue, since everyone should have the capability to view HD. Instead of trashing the old set, those with good sets may retire them to DVD-only/non-broadcast viewing. Right now I don't feel any need to replace my DVD collection. Now that Blu-ray has won the war I hope the next steps are to make it more desirable and affordable.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    So that it gives him a small shock when he picks out a std def channel?
    Or maybe when he hits channel 2 it will automaticly go to 502?
    I have DirecTV. On my HD receiver, in the "setup" section, there is an option to "hide/delete" SD duplicates of HD offerings. IE History Channel HD is now my "default" History Channel. The SD option doesn't come up on the guide, nor will it go to it when I type the channel in. It automatically goes to the HD offering.

Look into his receiver box menu. It might have a selection similar.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I think you are going to see a devaluing of the DVD format going forward. It will just be a bare bones medium, with all of the extras, interactivity, and emphasis going to bluray. You are going to see alot more ads for bluray. DVD will be around for quite a while there is no doubt about that. But the amount of support behind bluray will give it a big boost going forward. The BDA has a meeting in a few weeks, I am curious to see what comes out of that. I wish I was a fly on the wall...
    For those of us that very rarely watch the "extras" aside from the blooper reel, is that really a problem? Is there any reliable statistic that shows usage for that material?

I don't know if that will really be an issue. I seem to remember a tiff we had about ethernet connectivity for HD-DVD/BR. At that time I don't remember that you thought interactivity was "all that and a bag of chips". So how will including these extras w/BR make a big difference other than cost?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I have DirecTV. On my HD receiver, in the "setup" section, there is an option to "hide/delete" SD duplicates of HD offerings. IE History Channel HD is now my "default" History Channel. The SD option doesn't come up on the guide, nor will it go to it when I type the channel in. It automatically goes to the HD offering.

Look into his receiver box menu. It might have a selection similar.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I can hear him now though. "What did you do to my TV?" "I can't find any of my favorite channels!"

Here dad. The HD channels are here. "Oh! That picture looks niiiiiice."

( Two days later)

"What did you do to my TV?" "I can't find any of my favorite channels!"

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I can hear him now though. "What did you do to my TV?" "I can't find any of my favorite channels!"

Here dad. The HD channels are here. "Oh! That picture looks niiiiiice."

( Two days later)

"What did you do to my TV?" "I can't find any of my favorite channels!"
    Well, if he uses the channel # directly, it works great. For example, on DirecTV, channel 278 is BOTH Discovery SD, and Discovery HD. After I deleted duplicate SD to HD channels, on the guide only 278 DiscoveryHD appears. And if I use my remote and punch in "278" it goes directly to Discovery HD. Before it would have defaulted to Discovery SD.

Its a little more wonky with Locals, for example on DirecTV my Fox network is Channel 55 thats the SD feed. If I want FoxHD I have to go to guide, and select 55-1 FoxHD.

I can't delete those SD channels, because my Tivo Unit cant detect 55-1. So your dad may be stuck with the SD locals unless you delete them manually, only leaving the HD local feeds.

Good luck!
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    For those of us that very rarely watch the "extras" aside from the blooper reel, is that really a problem? Is there any reliable statistic that shows usage for that material?
    According to two studio surveys, we(the extra haters or indifferent ones) are the minority. Most folks tend to like the extra value content because they believe they are getting an added value from it. Personally, because I work in this industry, they are no value to me as a consumer.

I don't know if that will really be an issue. I seem to remember a tiff we had about ethernet connectivity for HD-DVD/BR. At that time I don't remember that you thought interactivity was "all that and a bag of chips". So how will including these extras w/BR make a big difference other than cost?
    To me, its not all that and a bag of chips, and to most early adopters I have spoken to agree. Aparently to others, it is. I think the BDA believes they have saturated the early adopters, and are looking for Joesixpack now. They seem to take to the interactive features at much greater levels than early adopters do. Early adopters want high quality picture and sound, joesixpack wants the internet interactivity, games, and ring tone downloads.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp