Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No ‘Avatar’ 3D Blu-ray in 2010

Apparently 3D stands for 3 dips, because that’s what it looks like it’s going to take to get “Avatar” on 3D Blu-ray. So if you are looking for Avatar in 3D Bluray, you will have to wait after 2010 since no 3D bluray version of Avatar wil be released this year.The reason for this is waiting for fledgling home 3D technology to catch up, says James Cameron.

Two other versions of Avatar (non 3D) will be released this year. The first version which will be released on Aprill 22, is a barebone movie only with no extras or even a trailer. A move made to exploit every bit of disc space for the top-of-the-line audio and video presentation of the film, according to the movie's producer, Jon Landau.

The second version will be multi-disc "ultimate version" set planned for sometime in November 2010, says the Los Angeles Times. Landau and James Cameron will attend an March 23 press event in West Hollywood where they will discuss the release, and plans for a multi-disc "ultimate version" that will follow in November.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...3/avatar-.html
    Last edited by Smokey; 03-16-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    The second version will be multi-disc "ultimate version" ...
    Interesting. I would certainly prefer the inclusion of a second disc eliminating the need to wire my player to the internet. "Shelf" pricing for BR will be about $10 or 50% higher than the DVD version. Hmmm. So much for closing the gap.

rw

Cool

In other words, milk it for all its worth.
    I guess two billion wasnt enough.
    TALK ABOUT GREEDY
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Interesting. I would certainly prefer the inclusion of a second disc eliminating the need to wire my player to the internet. "Shelf" pricing for BR will be about $10 or 50% higher than the DVD version. Hmmm. So much for closing the gap.

rw
    That ten dollars extra gives you the DVD AND the Blu ray. That is what your 50% premium gets you.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Apparently 3D stands for 3 dips, because that’s what it looks like it’s going to take to get “Avatar” on 3D Blu-ray. So if you are looking for Avatar in 3D Bluray, you will have to wait after 2010 since no 3D bluray version of Avatar wil be released this year.The reason for this is waiting for fledgling home 3D technology to catch up, says James Cameron.

Two other versions of Avatar (non 3D) will be released this year. The first version which will be released on Aprill 22, is a barebone movie only with no extras or even a trailer. A move made to exploit every bit of disc space for the top-of-the-line audio and video presentation of the film, according to the movie's producer, Jon Landau.

The second version will be multi-disc "ultimate version" set planned for sometime in November 2010, says the Los Angeles Times. Landau and James Cameron will attend an March 23 press event in West Hollywood where they will discuss the release, and plans for a multi-disc "ultimate version" that will follow in November.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...3/avatar-.html
    The ultimate version will not be the 3D version. I do not believe that will come until next year. I suspect that Fox is probably going to re-release the film later this year(during a lull in releases before Christmas) to coincide with the release of the ultimate version to Blu ray and DVD. With Alice in Wonderland kicking Avatar prematurely out of 3D IMAX theaters(where it was making the most money), there is too much money being left on the table regarding the film release. Usually most films get kicked out of theaters when they begin to lose viewers. However, Avatar has not shown any loss of "legs" before Alice came along. I am willing to bet they will release it again.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

"Shelf" pricing for BR will be about $10 or 50% higher than the DVD version. Hmmm. So much for closing the gap.
    I think if you wait couple of months, the price will probably drop to more reasonable price of $19.99 for Blu and $14.99 for DVD. But wonder how sales of non 3D disc will hold up since most of people went to see Avatar for its 3D feature. I'm guessing most people will rent the first release of movie, and buy the ultimate version when it comes out in November.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    In other words, milk it for all its worth. I guess two billion wasnt enough. TALK ABOUT GREEDY
    Really, nothing new here. Studios being doing the same thing for high gross movies since home videos became the norm. Just look at how many version of Terminator 2 movies are out there on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence
    The ultimate version will not be the 3D version. I do not believe that will come until next year. I suspect that Fox is probably going to re-release the film later this year(during a lull in releases before Christmas) to coincide with the release of the ultimate version to Blu ray and DVD.
    That probably explain why Fox is holding back on 3D version of this movie. Cameron said the main reason 3D will not be released this year is because of waiting for 3D hardware to be more available to home viewers. But 3D hardware is already available on the market for those that want to test the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    That ten dollars extra gives you the DVD AND the Blu ray. That is what your 50% premium gets you.
    Be that as it may, such a premium only benefits the BR buyers for them to play the movie back on their other non-BR players. The price gulf between the formats remains large to sway the large number of folks who have not yet made the switch. Who knows? I suspect they will sell lots of the DVD version.

rw

I think if you wait couple of months, the price will probably drop to more reasonable price of $19.99 for Blu and $14.99 for DVD. But wonder how sales of non 3D disc will hold up since most of people went to see Avatar for its 3D feature. I'm guessing most people will rent the first release of movie, and buy the ultimate version when it comes out in November.
    Geez, you gotta get your head out of those discount bins! Those are probably the prices you will see during the week-of-release. AThat's what happened during the holiday season, and even this week with the release of The Princess and the Frog, the barebones Blu-ray copy was selling for under $20 at some stores.

A couple of months after release is exactly when the prices on new release videos are typically at their highest. Still new enough to have some remaining demand, but too old to draw crowds into stores or websites. And not old enough for demand to drop to the point that stores need to drop prices to clear shelf space.

As you say, this has been done many times before. If you'll recall, this release strategy is exactly what Lord of the Rings did when they released the theatrical cut first and preannounced the special edition copy for holiday release. Think about it this way, at least Fox is announcing their release schedule well in advance.

That probably explain why Fox is holding back on 3D version of this movie. Cameron said the main reason 3D will not be released this year is because of waiting for 3D hardware to be more available to home viewers. But 3D hardware is already available on the market for those that want to test the water.
    Yep. With more 3D TVs in place next year, you'll see a greater uptake. There are plenty of other high grossing 3D movies that will come out this year, and hold things down until Avatar really shakes things up.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Be that as it may, such a premium only benefits the BR buyers for them to play the movie back on their other non-BR players. The price gulf between the formats remains large to sway the large number of folks who have not yet made the switch. Who knows? I suspect they will sell lots of the DVD version.

rw
    This costs issue is a pickled red herring. If it was an issue, then we would not see the Blu ray format growing, and the DVD format basically shrinking in the market. It would be the other way around.

A single DVD costs $16 bucks, and a Blu ray PLUS DVD costs $25.00. Based on simple math, you are getting a DVD for $9 dollars in stead of $16.00 when you purchase the Blu ray copy. That means either the Blu ray is being sold to you for the same cost as the DVD only version, or the Blu ray is $25.00 and you get the DVD for free. Any way you look at it, the Blu ray is a better value than the DVD is.

I believe this will be another example of the BR disc making a big percentage of the overall disc sales. This title is primed for it just like The Dark Knight was, and several other big titles.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

This costs issue is a pickled red herring. If it was an issue, then we would not see the Blu ray format growing, and the DVD format basically shrinking in the market. It would be the other way around.
    Actually, it indicates what it indicates. Unlike you or I who gladly choose to pay extra, there remains a significant part of the video audience who remain happy buying DVDs. The studios obviously agree with that assessment or they wouldn't continue to release all the latest blockbusters in both formats.

A single DVD costs $16 bucks, and a Blu ray PLUS DVD costs $25.00.
    Except of course for Avatar, which happens to be the topic of this thread. Let's review what the article says, shall we?

" For the Earth Day release, the single-disc version of "Avatar" will have a suggested retail price of $29.98 on DVD and $39.99 on Blu-ray. A source at Fox said the "shelf" prices at many retailers will be closer to $19.99 for the DVD and $29.99 for the Blu-ray."

The difference is ten bucks. I will agree that the shelf pricing will more realistic than list price where the differential is FIFTY PERCENT.

Based on simple math, you are getting a DVD for $9 dollars in stead of $16.00 when you purchase the Blu ray copy. That means either the Blu ray is being sold to you for the same cost as the DVD only version, or the Blu ray is $25.00 and you get the DVD for free. Any way you look at it, the Blu ray is a better value than the DVD is.
    You are both preaching to the choir and completely missing my point. As for me, I couldn't care less if I get a DVD copy when I buy the higher resolution BR version. I'm buying the better quality. For those who are not as quality sensitive, however, paying a FIFTY percent upcharge to get the BR version (DVD copy or not) may or may not seem reasonable to them.

I believe this will be another example of the BR disc making a big percentage of the overall disc sales.
    Agreed. A "big" percentage with a substantial percentage that is not. Such has nothing at all to do with my "two channel head". It is called observation.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Geez, you gotta get your head out of those discount bins!
    Well, bins was the reason for my movie collection to grow as I buy most of my movies for under $10. For example, pickup up Mutiny on Bounty with Clark Gable and Charles Laughton, and Lost In America for $3. You be amazed how many (forgotten) movies are out there that you have not seen in a long time. And thanks for DVD low prices, we can have them.

Those are probably the prices you will see during the week-of-release. AThat's what happened during the holiday season, and even this week with the release of The Princess and the Frog, the barebones Blu-ray copy was selling for under $20 at some stores.
    I checked out Walmart prices on new movie blu ray releases for last and this month, and avarage price for them seem to be around $23. So I am guessing the Avatar bluray price will hover around that price for couple of months.

A couple of months after release is exactly when the prices on new release videos are typically at their highest. Still new enough to have some remaining demand, but too old to draw crowds into stores or websites. And not old enough for demand to drop to the point that stores need to drop prices to clear shelf space.
    You are probably right. But one can buy at discount prices waiting for a sale or with a coupon if persistent enough. I don't know if you shop at Kroger grocery store or not, but I see $5 off coupon in their flyers for new movies all the time (ofcourse with a $10 grocery reciept ).

Yep. With more 3D TVs in place next year, you'll see a greater uptake. There are plenty of other high grossing 3D movies that will come out this year, and hold things down until Avatar really shakes things up.
    I wonder how much a 3D feature on a disc will add to price of disc? Given that %99 of population dot not have a 3d player or TV yet, reasoably low prices (as compare with non 3D disc) will guaranty that 3D discs will not sit on the shelf for a long time.

Actually, it indicates what it indicates. Unlike you or I who gladly choose to pay extra, there remains a significant part of the video audience who remain happy buying DVDs. The studios obviously agree with that assessment or they wouldn't continue to release all the latest blockbusters in both formats.
    Yes, and the audience that is buying DVD's is shrinking yearly. As far as you statement about the studios agreeing with your assesment, you have no idea what the studio agree with, you don't work for one(I do), you never have, nor will you ever. As I have told you before, the buzz around Hollywood is that there is less than two more years of support left for DVD at the current rate of disc sale losses, that is the assessment of the studios, not what you state. Secondly, I guess the concept of the transitional window completely escapes you. When DVD came to market, for a few years the lastest blockbuster were released on both VHS and DVD, but that came to a halt in about four years when VHS sales dropped below 50% of total home release sales.

Except of course for Avatar, which happens to be the topic of this thread. Let's review what the article says, shall we?

" For the Earth Day release, the single-disc version of "Avatar" will have a suggested retail price of $29.98 on DVD and $39.99 on Blu-ray. A source at Fox said the "shelf" prices at many retailers will be closer to $19.99 for the DVD and $29.99 for the Blu-ray."

The difference is ten bucks. I will agree that the shelf pricing will more realistic than list price where the differential is FIFTY PERCENT.
    The accuracy of the article is in question when it comes to Amazon. Amazon lists Avatar's sales price at $25.00 for the Blu ray and DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Two-Dis...8969220&sr=1-1

It lists the DVD's price at $16.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Sam-Wor...8969334&sr=1-3

This is real world pricing, not what the article states, and certainly not a ten dollar difference. You were foolish to use a article as support for your foolishness.

You are both preaching to the choir and completely missing my point. As for me, I couldn't care less if I get a DVD copy when I buy the higher resolution BR version.
    Since the studios are not marketing directly and only to you, what you care about is irrelevant. Many folks love the fact they have the ability to view a copy on their HDTV's, and take a copy on the road to view on a PC or portable DVD player. That is why the studio include them.

I'm buying the better quality.
    That is why you get the Blu ray.

For those who are not as quality sensitive, however, paying a FIFTY percent upcharge to get the BR version (DVD copy or not) may or may not seem reasonable to them.
    Those who are not quality sensitive are probably not interested in Blu ray in the first place. This is not who the studios are marketing Blu ray to. Blu ray is for those who want the ultimate in viewing experience, and DVD is for those who don't own a Blu ray player yet. Two different consumers.

Agreed. A "big" percentage with a substantial percentage that is not. Such has nothing at all to do with my "two channel head". It is called observation.

rw
    My goodness, another air sandwich. You sure do major in using words, but saying absolutely nothing. In the future, can you not major in minors?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

As far as you statement about the studios agreeing with your assesment, you have no idea what the studio agree with, you don't work for one(I do), you never have, nor will you ever.
    Such childish posturing really isn't necessary. You have already acknowledged elsewhere that the studios continue to release in DVD. They could simply stop offering the format. But they don't. Catch on? Go to Amazon.com and look for upcoming releases in April found in the DVD format. Why are your panties all in a wad over an observation of fact?

As I have told you before, the buzz around Hollywood is that there is less than two more years of support left for DVD at the current rate of disc sale losses, that is the assessment of the studios, not what you state.
    I have made no prognostications as to the future of any product. I observe and state what is the case today.

You were foolish to use a article as support for your foolishness.
    Silly me to think that the producer of the largest grossing film in history would know what he's talking about. I'll take your advice and ignore all industry sources.

Those who are not quality sensitive are probably not interested in Blu ray in the first place.
    This is what I have been saying all along. A $29 DVD player with the same convenience of a BR player is just fine for them.

rw

"Many retailers" is not all of them, and if the precedent from the holiday season, or even this week's release of The Princess and the Frog, holds true, the actual "shelf" pricing will be a lot closer. Avatar is enough of a surefire draw for retailers and websites that the discounted pricing on the Blu-ray will probably be closer to $20 than $30.

The Princess and the Frog carries the same list pricing (with the combo pack listing for $45), yet this week's street pricing finds the DVD going for around $16, the single-disc Blu-ray going for $20 to $22, and the combo pack (w/ BD, DVD, digital copy, and online streaming access) going for $26.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

I checked out Walmart prices on new movie blu ray releases for last and this month, and avarage price for them seem to be around $23. So I am guessing the Avatar bluray price will hover around that price for couple of months.
    It will vary considerably. The big blockbuster titles get the heaviest week-of-release discounting because those are the titles that draw people into stores and websites in large numbers. Harry Potter, Star Trek, etc. were all readily available for less than $20 when they came out in November and December.

You are probably right. But one can buy at discount prices waiting for a sale or with a coupon if persistent enough. I don't know if you shop at Kroger grocery store or not, but I see $5 off coupon in their flyers for new movies all the time (ofcourse with a $10 grocery reciept ).
    Yep, that's how I got The Princess and the Frog combo pack for $16 (online $10 off coupon from Disney and the usual week-of-release discounting). The biggest challenge was finding a copy of that movie in the first place. Three Target stores in my area were completely sold out in all formats, and the first two Best Buy locations I checked did not have any Blu-ray copies left.

I wonder how much a 3D feature on a disc will add to price of disc? Given that %99 of population dot not have a 3d player or TV yet, reasoably low prices (as compare with non 3D disc) will guaranty that 3D discs will not sit on the shelf for a long time.
    Early adopters will be fine with paying extra for the 3D version. Pricing only becomes a concern when the feature begins migrating over to lower priced TVs. In the long run, the 3D version won't add all that much because the 2D and 3D versions can fit onto a single disc. It's only in the beginning that you will see premium pricing.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

... yet this week's street pricing finds the DVD going for around $16... and the combo pack (w/ BD, DVD, digital copy, and online streaming access) going for $26.
    The difference is about ten bucks. Expressed as a markup, it ends up being around 50%.

rw

The difference is about ten bucks. Expressed as a markup, it ends up being around 50%.

rw
    More air sandwich. Yes the difference is ten bucks, but for that ten bucks you get a digital copy of which you don't get with the DVD, the streaming option which you don't get with the DVD, the Blu ray disc of which the DVD does not provide, and a copy of the DVD as well. You keep looking at the cost, but missing the value the difference brings. The devil is in the detail, not on the surface.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

More air sandwich. Yes the difference is ten bucks, but for that ten bucks you get ...
    I will just accept the fact that the concept of paying a premium for those who couldn't care less about BR anyway is beyond your comprehension.

rw

I will just accept the fact that the concept of paying a premium for those who couldn't care less about BR anyway is beyond your comprehension.

rw
    The whole paying a premium argument is a old petrified persons argument. If a person does not care about BR, then so be it. The premium price angle is a false angle when sales are increasing on the BR format, and decreasing on the cheaper DVD format. You are out of touch, and that is something you just cannot face. People apparently want BR, price be damned. The adoption rate of BR bares this out.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

If a person does not care about BR, then so be it.
    Which remains exactly my point. You have hit the nail on the head. There are many who do not care and buy DVD instead. While you and I and others prefer the higher quality and buy all new content in the BR format, it remains an obvious statement that there are others who do not. As long as DVD players are sold and DVD content is available, people will continue to buy the less expensive and lower quality product. I'll repeat something I've said before. I couldn't care less if the studios changed their marketing policy today and stopped releasing in the DVD format.

The adoption rate of BR bares this out.
    Indeed it does. Well, it bears it out. If all folks really wanted the higher def, then the adoption rate would be 100%. It is not!

You are out of touch, and that is something you just cannot face.
    Observing reality is not an indication of being out of touch. It is you who fail to grasp that which occurs in a segment of the market. Look around! DVD is still on the market! Do you get that? Sheesh!

rw

Which remains exactly my point. You have hit the nail on the head. There are many who do not care and buy DVD instead. While you and I and others prefer the higher quality and buy all new content in the BR format, it remains an obvious statement that there are others who do not. As long as DVD players are sold and DVD content is available, people will continue to buy the less expensive and lower quality product. I'll repeat something I've said before. I couldn't care less if the studios changed their marketing policy today and stopped releasing in the DVD format.
    If you could care less, then why do you continue to beat this drum?

If the market for the cheaper players was getting larger(or even holding steady), I could see your point. However, the market is shrinking yearly in double digits. With BR players and disc sales growing, there is obviously less and less people who no longer care less about BR. And with DVD players and disc sales falling, there is obviously a growing number of people who no longer care about mediocre picture quality, lossy audio, and basically zero interactive extra content. The growth of HDTV has pushed the growth of BR. The growth of BR is basically killing DVD.

Indeed it does. Well, it bears it out. If all folks really wanted the higher def, then the adoption rate would be 100%. It is not!
    You are taking on the same lame stupid argument that nightstupid takes. It is stupid as hell to think that the transition from one format to another happens overnight. There is no precedent for that in history. First, they could not manufacture enough players for an overnight transition, and neither could they produce enough discs. Stores could not just replace their entire inventory of players and disc overnight. Based on these realities, it is stupid to judge the success of a format based on an overnight transformation. The success of a product is based on the how quickly the public adopts the product over time, not if they adopt it en mass overnight. The fact that BR has been the fastest CE product to achieve mainstream penetration shows the power of the formats success. The fact that the DVD business has shrunk by 20-25% in five years is a testament to how quickly a video format sales can fall when the market is saturated with the product, and when something better comes along.

Observing reality is not an indication of being out of touch. It is you who fail to grasp that which occurs in a segment of the market. Look around! DVD is still on the market! Do you get that? Sheesh!

rw
    Get this in your thick fat head E-stat. Nobody is saying that DVD's aren't around. What I am saying is the support for the format in every way is shrinking. When it shrinks to a certain point, it dies. Whether it is a slow death(VHS), or a fast death(DVD IMO) it is going to die eventually. Now you can stay stuck with this format like you have done with two channel audio, but the reality is, it is going bye bye.

HD DVD players and disc are still on the market, does that mean the format is still healthy? Laserdisc players and discs are still on the market does that mean it is still viable format? Being on the market tells you nothing about the health of anything. Your perspective on this issue is shallow at best. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) related to DVD points to format death, even if it is currently on the market.

Transitional period, look it up.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

If you could care less, then why do you continue to beat this drum?
    First of all, my preferences (along with yours) have nothing to do with stating that which is supported by facts. While I recommend to friends that they buy BR, there are millions of video viewers who have not. Surely you understand that. You have made two incorrect statements:

1. DVD is dead. It is most alive in both players and content.
    2. One MUST have BR to enjoy the convenience of HDMI cabling.

Neither assertion is true today. It is that simple. What may be the case in 2011 has still to be determined. Someone reading your posts might think that either notion is the case. They are not. Some people have stated that vinyl is dead. Similarly, such is not supported by fact. There is both new content available in that format and there is ongoing hardware development. Believe what you will despite those pesky facts.

I think you fundamentally miss the direction of my posts. They are independent of my preferences. I'm sure that it boggles your mind that anyone would purchase a DVD today when they could get better quality with Blu Ray. I would agree. I am equally amazed why it is that millions of people buy lossy, compressed, swishy sounding 128k MP3s from iTunes, Amazon, etc. Don't they know any better? Regardless of my perspective, I nevertheless observe that is the case. Just like the fact that folks continue to buy DVD movies and players. Why else would the studios continue to offer their latest content in that way? Why not force the issue and cut off DVD production? I have to think that your employer along with other studios seems to believe that they would lose money if they took that approach today. Who knows?

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 03-20-2010 at 03:22 PM.

rw
    Rather disingenuous bit of quote clipping on your part. You conveniently ignored the single-disc BD version, which is the only true apples-to-apples comparison to the DVD copy and has a considerably narrower cost difference.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

You have made two incorrect statements:

1. DVD is dead. It is most alive in both players and content.
    2. One MUST have BR to enjoy the convenience of HDMI cabling.

Neither assertion is true today. It is that simple.
    Got something against strawmen?
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Rather disingenuous bit of quote clipping on your part. You conveniently ignored the single-disc BD version, which is the only true apples-to-apples comparison to the DVD copy and has a considerably narrower cost difference.
    A video expert pointed out that "Many folks love the fact they have the ability to view a copy on their HDTV's, and take a copy on the road to view on a PC or portable DVD player. "

Obviously, one cannot do that unless you buy the combo. Right?

rw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information