• 04-01-2004, 10:10 AM
    pdawg17
    New technology of TV that will lower prices by year end?
    I thought I heard a couple months ago about a technology that will drastically lower prices on "plasma-quality" tvs b/c the semi-conductor cost was much lower or something...does anyone know what technology I'm talking about? I saw somthing in the NY Times about it but I can't remember the name of it or when it will hit stores...
  • 04-01-2004, 04:57 PM
    dapercy
    Liquid Crystal on Silicon
    Intel based LCOS TVs are supposed to come out in time for Christmas. Their picture is supposed to rival if not surpass DLP. Due to Intel's large semiconductor manufacturing base they are supposed to be able to produce the chip for much less than their competitors driving down the costs of high quality / low profile rear projection TV's by as much as a 1/3.

http://www.intel.com/design/celect/t...lcos/index.htm
  • 04-01-2004, 06:41 PM
    pdawg17
    Thank you! That was it!
  • 04-02-2004, 02:24 PM
    Rikki
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dapercy
    Intel based LCOS TVs are supposed to come out in time for Christmas. Their picture is supposed to rival if not surpass DLP. Due to Intel's large semiconductor manufacturing base they are supposed to be able to produce the chip for much less than their competitors driving down the costs of high quality / low profile rear projection TV's by as much as a 1/3.

http://www.intel.com/design/celect/t...lcos/index.htm

That's good information. Please let us know if you hear anything more about it. Particularly price.
  • 04-04-2004, 08:19 AM
    pdawg17
    I just saw an ad in my Good Guys insert that shows a Philips LCOS TV! I thought it wasn't supposed to come out until around the holidays this year...is it out early then?
  • 04-04-2004, 10:07 AM
    dapercy
    LCOS is Already out
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdawg17
    I just saw an ad in my Good Guys insert that shows a Philips LCOS TV! I thought it wasn't supposed to come out until around the holidays this year...is it out early then?

There are LCOS TV's already out on the market. There are some smaller semiconductor firms making the chips so the LCOS TV's that are currently on the market will cost the approximately the same as the DLP's that are out there. Intel chip based TV's wont be out until end of year.

Basically if you are planning on buying a rear projection HDTV, hold off for a year or so to take advantage of the price drop. If you can wait that long.
  • 04-04-2004, 09:47 PM
    soonerczech
    Toshiba LCoS
    I sure hope the price comes down on these sets, the picture looks amazing but for $8000, its a little bit pricey.
  • 04-12-2004, 11:26 PM
    nufan
    Intel's LCOS 46" is supposed to be $1800.

Can't wait!!!!
  • 04-13-2004, 01:15 PM
    dapercy
    Do you have a link you can point us to?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nufan
    Intel's LCOS 46" is supposed to be $1800.

Can't wait!!!!

Who is the TV Manufacturer?
  • 04-16-2004, 09:55 AM
    MikeG
    Exciting News
    Thanks for this exciting news. We'll have to create a new category for these type of TVs. I have a DLP projector, but it's blurry ... only really good for parties and VHS movies.

Anyone know if these TVs will have digital inputs (DVI-D)? Imagine a 46" computer monitor for only $1800!!
  • 05-13-2004, 11:02 AM
    poneal
    I want one of those...
    I can force myself to wait for $1800.00
  • 06-02-2004, 01:59 PM
    dapercy
    DVI for LCOS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike009
    Thanks for this exciting news. We'll have to create a new category for these type of TVs. I have a DLP projector, but it's blurry ... only really good for parties and VHS movies.

Anyone know if these TVs will have digital inputs (DVI-D)? Imagine a 46" computer monitor for only $1800!!

I've heard the LCOS chip made by Intel is supposed to have a high enough resolution that it can be used as a monitor. So I would assume atleast some of the manufacturers would build it with DVI.
  • 06-22-2004, 02:28 PM
    Rob1956
    Do these tv's suck as much as others as far as blacks looking grey and lots of false contouring?
  • 06-23-2004, 08:12 AM
    eqm
    just saw the philips lcos
    wasn't impressed with the black levels. they looked very blue compared to a crt. The one i saw also had some geometry issues on the top of the "letterbox" lines. everything i saw on the screen had a kind of "fake" look to it...not much depth to the picture and almost a tracer like movement. visible "rainbow" was noticable on any light part/dark part quick motion, or any time i moved my eyes. i'll get out of my vertigo from watching it soon. :p
  • 06-23-2004, 09:39 AM
    pdawg17
    I think the Philips is only a one-chip unit vs. 3 in most others...
  • 06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
    eqm
    it would have to be...
    to get the rainbow effect anyway ;)
  • 10-04-2004, 11:40 AM
    dapercy
    50" HD LCOS Projection TV Delayed
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

In case you haven't seen it, looks like we'll have to wait until 2005 for the price reduction.