Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Pix you are 100% correct if all you did was use that computer for one system in your house. A good sound card and DAC is all you need and some sound card don't even need a DAC to improve the sound (personal taste). But for someone like me, I can lay in bed use my remote to the squeezebox and listen to the Steve Harvey morning show from New York (I live in California), get out of bed head down stairs and turn on the squeezebox down stairs and listens to Last.fm (smooth Jazz or Neo Soul) while the kids can turn the squeezebox upstairs (3rd one) and listen to the hip hop/top 40 playlist all from the same computer, all at the same time. Flexability and Full control at its best! for me.
    In other words you are squeezebox CRAZY.
    Of course, you could do the same with a wireless net and migrating laptops, cheaper and
    more versatile.
    SQUEEZE, like a lot in this hobby, is mainly a triumph of marketing over common sense.
    Its like people with the pre conceived notion of a "whole house" system, when inexpensive satellite systems could be more flexible, maybe cheaper.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    In other words you are squeezebox CRAZY.
    Of course, you could do the same with a wireless net and migrating laptops, cheaper and
    more versatile.
    SQUEEZE, like a lot in this hobby, is mainly a triumph of marketing over common sense.
    Its like people with the pre conceived notion of a "whole house" system, when inexpensive satellite systems could be more flexible, maybe cheaper.
    LOL... I would not go that far, but this wireless network DAR is the best I have tried so far to date and I had others that just didn't cut the cake. If I was starting from scratch, it would be cheaper to go another way, but I already had HT/2 channel systems in all bedrooms along with the main system in the family room. Adding the squeezebox was cheaper for me (if you read back a few post on my cost of the computer) each squeezebox was around $200 (from ebay seller) two new, one used. Combine cost of all the SB comes out to the cost of an average laptop . More importantly was the control of creating personal playlist and being able to play what you wanted in each room, unlike a whole house system or having to fire up a laptop in each room. My server runs 24/7 with the MS auto update turned off, so no unexpected restarts.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Of course, you could do the same with a wireless net and migrating laptops, cheaper and more versatile
    Exactly what kind of new laptop do you suggest that is cheaper than $280? Not to mention is instant on, requires no anti-virus programs, updates, etc.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Exactly what kind of new laptop do you suggest that is cheaper than $280? Not to mention is instant on, requires no anti-virus programs, updates, etc.

rw
    A Netbook like this one will do fine. Connect it via USB to the DAC of your choice and you're done. As a dedicated music machine the computer doesn't need anti-virus, etc., and many Windows services can be disabled.

I'd hate to do without comprehensive music player interface like Foobar2000; Squeezebox won't do that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    A Netbook like this one will do fine. Connect it via USB to the DAC of your choice and you're done.
    If your DAC supports USB, then that would be fine.

As a dedicated music machine the computer doesn't need anti-virus, etc., and many Windows services can be disabled.
    If Wi-Fi access is enabled, it is vulnerable to attack. Having 1 GB of memory with Win7 is a joke.

I'd hate to do without comprehensive music player interface like Foobar2000; Squeezebox won't do that for me.
    Gee, being able to use playlists, search by song, artist, album, genre, year released, random play by any of those criteria, etc. sure works for me. I can control it remotely by the server.

rw

Gee, being able to use playlists, search by song, artist, album, genre, year released, random play by any of those criteria, etc. sure works for me. I can control it remotely by the server.

rw
    Last I looked, (been a few months), there was no practical way to search & sort by Composer, which is essential for me.

'Stat, Squeezebox is a good device might even be the best alternative for you and others. However it is suboptimal for me. Are you really arguing that SB is more versitile than a computer? That would be tough arguement to win. It's hair-splitting to bicker about whether you can get by with a $300 computer or need to spend $500.

Last I looked, (been a few months), there was no practical way to search & sort by Composer, which is essential for me.
    When I search for "Prokofiev", I get 73 results. Ability to sort within the search? I'm just not that picky I guess.

Are you really arguing that SB is more versitile than a computer? That would be tough arguement to win.
    Versatile? No. I don't need a media player to run Quicken or play Doom. I've got three other boxes for that. Faster access? No comparison whatsoever. SB is ready when you push the power button. Boot time for a 1 GB laptop? Two minutes? Less ongoing work and expense to maintain? Yes. Far smaller footprint? Yes. More flexibility with multiple digital outputs? Yes.

rw

When I search for "Prokofiev", I get 73 results. Ability to sort within the search? I'm just not that picky I guess.

Versatile? No. I don't need a media player to run Quicken or play Doom. I've got three other boxes for that. Faster access? No comparison whatsoever. SB is ready when you push the power button. Boot time for a 1 GB laptop? Two minutes? Less ongoing work and expense to maintain? Yes. Far smaller footprint? Yes. More flexibility with multiple digital outputs? Yes.

rw
    Fine: everybody should get Squeezebox. Buy Logitech stock now.

Cool

rw
    Well, you only need a few, refurbs would do fine.
    Even better , get wireless.
    Me, when I want to listen to music, I go into the music room.
    If at work or elsewhere, my DAS from YAMAHA does fine, sounds quite good.
    HATE TO COMPLICATE THINGS, but that is just me.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Even better , get wireless.
    That's how the Touch works.

Me, when I want to listen to music, I go into the music room.
    I cannot imagine limiting access to music that way.

rw

Forum Regular
    Just receive the SB Touch. Its all set up and working very well. The Touch is connected to the Yamaha HT receiver located in the LR via analog jacks and streaming music from PC is located in the bedroom upstairs. The PC is also connected to the Onkyo HT receiver via digital cable in the same room. If it goes well I'll get one for the basement HT system. Also looking into getting a DAC for the Touch connection.

Cool

That's how the Touch works.

I cannot imagine limiting access to music that way.

rw
    Oh, pshaw.
    I paid 350 bucks just to have decent audio at work, and will listen to music anywhere.
    But to listen in the highest quality you need decent gear, speakers, quiet, and one
    of your favorite brands of beer(optional). But for just casual listening, a hundred of my favorite
    albums on a memory stick will do. BUT when I am at the house...
    Anyway , heres what I lug to work everyday, kinda my own personal "music room".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information