Cool New Hyundai HDTVs at Walmart.

Isn't Hyundai a car makers? I wonder why they are getting into HDTV arena.

But the price don't seem to bad. A 26" Widescreen HD-Ready LCD TV for $898.00, and 32 inch LCD for $1,248.00. These prices are likely to drop once Walmart get hold of large inventory of this product.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A172479%3A3996

[QUOTE=Smokey]Isn't Hyundai a car makers? I wonder why they are getting into HDTV arena.

But the price don't seem to bad. A 26" Widescreen HD-Ready LCD TV for $898.00, and 32 inch LCD for $1,248.00. These prices are likely to drop once Walmart get hold of large inventory of this product.

Shopping at Wal-Mart is like selling your soul to the devil.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Actually, Hyundai started out making ocean freighters.

The whole shootin' match. Hulls, engines, everything. That are an industrial conglomerate in South Korea and are branching out from ship building into whatever else thay think they can do.

...and, from the way their cars have improved over the years, their TV's might be worth keeping an eye on. I just bought an Elantra last year and love it! Can't ask for more, particularly at the price they asked.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Most Asian companies operate in multiple divisons or silo's under codes of corporate principles and philosophies...a very effective method..that's why you see companies like Yamaha building everything from calculators and keyboards to motorcycles under the same banner.

Hyundai's one of the more respected manufacturers when it comes to heavy equipment as well...an interesting tidbit about this company is they're fussiness in the design stage...they typically take longer to go from concept to production than they're competitors for most of their products (which might be why some of their cars won't win beauty contests), but if they build a TV you can bet it won't be a dud, and it'll probably be a no-frills, inexpensive model. Quite honestly, I wish more companies offered no-frills items with good quality and a low price tag...

eqm
    i just hope they provide a 10 year power-train warranty.

I bought my HDTV at Walmart

A Sanyo, not a Hyundai. The price was great at ~$700 for a 32" set. The picture is great, but I guess you get what you pay for, because the damn component inputs crapped out on me! I am way too lazy to ever take it back (its a BEAST of television, and the walmart is about 45 miles away), I wonder if i could get someone to come out under warranty.. probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    A Sanyo, not a Hyundai. The price was great at ~$700 for a 32" set. The picture is great, but I guess you get what you pay for, because the damn component inputs crapped out on me! I am way too lazy to ever take it back (its a BEAST of television, and the walmart is about 45 miles away), I wonder if i could get someone to come out under warranty.. probably not.
    Regardless of the price, if the unit is under warranty and is too big to reasonably move, the manufacturer should send a tech out to fix it.

Personally, I'd love to believe that it gave up because you bought it at Wal-Mart but that just ain't so. Sanyo isn't the most reliable brand IMO.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by risabet
    Shopping at Wal-Mart is like selling your soul to the devil.
    I wouldn't go as far as that, but I hope you agree that Walmart have extremely liberal return policy. Most stores will not take any merchandise back after 30 day, but Walmart will take anything back (even after 30 days) as long as you have a receipt.

And if their prices are not low enough, you may find a product on clearance which price have been slashed 30-50% off.

And I must agree with everybody else that Hyundai have come a long way (at least as far as their cars are concerned). Who else in industry can offer 10-year or 100,000 miles powertrain warranty on their cars. Hopefully they put a long warranty on their HDTVs also

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    I am way too lazy to ever take it back (its a BEAST of television, and the walmart is about 45 miles away), I wonder if i could get someone to come out under warranty.. probably not.
    If you still have the receipt, Walmart might take it back and give you a new one. But whatever you do, do it before warranty runs out

Forum Regular
    I followed the link and checked out the product description. It says the screen itself is made by LG. I assume this means LG Tromm, which already make thin-mint LCD TVs. But from what I've seen, at a rather higher price. It doesn't appear that Wal-Mart sells LGs, but I know Circuit City does. Last time I checked CC was asking around $1300 for a 23" widescreen LG LCD. The Hyundai looks like a pretty good deal on the surface.
    Mike

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey

And I must agree with everybody else that Hyundai have come a long way (at least as far as their cars are concerned). Who else in industry can offer 10-year or 100,000 miles powertrain warranty on their cars.
    Well how about Kia -- they have the same warranty -- correct me though I believe Hyandai now owns Kia.

The Kias are quite inexpensive and not too bad either -- they have a few dogs but my folks had a Sedona which was trouble free -- not as good driveably in terms of handling etc - but safest in its class and could pull the most weight (if you had a trailer) and the best base options package, best warranty -- sucked gas though.

Still you could spend double on Toyota -- I never really understood that. It might be better but you could buy two Kia's 5 years apart for one Toyota???

Thanks Mike for the info on LG screen. $898.00 for a 26 inch LCD TV is lowest price I seen anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Well how about Kia -- they have the same warranty -- correct me though I believe Hyandai now owns Kia.
    Was this thread about HDTVs from Hyundai, or cars
    Last edited by Smokey; 03-26-2005 at 07:15 AM.

Thread Information