Most hated cable company

Printable View

• 05-21-2014, 05:34 PM
    Smokey
    Most hated cable company
    The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), put out quarterly by the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business, is "considered the most comprehensive customer satisfaction survey in the United States."

This quarter the closely watched and widely cited survey has determined that Time Warner and Comcast are the most terrible of all.

Time Warner was at the bottom of the barrel with a score of 56/100. This is actually the lowest score of all time. Comcast received a 57/100. Verizon received a 71, and AT&T a 65.

The ACSI also broke down exactly Time Warner and Comcast are doing wrong:
    High prices, poor reliability, and declining customer service are to blame for low customer satisfaction with pay TV services. The cost of subscription TV has been rising 6% per year on average—four times the rate of inflation. The rise of streaming video from companies like Netflix and Amazon, combined with pay TV’s deteriorating service quality and higher prices, has led to the first-ever net loss of television service subscribers for a full year in 2013.

http://ei.marketwatch.com/Multimedia...3-00212803fad6

• 05-22-2014, 07:45 AM
    Worf101
    Net loss eh? Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of basterds!

Worf
  • 05-22-2014, 08:04 AM
    Hyfi
    Man, I thought this was another Cable thread.

I thought Monster was the most hated Cable Company :)
  • 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM
    Feanor
    If in Canada it would like by Rogers Communications, (see Wiki), that is the most hated. Certainly I hate them but they are really the only effective high-speed provider in my area.

Recently I complained here at AR forums about Netflix "stalling"; I wasn't sure whether to blame Netflix or Rogers, well the answer was forthcoming ...

Recently Rogers was rated the slowest Netflix deliverer in the country ... Canada ISP Speed Index Results| Netflix ISP Speed Index.

This was their pathetic, bullshiit response by which they hope to avoid a charge of "throttling" which would be contrary to Canadian "net neutrality" rules ... Rogers explains why it came last in Netflix rankings - Technology & Science - CBC News A couple of years ago Rogers throttling bit torrent activity (and maybe some others stuff) but were forced to back off.

I hope they don't get away with it.
  • 05-22-2014, 01:38 PM
    ken88
    Cable companies charge a lot for their services. I am considering switching to satellite providers. Which satellite companies are the best in Canada, especially in Alberta? Is the picture quality better or worse than cable? Any idea what kind of savings one can expect between cable and satellite companies. Thanks to all your input.
  • 05-22-2014, 02:04 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ken88 View Post
    Cable companies charge a lot for their services. I am considering switching to satellite providers. Which satellite companies are the best in Canada, especially in Alberta? Is the picture quality better or worse than cable? Any idea what kind of savings one can expect between cable and satellite companies. Thanks to all your input.

I mentioned I was a Rogers subscriber but that is for Internet (and mobile), but I'm a Bell ExpressVu subscriber for TV. Service is OK but not necessarily better than Rogers who I dealt with in the past. I have no idea about Alberta were there could be different players.

With satellite you do occasionally get drop-outs, the most common cause being snow storms and thunderstorms. This can be annoying.
  • 05-22-2014, 06:03 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    I'm in Ontario and have Bell ExpressVu satellite. Every time we have snow or heavy rain we can be pretty much guaranteed a loss of service. Last night we were watching the Survivor finale when a big thunderstorm rolled in. We set the PVR to record the Western channels in case we lost the signal. We didn't, but we fully expected to.

When we had cable with Rogers, the cable would occasionally go out for no reason. At least the satellite we can usually predict the outages as they are almost always weather based.

Fibre optics TV is available here now. It's all done wirelessly through a modem. We have friends who have it and they say that the picture is excellent quality, but even they've had problems losing their internet connection. So no system is perfect.

I don't know what's available in Alberta, or in your area
  • 06-21-2014, 03:08 PM
    Phil the Fluter
    Hate is good (sometimes).
  • 06-25-2014, 05:06 AM
    Feanor
    Welcome to AR Forums, morrisnathan, and continue posting.