Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

$1.50 bluray rental from Redbox

Blu-ray discs are coming to Redbox kiosks within the next few months for $1.50-per-night, announced Redbox president Mitch Lowe at the Entertainment Supply Chain Academy Edge Conference.

That’s $0.50 more per night than the DVD rental price.

The announcement comes on the heels of Redbox securing deals with Universal, 20th Century Fox, and Warner Bros. to supply their films to Redbox kiosks 28 days after their original street date. These deals are in response to studios refusing to sell direct to Redbox at street-date to preserve sell-through often lost to low-cost rentals.

Lowe says he thinks Blu-ray will succeed at Redbox kiosks, adding that 16.9 percent of Redbox customers own a Blu-ray player and Redbox has a 23 percent share of the rental market.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey

Blu-ray discs are coming to Redbox kiosks within the next few months for $1.50-per-night, announced Redbox president Mitch Lowe at the Entertainment Supply Chain Academy Edge Conference.

The announcement comes on the heels of Redbox securing deals with Universal, 20th Century Fox, and Warner Bros. to supply their films to Redbox kiosks 28 days after their original street date. These deals are in response to studios refusing to sell direct to Redbox at street-date to preserve sell-through often lost to low-cost rentals.

Lowe says he thinks Blu-ray will succeed at Redbox kiosks, adding that 16.9 percent of Redbox customers own a Blu-ray player and Redbox has a 23 percent share of the rental market.
    See, didn't I tell you that Redbox would lose the battle with the studios.

Redbox has a 23% share of DVD rentals, but that does not garantee they will suceed in the Blu ray rentals market. Netflix has a huge lead on them in that area, and they have a lot of catching up to do. The problem is that I don't think they will have enough titles and space to really compete effectively. Just let somebody go to their kiosk at not find the title they want a few times, and its on to the next vendor.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    See, didn't I tell you that Redbox would lose the battle with the studios.
    Didn’t Netflix got the same deal regarding the 28 day ban. If Redbox had support of Walmart or Target as to how many DVDs they can sell to them, the battle probably would have been more complex. But with retailers pulling their support, the battle was pretty much over.

I have start seeing Redbox next to Kroger grocery store entrance doorway. That might be a good move considering how many grocery stores are in just in one town. Convenience might win over diversity (or lack of ).
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-12-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Didn’t Netflix got the same deal regarding the 28 day ban. If Redbox had support of Walmart or Target as to how many DVDs they can sell to them, the battle probably would have been more complex. But with retailers pulling their support, the battle was pretty much over.

I have start seeing Redbox next to Kroger grocery store entrance doorway. That might be a good move considering how many grocery stores are in just in one town. Convenience might win over diversity (or lack of ).
    Yeah, I went to my local grocery and there it was, like the mothership had landed.
    With these guys such a prominent vendor, rental of BLU can only be a good thing.
    Of course, with so much HD on my cable "day and date" of DVD release, I am not
    worried much(Shutter Island, for example).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Yes, Netflix got the same deal as redbox, which gives the studio's a 28 day window to maximize sales. Since that is all the window they need(sales on most titles come in the first and second weeks after release), it should work out for everyone. Netflix agreed to the 28 day window because they get additional titles for streaming from the studios.

Walmart and Target had issues with Redbox reps coming into their stores, and buying up their entire stock of movies. These big box retailers use DVD and Blu ray to increase foot traffic to other areas in their stores. You come in to buy a title,(at a discount mind you) and while you are there, you pick up another item(impulse buy). Having their entire first week delivery bought up decreases that foot traffic. Do you remember the lawsuit Redbox had with the studios? They dropped it, because the knew they were not going to win.

One of the biggest complaints I have heard from Redbox is that the titles rent out quickly, and they don't stock many copies of the same title. If that happens too many times, people are going to go elsewhere. For me, even a kiosk is like going to the rental store, as I have to get in my car, and drive to where the kiosk is. Netflix delivers right to my door step, and the offers streaming as well, something Redbox is going to try, but will fail at.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    I wonder how much longer Blockbuster stores will be open, $1.50 still saves $3.50 over a BB rental or PPV. I think I could drive a couple blocks to save $3.50. And the actual disc will have better quality. Of course, with BB you can keep the movie for 5 days or so, this would make them a better value if you weren't diligent on returning the movie in one night.

If Wal Mart was smart they just would have ordered enough inventroy for customers and Redbox.

I wonder how many movies are released that people are willing to buy before watching/renting? Not many in my case.

The bottom line on how people rent will depend on their habits and lifestyle I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I wonder how much longer Blockbuster stores will be open, $1.50 still saves $3.50 over a BB rental or PPV. I think I could drive a couple blocks to save $3.50. And the actual disc will have better quality. Of course, with BB you can keep the movie for 5 days or so, this would make them a better value if you weren't diligent on returning the movie in one night.
    Remember, you also have another option with netflix, and you don't have to leave your house. You can also get it in two flavors, streaming or the disc with quite a bit of titles.

If Wal Mart was smart they just would have ordered enough inventroy for customers and Redbox.
    Walmart and Target have a lot of stores, and there is just so much capacity to stamp discs on any given title. As DVD sales have declined, studios have cut back on the amount of first order product they get stamped, so they are not stuck with large inventory if the title does not sell well. Nobody, not the studios, not the retailer, wants to be stuck with a large inventory of unsold DVD's. However, if you have Redbox guys going in and buying all of the stock in large suburban markets, this cuts down first release weeks heavy foot traffic, and that cuts in deep with overall foot traffic into their stores. It is not just Redbox though, it is what little mom and pop video stores that are still in small towns all over the country that do exactly what Redbox does. They don't have distribution deals with the studios - they are too small. This is why Walmart had to limit the amount of copies any one person can buy. Redbox also had to purchase at retail prices, and they charge less than DVD's normal rental price which led to revenue loss(inventory cost versus rental price). Their business model was unsustainable.

I wonder how many movies are released that people are willing to buy before watching/renting? Not many in my case.
    Go to a place like Blu ray.com where the average person is a real HD on disc enthusiast, with Bluray collections numbering into the hundreds and in some cases thousands. If the title is big, and it comes from Disney, Sony, 20th Century Fox, they will blind buy the title without thinking about it. When it comes to Universal, Warner, and Paramount, they usually wait for the reviews. Currently, between review copies, and movies I have purchased, I have close to 900 Blu ray discs. I rent Warner, Paramount and Universal, along with MGM and Lionsgate titles before I buy. They seem to be the most inconsistent with picture quality.

The bottom line on how people rent will depend on their habits and lifestyle I believe.
    I agree.....
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    My movie rental is sparatic, it depends on what titles are out I really want to see and if the weekend will provide time to sit and watch movies. This is one thing that keeps from a Netflix membership. I am in a city yet I am at the end of a line and suffer one of the slower DSL speeds so streaming isn't an option for now. But I know a lot of people that use Netflix and it's a definite power house in movie content delivery.

Cool

My movie rental is sparatic, it depends on what titles are out I really want to see and if the weekend will provide time to sit and watch movies. This is one thing that keeps from a Netflix membership. I am in a city yet I am at the end of a line and suffer one of the slower DSL speeds so streaming isn't an option for now. But I know a lot of people that use Netflix and it's a definite power house in movie content delivery.
    Crock buster is probably DOOMED.
    I was going to rent a movie on fri, but it was due back the next day.
    So I bought it off of pay-per-veiw.
    More and more movies are "day and date" on pay per view with DVD, and this is going to kill video stores more than anything.
    4.99, and I don't have to take anything back, etc.
    And the offering was in HD with 5.1 surround.
    Wasn't too big a shock when Movie GALLERY closed all five of its stores, but
    sad, really.
    From three Blockbusters to one.
    Yes, video stores are definitely dead.
    END OF AN ERA.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Yeah, the local Movie Gallery near me also is closing. Kind of a joke...the "going out of business" prices aren't that good. I was actually going to buy three BD discs there, and the kid behind the counter said they "weren't in the system yet", and couldn't sell them to me. I didn't bother trying back the next day when he said they "should be in the system."

Anyway, if the Red Box near me starts carrying Blu-ray discs for $1.50 per night, it might be a nice way to preview a disc before purchasing.

Forum Regular
    One of the biggest complaints I have heard from Redbox is that the titles rent out quickly, and they don't stock many copies of the same title. If that happens too many times, people are going to go elsewhere. For me, even a kiosk is like going to the rental store, as I have to get in my car, and drive to where the kiosk is. Netflix delivers right to my door step, and the offers streaming as well, something Redbox is going to try, but will fail at.

I don't live in a huge town, but the Walgreens a couple of blocks away had a Redbox added about 6months ago. Last month they added another. Traffic to the story has tripled since they put that in. You can't beat $1/night, even if you keep it 2 or 3 nights. Of course, I pass that store when getting groceries, work, bank or almost anything else.

It's also close enough for people to walk to without having to cross a 4 lane road...

Forum Regular

This is great news. BLU rental at a reasonable price. Never mind about PPV, there always seems to be a high premium for that convenience and I always question what "real" quality are they sending and what "extra" compression have they done. That will probably depend on cable/sat provider, but still...

And when I think about it, very seldom do we watch something that still in its "first hot weeks" of release. I must say, the 16.9 % is rather ironic considering the screen ratio of HD content. Mass market and easy access, not to mention affordable, is their key. Of course, people in their BMW's and Lexus' prolly don't care so much about cost.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Invader3k
    Yeah, the local Movie Gallery near me also is closing. Kind of a joke...the "going out of business" prices aren't that good. I was actually going to buy three BD discs there, and the kid behind the counter said they "weren't in the system yet", and couldn't sell them to me. I didn't bother trying back the next day when he said they "should be in the system."

Anyway, if the Red Box near me starts carrying Blu-ray discs for $1.50 per night, it might be a nice way to preview a disc before purchasing.
    Wait awhile.
    I got two BLU discs at one store for 4.80 each or something like that.
    At the next one I didn't wait long enough, but still got BLADE RUNNER and
    TERMINATOR both for ten bucks.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

SWEEET!!! I have redbox kiosks all over my town and I have loved their ease of use but they did not have the blue ray disks that I so much like over the dvd's even though blue rays look and sound pretty damn good with a oppo bdp-83 with the video processing that this player can do. Heck some dvd look almost too close to blue ray when the signal is upconverted to 1080p in the oppo.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

The other issue is simple selection. Redbox kiosks carry fewer titles than a typical BB store.

T already covered this, but bottomline is that Redbox was cleaning the stores out on release day. Whatever got put on shelves, their reps were buying up.

How many movies do you watch in theaters without having seen them first? Probably most if not all of them. It's the same dynamic that goes into buying DVDs.

Your question doesn't acknowledge how the home video market changed from being driven by rentals to one driven by sell-through. Think about how much it costs to see a movie at a theater. Once the street prices for new release DVDs dropped down to around $20, the demand skyrocketed because that was close to price parity with the cost of two movie tickets.

Add the bonus features, and people had incentive to buy DVDs and take in the movie and bonus features at their own pace. And if the DVD truly isn't worth keeping, there's always the option of selling it to a used music/video store.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

How many movies do you watch in theaters without having seen them first? Probably most if not all of them. It's the same dynamic that goes into buying DVDs.
    NOT REALLY.
    The difference is that there is no outlet to see a movie before you see it in a theater.
    HENCE movie trailers.
    But I would never buy a DVD without seeing it first, either rental or the theater.
    Because I AM not adding a movie to the collection until I KNOW I want a copy.
    I do buy a MOVIE sometimes without knowing the content, but very rarely.

Your question doesn't acknowledge how the home video market changed from being driven by rentals to one driven by sell-through. Think about how much it costs to see a movie at a theater. Once the street prices for new release DVDs dropped down to around $20, the demand skyrocketed because that was close to price parity with the cost of two movie tickets.
    STILL CHEAPER TO RENT.
    And rental is still important, its just that rentals shifted from B&M to pay-per view, net, etc

Add the bonus features, and people had incentive to buy DVDs and take in the movie and bonus features at their own pace. And if the DVD truly isn't worth keeping, there's always the option of selling it to a used music/video store.
    The often badly done "bonus" features are hardly an incentive to buy a DVD.
    And the used stores are a shrinking option.
    Last time I went in there the few that sold went cheap, most the guy wouldnt touch,
    and they were popular and nearly new titles.
    BASICALLY THEY CANT sell "used" and make money, when you can get them at a grocery store for three bucks brand new.
    Thats right...THREE BUCKS.
    A big yellow box, DVDs' repackaged in clear cases, stuff like the new war of the worlds,
    three bucks each.
    Walmart. besides their bargain bin, has DVDs packaged two to a pack, ten bucks.
    An X MEN and DIE HARD collection, both ten bucks.
    AT THESE PRICES THERE IS NO RESALE MARKET, BASICALLY.
    Didnt expect DVD to die as fast as laser, and it isnt, but the stores are packed with them.
    Main reason is the economy, its still cheaper to rent, mostly, and entertainment
    is down on the list.
    And if you just push a button and order one off of cable/sat, you don't have to pay for it for awhile, great for when you're three days from payday and broke.
    Which makes PAYPERVIEW free, for all pratical purposes.
    And like the old gal said...
    YOU CAN'T BEAT FREE.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    http://www.dailyfinance.com/investin...ppear/?photo=2

That same article claims that Radioshack will finally give up the ghost though that seems like one of those fruitless ventures like putting Abe Vagoda on Celebrity Death Watch...

In case you wondered:
    http://www.abevigoda.com/
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    NOT REALLY.
    The difference is that there is no outlet to see a movie before you see it in a theater.
    HENCE movie trailers.
    But I would never buy a DVD without seeing it first, either rental or the theater.
    Because I AM not adding a movie to the collection until I KNOW I want a copy.
    I do buy a MOVIE sometimes without knowing the content, but very rarely.

STILL CHEAPER TO RENT.
    And rental is still important, its just that rentals shifted from B&M to pay-per view, net, etc

The often badly done "bonus" features are hardly an incentive to buy a DVD.
    And the used stores are a shrinking option.
    Last time I went in there the few that sold went cheap, most the guy wouldnt touch,
    and they were popular and nearly new titles.
    BASICALLY THEY CANT sell "used" and make money, when you can get them at a grocery store for three bucks brand new.
    Thats right...THREE BUCKS.
    A big yellow box, DVDs' repackaged in clear cases, stuff like the new war of the worlds,
    three bucks each.
    Walmart. besides their bargain bin, has DVDs packaged two to a pack, ten bucks.
    An X MEN and DIE HARD collection, both ten bucks.
    AT THESE PRICES THERE IS NO RESALE MARKET, BASICALLY.
    Didnt expect DVD to die as fast as laser, and it isnt, but the stores are packed with them.
    Main reason is the economy, its still cheaper to rent, mostly, and entertainment
    is down on the list.
    And if you just push a button and order one off of cable/sat, you don't have to pay for it for awhile, great for when you're three days from payday and broke.
    Which makes PAYPERVIEW free, for all pratical purposes.
    And like the old gal said...
    YOU CAN'T BEAT FREE.
    Your assertion that badly done bonus features on DVD is hardly a sell is not found in fact. Over and over surveys and focus groups have stated that extra value content is a motivator in their purchases. They see the film only as not a good value, which is why extra features are on just about every DVD or Blu ray disc. More people want extra feature than don't want them by a huge percentage.

The DVD format is officially in sunset right now - hence why you find them so cheap. The same happened with VHS once DVD had a foothold in the market.

If you have to pay for it no matter when, there is no such thing as free payperview. The name "pay per view" is absolute, even if paying the piper is delayed.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

[QUOTE]
    Your assertion that badly done bonus features on DVD is hardly a sell is not found in fact. Over and over surveys and focus groups have stated that extra value content is a motivator in their purchases. They see the film only as not a good value, which is why extra features are on just about every DVD or Blu ray disc. More people want extra feature than don't want them by a huge percentage.
    Most dont realize what they pay for these "features".
    A cheaper version for movie lovers that dont care about "online content, some
    airhead starts comments", etc would be appriciated

The DVD format is officially in sunset right now - hence why you find them so cheap. The same happened with VHS once DVD had a foothold in the market.
    No kidding

If you have to pay for it no matter when, there is no such thing as free payperview. The name "pay per view" is absolute, even if paying the piper is delayed.
    SAME THING IS TRUE ABOUT "FREE GOVT HEALTH CARE.
    Obvious that you dont understand a thing about human nature.
    A FIVE DOLLAR CHARGE mixed into a huge cable bill is hardly noticed, and when you're broke you can watch a movie and delay payment.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

[QUOTE=pixelthis]

Most dont realize what they pay for these "features".
    A cheaper version for movie lovers that dont care about "online content, some
    airhead starts comments", etc would be appriciated
    We could do without your airhead comments, but do we get that pleasure...nope. As long as people want "these features" they will be included whether you like it or not. Get used to it.

No kidding
    sí ninguna mierda tonta broma.......

SAME THING IS TRUE ABOUT "FREE GOVT HEALTH CARE.
    Obvious that you dont understand a thing about human nature.
    A FIVE DOLLAR CHARGE mixed into a huge cable bill is hardly noticed, and when you're broke you can watch a movie and delay payment.
    BS. When money it tight, people go over their bills with a fine tooth comb. They will notice a five dollar charge...rather easily I might add. And these days, folks are dumping cable left and right as they lose their homes, and cut back on monthly expenses. The folks that do have cable are not ordering VOD as much as they used to...that is for sure.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible]

BS. When money it tight, people go over their bills with a fine tooth comb. They will notice a five dollar charge...rather easily I might add. And these days, folks are dumping cable left and right as they lose their homes, and cut back on monthly expenses. The folks that do have cable are not ordering VOD as much as they used to...that is for sure.

I can agree and atest to not ordering VOD. But then, being 4 blocks (not New York blocks) away from a Redbox kiosk, I'll do that before the VOD. Not just for the money differential, but I don't trust what the cable company does to the signal. Before, they were the same price or higher than BB was and now with Redbox on the scene, that has changed everything.

The Redbox near me is *always* busy. It didn't take them long to add a second kiosk at that location.

Cool

[QUOTE=kevlarus]

I can agree and atest to not ordering VOD. But then, being 4 blocks (not New York blocks) away from a Redbox kiosk, I'll do that before the VOD. Not just for the money differential, but I don't trust what the cable company does to the signal. Before, they were the same price or higher than BB was and now with Redbox on the scene, that has changed everything.

The Redbox near me is *always* busy. It didn't take them long to add a second kiosk at that location.
    No matter what cable "does to the signal" HD from cable will always be better than DVD.
    I doubt if you're getting BLU from redbox
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

[QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible][QUOTE=pixelthis]

We could do without your airhead comments, but do we get that pleasure...nope. As long as people want "these features" they will be included whether you like it or not. Get used to it.

Of course they will notice it, but its a delayed payment.
    If you're broke till payday you can still get PPV off of cable.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

[QUOTE=pixelthis][QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible]

Of course they will notice it, but its a delayed payment.
    If you're broke till payday you can still get PPV off of cable.
    Whether the payment is delayed or not, it is going to cost them. People are trying to pare down their expenses, and unneeded or delayed wasteful spending is all the same to them.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

[QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible][QUOTE=pixelthis]

Whether the payment is delayed or not, it is going to cost them. People are trying to pare down their expenses, and unneeded or delayed wasteful spending is all the same to them.
    No understanding of human nature AT all.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information