Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nightflier

LP sales up 147%, CD sales down

From enjoythemusic.com:

"The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), a trade group that represents the United States recording industry to foster a business and legal climate that supports and promotes our members' that create, manufacture and/or distribute approximately 85 percent of all legitimate sound recordings produced and sold in the United States, has released their 2008 sales figures. Audiophiles can rejoice as the single format that experienced the most growth is vinyl, reaching an increase in sales of an impressive 147.7 percent in dollar value and 124.1 percent in volume as compared to 2007 figures! Naturally the ragged and low resolution compact disc is (rightly) suffering greatly, with a loss of 26.6 percent in dollar value as compared to 2007. Both physical media of music videos and DVD videos have also seen declines of over 50 percent. Then again music videos via digital download have experienced an increase of over 46 percent. Digital download of single track music has increased over 27 percent while digital; album downloads have increased over 33 percent. "Sales of digital music continued growing at a rapid pace in 2008, and now constitute 32 percent of the total market by value, and $2.7 billion in total shipments," said Joshua P. Friedlander, RIAA Vice President, Research and Strategic Analysis. "The market for physical recorded music goods fell 28 percent to $5.8 billion. Both CDs and music videos experienced significant declines. Vinyl continued to stage a comeback as the format more than doubled year-over-year to $57 million, the highest level since 1990."

When vinyl hits 1% of the music market, maybe those of us with turntables will have to pop open a bottle of champagne.

So does anyone what the current percentage share is?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    So does anyone what the current percentage share is?
    Working backward from the numbers quoted in the OP, I get 0.675%.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    "Vinyl continued to stage a comeback as the format more than doubled year-over-year to $57 million, the highest level since 1990."
    That is like saying VHS format is staging a comback. Who want to see the revitalization of a low dynamic, high noise analog format

We need a forum especially for the two-sided wars...like Coke vs Pepsi, Paper vs Plastic, Boxers vs Briefs, East Coast Hip-Hop vs West Coast, Yankees vs Red Sox, Conservative vs Liberal, Ford trucks vs Chevy, Blondes vs Brunettes and of course...Analog vs Digital.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    That is like saying VHS format is staging a comback. Who want to see the revitalization of a low dynamic, high noise analog format
    A voice of REASON!
    Finally!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Kinda ironic that the voice of digital converter boxes, etc should be decrying all of the
    hubdub of 57 million vinyl sales.
    My nephew makes more at his lemonade stand.
    Anyway ol smoke, heres your reward, a color avatar!
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I hope the local thrifts in my area don't see that article. They might raise their used LP prices to $1.25 or something crazy like that.......

On a side note i did see an article somewhere recently that the sale of USB TT's was much higher in 08 than analysts had predicted.

nightflier
    Smokey & Pixie on the same page? Say it isn't so...

I wasn't trying to start a debate as heated as the boxers vs. briefs one (even if Clinton sports them better than GW); I just thought it was an interesting tidbit. I actually thought the figures for downloads were also newsworthy, considering how much debate there's been 'round these parts about downloads vs. physical media.

By the way, I know vinyl is just a fraction of the CD market, but if you were a betting man, would you put your money on the horse that just improved by 147% or the one that's loosing ground? Can anyone name one other product or industry sector that can boast such an increase in this economic downturn? Yeah, I didn't think so. Now if only one of those vinyl-associated businesses was actually publicly traded, that would be even more interesting.

Smokey & Pixie on the same page? Say it isn't so...

I wasn't trying to start a debate as heated as the boxers vs. briefs one (even if Clinton sports them better than GW); I just thought it was an interesting tidbit. I actually thought the figures for downloads were also newsworthy, considering how much debate there's been 'round these parts about downloads vs. physical media.

By the way, I know vinyl is just a fraction of the CD market, but if you were a betting man, would you put your money on the horse that just improved by 147% or the one that's loosing ground? Can anyone name one other product or industry sector that can boast such an increase in this economic downturn? Yeah, I didn't think so. Now if only one of those vinyl-associated businesses was actually publicly traded, that would be even more interesting.
    But if this were a horse race, would you bet on the horse that is leading by 10 lengths instead of 11? Or the one who is dead last but is only a half lap down now?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier
    If I had entered the race last year, I would have bet on the 147% one. If I entered now, I'd probably still bet on that horse. Betting on the leader at this point wouldn't be a wise bet.

Forum Regular

The Winner Will Be....

"BIT" music by a landslide! To the public, it's all about convenience and portability.

By 2015, we'll be buying vinyl and CDs from the same "specialty" shops.

Vinyl will never rise above the audio enthusiast ranks and CDs will soon follow suit.

Thank you,

Nostradamus
    Last edited by mijs; 04-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.

nightflier
    But Nostradamus, isn't the world supposed to end in 2012?

Suppose I went into business for myself and sold 100 cola drinks this year at a dollar each. Then next year I sell 247 cola drinks at a dollar each. In the meantime, Pepsi loses some market share to Coke. Would you bet on me to move ahead of Pepsi?

nightflier
    No, but you may want to consider buying a few shares.

Forum Regular
    But Nostradamus, isn't the world supposed to end in 2012?

Man's quest for quality audio will keep us around for a while, but my previous post will come to fruition!

No kidding. I teach college level students and they are absolutely amazed that students just 5 years ago actually had CD "collections". They sure don't.
    Last edited by mijs; 04-30-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Anyway ol smoke, heres your reward, a color avatar!
    Thanks Pixel. You're too kind.

But at least couldn't you find a better picture of Festus since he look so beat up in that one

If I had entered the race last year, I would have bet on the 147% one. If I entered now, I'd probably still bet on that horse. Betting on the leader at this point wouldn't be a wise bet.
    So you would bet on the horse in last place instead of the one way out in front?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    So you would bet on the horse in last place instead of the one way out in front?
    Generally, you never buy the sector leader, because that's the one that is most expensive. You're much better off buying a clever copy-cat. Take Home Depot, for example. For years they were the market leader over Lowes, but they also sold at a premium because of it. Buying Lowes was still a good investment because the sector as a whole was doing well, and your dollar bought more shares of it. Following this strategy, with a well diversified portfolio across several sectors would typically net greater gains.

Generally, you never buy the sector leader, because that's the one that is most expensive. You're much better off buying a clever copy-cat. Take Home Depot, for example. For years they were the market leader over Lowes, but they also sold at a premium because of it. Buying Lowes was still a good investment because the sector as a whole was doing well, and your dollar bought more shares of it. Following this strategy, with a well diversified portfolio across several sectors would typically net greater gains.
    Oh, I thought we were betting on horses.
    I'll take a few shares of down-loads-r-us please.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Thanks Pixel. You're too kind.

But at least couldn't you find a better picture of Festus since he look so beat up in that one

WELCOME to the world of HD.
    You see ALL of the pic, warts and all.
    Heres the rockettes, fer instance.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mijs
    Man's quest for quality audio will keep us around for a while, but my previous post will come to fruition!

No kidding. I teach college level students and they are absolutely amazed that students just 5 years ago actually had CD "collections". They sure don't.
    I am the undertaker of this site, keep saying stuff is
    DEAD

CD's are my latest prediction.
    Audio"piles" are trying to revive vinyl and we can't even keep CD's alive.
    Hand held pocket computers that rely on distant servers for conten and even programs
    and aps?
    They're called I-FONES, or blackberry, etc.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

mutually exclusive statements.

Quote Originally Posted by mijs

Those kids are more into the convenience aspect as opposed to sound quality.

That's like saying that Lipton's Cup o' Noodles was designed to satisfy gourmet taste buds.

Forum Regular

THAT'S RIGHT! My point EXACTLY

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Those kids are more into the convenience aspect as opposed to sound quality.

That's like saying that Lipton's Cup o' Noodles was designed to satisfy gourmet taste buds.
    It's all about convenience to 90% of the music buying public! (Read my earlier post)
    That's why bit music will win out VERY soon.

Audio enthusiasts will continue to support vinyl & CDs and they will remain available in "specialty" shops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information