Loud TV commercials

Printable View

  • 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM
    Smokey
    Loud TV commercials
    WASHINGTON - US telecom regulators ordered television stations on Tuesday to turn down the volume on commercials. "The rules adopted today require that commercials have the same average volume as the programs they accompany," the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said in a statement.

    The FCC said the move was a "major step toward eliminating one of the most persistent problems of the television age -- loud commercials."

    The new rules will take effect on December 13, 2012, giving television stations enough time to be in compliance, the FCC said.

    US turns down volume on LOUD TV ads - Yahoo! New Zealand News
  • 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM
    recoveryone
    about time, several TV makers have tried to make apps to control this issue, but this is the step that needed to be done for decades.
  • 12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
    TheHills44060
    Yes I miss that functionality on my new tv. Didn't realize how much it helped till i didn't have it anymore.
  • 12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
    Smokey
    Thnaks guys
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Yes I miss that functionality on my new tv. Didn't realize how much it helped till i didn't have it anymore.

    The only functionality I seen on TV regrding loud ads was dynamic setting which suppose to even out the volume loudness. But it never worked.

    Another problem is commercial lenght (in a given hour) have increased over the years. One hour shows used to be over 50 minutes, where now it only 42 minutes. Half hour shows used to be 25, and now it is 21 minutes long.
  • 12-16-2011, 05:44 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    The only functionality I seen on TV regrding loud ads was dynamic setting which suppose to even out the volume loudness. But it never worked.

    Another problem is commercial lenght (in a given hour) have increased over the years. One hour shows used to be over 50 minutes, where now it only 42 minutes. Half hour shows used to be 25, and now it is 21 minutes long.

    Yeah, I could tolerate the loud ads if there were fewer ads.
    :mad:
  • 12-16-2011, 06:19 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    My work around is to PVR just about everything I want to watch. Easy to skip those pesky ads.
  • 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
    TheHills44060
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    The only functionality I seen on TV regrding loud ads was dynamic setting which suppose to even out the volume loudness. But it never worked.

    Another problem is commercial lenght (in a given hour) have increased over the years. One hour shows used to be over 50 minutes, where now it only 42 minutes. Half hour shows used to be 25, and now it is 21 minutes long.

    Yep it was some sort of dynamic loudness auto adjuster thingy. It seemed to work on an old 32" panasonic i had. I say that because my panasonic plasma doesn't have it and i notice the loudness of commercials much more.

    It could just be what you stated...commercials are simply longer now and possibly even louder.
  • 12-16-2011, 05:19 PM
    woggysworld
    more subtle mind control
  • 12-18-2012, 02:21 AM
    kendra_03
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    WASHINGTON - US telecom regulators ordered television stations on Tuesday to turn down the volume on commercials. "The rules adopted today require that commercials have the same average volume as the programs they accompany," the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said in a statement.

    The FCC said the move was a "major step toward eliminating one of the most persistent problems of the television age -- loud commercials."

    The new rules will take effect on December 13, 2012, giving television stations enough time to be in compliance, the FCC said.

    US turns down volume on LOUD TV ads - Yahoo! New Zealand News


    Loud TV advertisement is pissing and a pain in the ass too. Luckily, CALM law is now regulated by FCC. On December 13th the CALM law went into impact. Under that law, it is a federal violation for broadcasters, cable providers and satellite operators to have the volume up too high during advertisements. Source of article:CALM law keeps the volume down during commercials