• 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    It looks like Warner swallowed New Line Cinema
    I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who works at Warner, and was going to start working at New Line in August. Looks like his plans are torpedoed. I just got word that Warner has folded New Line into Warners infrastructure. Though it will remain a seperate entity, all the decisions will be made at Warner, but New Line will retain its studio operations. Some employees will move over to Warner, some laid off, but two guys both CEO of New Line(Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne) are history. Their demise has been rumored for months, and in reality I am sure they were not all that surprised.

The New Line name will live on, but they will not have the decision making power to run themselves. I am not sure if this will impact the kind of movies you see from New Line, but I know some movies that were iffy to produce in the past, will probably not be in the future. Warner is alot more conservative than New Line is, that is for sure. I think you are going to see New Line as being more "indie" oriented, and Warner being the more traditional. Alot of details are still being worked out, and more announcement of this move will follow in the near future.

This is breaking news from the audioreview internet forum network.....
  • 02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
    pixelthis
    Sounds like new line will be history soon.
    Warner saw a way to save some money.
    We are headed into a hugh recession, look for companies to start consolidating.
    WARNER WILL SAVE MONEY DOING THIS, and that is key in hard times
  • 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Sounds like new line will be history soon.
    Warner saw a way to save some money.
    We are headed into a hugh recession, look for companies to start consolidating.
    WARNER WILL SAVE MONEY DOING THIS, and that is key in hard times

Isn't that kind of like the guy in the middle of the dessert showing a sign saying there will be a drout?
  • 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Isn't that kind of like the guy in the middle of the dessert showing a sign saying there will be a drout?

LOLOLOL.....tehehehehehehe.....snicker snicker....WAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! G,G, G, G....
  • 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

no, its rather like a guy in the middle of a so called "healthy economy" built on debt
    saying that the parties over. And that is not how you spell "drought".
    The dow was down 315 (again) today.
    THE DOLLAR is worth .75 euros
    OIL is 102 bucks a barrel, gas will be 4 to 5 bucks a gallon by spring.
    What does this have to do with "home theater"?
    Well, discretionary spending will be the first thing out the window when everybodies losing their job.
    SIR TALKY WAS POSTING A THREAD THAT NEW LINE GOT "GOBBLED" UP.
    So don't think that just because you wear a "white collar" to work instead of a blue
    one to work that you'll be immune, just ask the people at new line.
    And don't think that just because your bank acct is healthy that you dont have to worry.
    That money will buy a LOT less these days.
    A subway sandwich cost me nine bucks the other day
  • 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Lincoln
    what movies came out from new line cinema

A bunch.

More than WILL be coming out in the future.
    The people at "new line" have been working for Warner, now a lot won't be working for ANYBODY
  • 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    no, its rather like a guy in the middle of a so called "healthy economy" built on debt
    saying that the parties over. And that is not how you spell "drought".
    The dow was down 315 (again) today.
    THE DOLLAR is worth .75 euros
    OIL is 102 bucks a barrel, gas will be 4 to 5 bucks a gallon by spring.
    What does this have to do with "home theater"?
    Well, discretionary spending will be the first thing out the window when everybodies losing their job.
    SIR TALKY WAS POSTING A THREAD THAT NEW LINE GOT "GOBBLED" UP.
    So don't think that just because you wear a "white collar" to work instead of a blue
    one to work that you'll be immune, just ask the people at new line.
    And don't think that just because your bank acct is healthy that you dont have to worry.
    That money will buy a LOT less these days.
    A subway sandwich cost me nine bucks the other day

Healthy economy? Who's been saying that? I've been hearing how "the economy is strugling" since 2001.
  • 02-29-2008, 04:54 PM
    Woochifer
    Sad to see. I doubt that a Warner-controlled New Line Cinema would have ever given the green light to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, or rolled out a big promotional blitz for a then-unknown (at least to mainstream American audiences) like Jackie Chan.

No way that Warner would have shelled out ~$300 million to produce all three LOTR films at the same time, and hand the reigns over to a Kiwi director like Peter Jackson who'd never directed a big budget production before. New Line's autonomy allowed them to basically gamble the entire company on LOTR.

And without New Line, I'm not sure that Jackie Chan would have ever achieved mainstream success in America. New Line treated Jackie like a legitimate A-lister (which he had been for many years elsewhere in the world), and promoted him as such. Other studios would have probably treated him like a foreign novelty act, or relegated him to the art house circuit. New Line laid out the groundwork by releasing Jackie's HK films into mainstream multiplexes in middle America, and New Line's prep work paid off in a big way when the first Rush Hour garnered audiences far beyond anyone's projections. It legitimized New Line's belief that American audiences were ready for an Asian star like Jackie.

Looks like New Line's gambling style finally came up snake eyes, and moviegoers are worse off for it.
  • 02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
    bfalls
    I just performed the copy protection on the FS and WS versions of New Line's "Golden Compass". I'm not sure of the relationship, but we're also doing the French Canadian versions for Alliance. Tomorrow I'm doing "The Orphanage". SonyDADC DigitalWorks has a contract to perform copy protection on four other New Line titles in the next few months.
  • 02-29-2008, 08:55 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Boy Wooch I hope Warner don't styfel New Line like that. Some one tells Hollywood, "been there, done that", and they say, "so, let's do it again". If anyone needs new ideas and to take risks, it's the movie industry.

$9.00 for a Subway? What's worse, them charging it or you paying it? That's crazy. I fed four of us tonight, 2 adults/2 children, for $10.75, large pizza, Papa John's. Dude wise up, learn some economics maybe you can afford a new power cord.
  • 03-01-2008, 06:40 AM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

Why would a guy in the desert be holding a sign advertisng "Fresh Trout"?. Don't you think it would go bad in short order? Or his he perhaps using a Rhonko Food Dehydrater and selling Fish Chips? I hear they are delicious.
  • 03-01-2008, 07:04 AM
    Mr Peabody
    " Will work for food and know how to grout ", wouldn't he get more attention if he wasn't in the desert? Wonder if his horse has a name.
  • 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Boy Wooch I hope Warner don't styfel New Line like that. Some one tells Hollywood, "been there, done that", and they say, "so, let's do it again". If anyone needs new ideas and to take risks, it's the movie industry.

$9.00 for a Subway? What's worse, them charging it or you paying it? That's crazy. I fed four of us tonight, 2 adults/2 children, for $10.75, large pizza, Papa John's. Dude wise up, learn some economics maybe you can afford a new power cord.

the sub was six bucks, a drink and chips brought it to 9 bucks.
    And Warner wont "stifle" NEW LINE, they will DISMANTLE it to save a few bucks.
    BTW its funny how that silly fraud always "hears" something from a "buddy" in the industry the same day it appears in USA today.
    I'm on to you sir talky, so ho9w old are you really, 12? 13?

And I went ahead and paid for it because it looked so good, but even I'm not crazy enough to pay several hundred bucks for a friggin POWER CORD...unlike some people