New Bluray format BDXL approved

The Blu-ray Disc Association has just approved final format specifications for BDXL, a new Blu-ray disc format that have quadruple-layer capability with up to 128 GB of storage capacity. It supports triple-layer discs that can handle up to 100 GB of rewritable data, and read-only quadruple-layer 128 GB discs.

“The BDA worked diligently to create an extension of the Blu-ray Disc format that leverages the physical structure of the design of the disc to create even more storage capacity,” said BDA global promotions committee chair Victor Matsuda, in a statement.

Initially, BDXL is primarily targeting commercial applications like medical imaging and document archiving….but it probably will only be matter of time before Hollywood’s producers get an idea about what they could do with all that extra storage capacity.

Existing Blu-ray players won’t be able to handle the BDXL format; however, new gear that supports BDXL will be able to support existing 25 GB and 50 GB Blu-ray formats.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...y-disc-format/

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    This is almost no news to video consumers. These disc will never see the light of day on the consumer version of Blu ray format. It is only for commercial purposes only.

Panasonic has already developed a 100GB disc that is compatible with all Bluray players except the first generation(which are probably already headed to the dust bin). The could possibly be used in th future, but word has it, not anytime soon.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Thanks for info sir TT.

After reading your response, I guess my question would be why develop a new format with only slightly larger capacity--when as you said there is already one in existance and compatible with current players. May be there are more advantages with new BDXL format.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Thanks for info sir TT.

After reading your response, I guess my question would be why develop a new format with only slightly larger capacity--when as you said there is already one in existance and compatible with current players. May be there are more advantages with new BDXL format.
    This disc format actually increases the capacity of each layer from 25GB to 33GB per layer with the last layer being 28GB.

The Panasonic disc is 25GB per layer, and there are four layers. So you get an additional 28GB with the BDXL format, but it is not compatible with any Blu ray player.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs