• 09-06-2013, 07:13 PM
    Smokey
    HDMI 2.0 officially announced
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....ation-cabl.jpg

    Arriving just in time for the wide rollout of a new generation of Ultra HDTVs (4K), HDMI 2.0 adds a few key capabilities to the connection standard.

    With increased bandwidth capacity of up to 18Gbps, it has enough room to carry 3,840 x 2,160 resolution video at up to 60fps. It also has support for up to 32 audio channels.H

    DMI 2.0 also can handle up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency, dual video streams for multiple users on a single screen, multi-stream audio to as many as 4 users at once and support for 21:9 widescreen displays.

    The connector itself is unchanged which mean it have backwards compatibility. The cables won't change either, as the group claims current high-speed Category 2 wires can handle the increased bandwidth.

    HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio
  • 09-07-2013, 07:42 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    The connector itself is unchanged which mean it have backwards compatibility. The cables won't change either, as the group claims current high-speed Category 2 wires can handle the increased bandwidth.

    Hmmm ... does this say anything -- anything at all -- about believers in $1000 HDMI cables? E.g. HERE.
  • 09-07-2013, 07:18 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Hmmm ... does this say anything -- anything at all -- about believers in $1000 HDMI cables? E.g. HERE.

    Maybe those believers should check out this article from PCMagazine where after several testing, they concluded that a $5 HDMI cable will provide the same performance as a $100 one.

    Slaying the Cable Monster: Why HDMI Brands Don't Matter | PCMag.com
  • 09-08-2013, 04:05 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Maybe those believers should check out this article from PCMagazine where after several testing, they concluded that a $5 HDMI cable will provide the same performance as a $100 one.

    Slaying the Cable Monster: Why HDMI Brands Don't Matter | PCMag.com

    Of course there will always be Golden Ears & Golden Eyes who deny the validity of findings like these.

    PCmag: "We've left out some of the more lavishly expensive HDMI cables, like the AudioQuest Vodka and Diamond series of HDMI cables, because they can retail for over $1,000 (AudioQuest does offer a Pearl series of HDMI cables, which retails for around $40. Unless those cables can let me eat the food I see on the Food Network, they're not worth the price of an actual HDTV."

    Apart from the audio & videophiles with over-active imaginations, for Joe Average at shopping BestBuy cables are an after-though. Joe buys a 60" 3D plasma and the salesman says, "You know you'll be needing a couple of HDMI cables with that, right?". And Joe says, "Well, err, uhm, I guess so" and gets sucked into buying a couple $100 Monster cables.

    Joe would be better off reading Blue Jean Cable's comments on HDMI, (HERE), and checking BJC's prices for a benchmark -- top-of-the line, 6 foot, $30.
  • 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Apart from the audio & videophiles with over-active imaginations, for Joe Average at shopping BestBuy cables are an after-though. Joe buys a 60" 3D plasma and the salesman says, "You know you'll be needing a couple of HDMI cables with that, right?". And Joe says, "Well, err, uhm, I guess so" and gets sucked into buying a couple $100 Monster cables.

    Most of time it is really the store to blame for pushing "expensive" accessories to its shoppers. Saleperson is just following the store policy.The problem is that once in a while, the less technical savy saleperson run into an informed or knowlegable customer and then you have stand there and argue with saleguy as who is right.