HD Radio Rollout Now Starting Up

After floating along under the radar for the last year or so, it looks like HD Radio is now getting the big rollout, according to an LA Times article. The biggest radio station conglomerates, including Clear Channel and CBS Radio (Infinity), have formed an alliance and begun a $200 million marketing campaign to promote HD Radio and educate consumers about the new format. Over 700 stations currently broadcast in HD Radio, and that figure is projected to more than double by the end of the year.

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la...102,full.story

Aside from an upgrade in audio quality for both AM and FM broadcasts, HD Radio will also allow for stations to add up to five multicast channels. In the LA market for example, the "smooth jazz" station will add a multicast channel that plays traditional jazz, while the classic rock station will multicast a so-called Anglo/Hispanic fusion rock format.

The drawback of course is that there are currently fewer than 100,000 HD Radio receivers out there, and the hardware prices remain high for now. According to the article, the broadcasters see the mobile market as the key to HD Radio's future, and are lobbying auto makers to include HD Radio tuners with new cars.

Add this to the turmoil with satellite radio (huge 4th quarter losses and XM's CEO resigning and warning of a financial crisis with satellite radio), and you got a lot of things happening with the radio market right now.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I've heard HD radio

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    After floating along under the radar for the last year or so, it looks like HD Radio is now getting the big rollout, according to an LA Times article. The biggest radio station conglomerates, including Clear Channel and CBS Radio (Infinity), have formed an alliance and begun a $200 million marketing campaign to promote HD Radio and educate consumers about the new format. Over 700 stations currently broadcast in HD Radio, and that figure is projected to more than double by the end of the year.

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la...102,full.story

Aside from an upgrade in audio quality for both AM and FM broadcasts, HD Radio will also allow for stations to add up to five multicast channels. In the LA market for example, the "smooth jazz" station will add a multicast channel that plays traditional jazz, while the classic rock station will multicast a so-called Anglo/Hispanic fusion rock format.

The drawback of course is that there are currently fewer than 100,000 HD Radio receivers out there, and the hardware prices remain high for now. According to the article, the broadcasters see the mobile market as the key to HD Radio's future, and are lobbying auto makers to include HD Radio tuners with new cars.

Add this to the turmoil with satellite radio (huge 4th quarter losses and XM's CEO resigning and warning of a financial crisis with satellite radio), and you got a lot of things happening with the radio market right now.
    And it's better than analog FM in many ways. Can't wait till they start putting it in receivers.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I hope it sounds better than satellite radio. I had XM and I thought it sounded bad. I think there was too much compression. I then got Sirius later on and it sounds bad as well but I mostly listen to the talk radio so it isn't such a big deal.

Now all they need is for the hardware to get down to realistic prices.

Without that, it'll be another stillborn technological advance that nobody realy cared about.

At least they threw in AM stereo for free. ...before the public threw it out.

I have heard XM and Serious, and they sounded compressed to me also. Thought it was just me.

Come on HD radio! Someone save us.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information