Cool Great news for GM, a 1080p projector for under a grand

Vivitek has comeout with a video projector for under 1,000.
    Its the Vivitek H1080, for 999.
    Its the first 1080p projector at that price (or so the article says).
    This projector is part of a 3k SYSTEM featured in the latest S&V.
    jump on it, G, I know you love projectors.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Wow that's less than I paid for my Epson...If it is even mediocre in picture quality it offers a lot of value to people looking for low-cost solutions for a big-screen home theater.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    So my projector is a Sharp XR-32X. It's only 720P and I bought it last year for $600. The picture looks really good. I'm thinking that I'll keep it as my main projector for a couple more years and then upgrade. There's advantages to being 3 steps behind the bleeding edge...... (e.g. I save a boat load of money)..
    Last edited by manlystanley; 12-15-2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Thanks for thinking of me Pix. (No, not that way)

I have been eyeing that model as well as the Optoma HD20 (also under $1k). They both look like nice upgrades for me. I just changed the bulb in my Z-4 over the weekend. It should last me a few more years. (Got 3300 hours out of the last one) Once it's time for me to upgrade, there will most likely be even better models available. If I were to upgrade right now though, I'd spring for the Epson Cinema 8100. At $1500 it's a much nicer unit for me. Here is a good place to compare models. http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

Maybe one of our Z-4's would look great in the baby's room. So what if she's only 4&1/2 months. She needs a good TV and we need a replacement.
    Last edited by GMichael; 12-15-2009 at 10:33 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks for thinking of me Pix. (No, not that way)

I have been eyeing that model as well as the Optoma HD20 (also under $1k). They both look like nice upgrades for me. I just changed the bulb in my Z-4 over the weekend. It should last me a few more years. (Got 3300 hours out of the last one) Once it's time for me to upgrade, there will most likely be even better models available. If I were to upgrade right now though, I'd spring for the Epson Cinema 8100. At $1500 it's a much nicer unit for me. Here is a good place to compare models. http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

Maybe one of our Z-4's would look great in the baby's room. So what if she's only 4&1/2 months. She needs a good TV and we need a replacement.
    3300 hrs eh? I think I'm around 2400 or so right now...it looks fine still. My room's light is fairly low - dark walls, dimmed wall sconces....At what point can you tell if the bulb needs to be replaced? Does it gradually get dimmer or lose color? I suspect sometime in 2010 I'll run into that...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    3300 hrs eh? I think I'm around 2400 or so right now...it looks fine still. My room's light is fairly low - dark walls, dimmed wall sconces....At what point can you tell if the bulb needs to be replaced? Does it gradually get dimmer or lose color? I suspect sometime in 2010 I'll run into that...
    My projector has a light that comes on. But the bulb worked fine for weeks after the light came on. Then it started to get dim. I noticed it most during video games.

I keep my bulb in econo mode. Not sure what Epson calls that mode, but you should have something similar. The new Epsons are supposed to get 4k hours on a bulb.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    My projector has a light that comes on. But the bulb worked fine for weeks after the light came on. Then it started to get dim. I noticed it most during video games.

I keep my bulb in econo mode. Not sure what Epson calls that mode, but you should have something similar. The new Epsons are supposed to get 4k hours on a bulb.
    Yeah, there's a mode that gets longevity out of the bulb, but forget what they call it. That's what I have it on. In my room with the lights dim, even on the low settings it puts out a lot of contrast and makes for a very good picture. I was just curious if it was like an incandescent bulb and just failed one day, or if there was a gradual reduced perfomance to give you a warning.
    I have the extras on standby when this one finally croaks.

Thread Information