Suspended

Get current NIB Rotel or B&W discounted and shipped to your door ,legit.

Apparently Spearitsound and Rotel/B&W have parted ways and if you've ever wanted either at a discount and shipped right to your door, here's the chance.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Rotel/rotelexplode.htm

Ajani
    After more than 21 years, we are ending our affiliation with B&W. B&W builds a terrific product but some of their current product trends and marketing strategies are no longer relevant to how our business is growing.
    What the Hell does that mean?

I'm just guessing that they mean that B&W and Rotel are not interested in internet sales and Spearit Sound is moving mostly/exclusively to that route.

Thanks for the link Mr. P (it's not relevant to me since I have a local Rotel dealer, but it should be useful to many persons)...

Charm Thai™
    Thanks Peabody!!! Think i may snag some 686's for a 2nd system in the spare room...I love those little damn things for some reason, should go good with the Velodyne Microvee i just picked up.

Suspended
    I don't think Spearitsound is focusing on internet sales. Internet sales is a way for them to move certain items and move them quicker and larger volume than just through their retail stores. There were previous Rotel specials on the website but they specified "local sale only". I believe Spearitsound and Rotel/B&W had a falling out and Spearitsound is dumping their remaining inventory. Seeing they only have basically one guy handling the internet or used gear sales I doubt it's the largest part of their business. Jack does have a back up who answers some of the email on the weekend but it's usually worth waiting for Jack.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Intersting how the smallest markup I've seen on that site over the discounted price is 25%. I highly doubt Spearitsound is not still making money off these units at those prices. Wonder how much Rotel marks up the gear to the dealer network?

If their moving to the internet sale model I'm not surprised. There's a lot less overhead and risk that way, it's going to be hard for all but the most lucrative hi-fi stores to survive in the long-run. There's good and bad in that.

Could just be a vendor/manufacturer fallout. Some good deals for someone to be had. Nice find.

Suspended
    Internet sales are difficult if you want to audition several brands. I guess my attitude will have to change, if this is the way a dealer wants to do business they had better get used to accepting returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Internet sales are difficult if you want to audition several brands. I guess my attitude will have to change, if this is the way a dealer wants to do business they had better get used to accepting returns.
    I can see some O/L retailers shortening the return period to make it near impossible to do a reasonable audition and still get it back to them in time. Just call me a pessimist.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

My thoughts exactly. Though I know more and more brick and mortar stores that don't do in home demos or have restocking fees of 10%, etc. That can easily exceed the cost of shipping both ways. At least you can see the stuff before paying money though. Not sure if that's always worth 25-50% of the product's price but running stores ain't cheap. If it took you 5 purchases to find a keeper, I could see shipping adding up.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I can see some O/L retailers shortening the return period to make it near impossible to do a reasonable audition and still get it back to them in time. Just call me a pessimist.
    This bugs me about stores too. I used to be able to find a place that would let me put a deposit down (sometimes not even if I knew them well) and keep the gear for a week, maybe 2. Now I see a weekend, 2 days, and more are asking to purchase and refund...

Maybe the companies could start stepping up and standing behind their products by compensating dealers for this cost?

Forum Regular

Thanks for the alert Mr. Peabody !

I'll have to check out the prices on the Rotel CDP. A month ago I purchased Belles Soloist 5 Amp and Belles Solist 3 pre-amp ($1100.00 package price for gently used demo gear) and I need a CDP to go with the electronics. Just 3 days ago my new speakers arrived, Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i ($225.00/pr)....so a Rotel might just be the finishing touch??? Thanks again for the alert.

LeRoy

Suspended
    LeRoy, I've been snooping around at CD player, Audio Advisor has the Musical Fidelity X-Ray V8 on blow out for $799.99. These are "half chasis" but the performance is supposed to be top notch. $799.99 is for the player and the separate power supply.

When it comes right down to it why don't manufactures add a couple people to answer the phone and input orders, just eliminate dealers all together? That's basically what Emotiva, outlaw, SVS and some others do. Let's hope it don't come to that.

It seems that people are caring less and less about sound quality and are more worried about the accessing of music and convenience of playback. People will still seek out brand names, especially when buying online w/o an audition. I think that the majority of the targeted web customers will probably buy on cost and features and put the actual, not perceived, SQ far down on the list. This would put the return rate a very small percentage, mostly from malfunctions. I'm afraid that us that do care are a small part of the projected profit picture for these companies.

Forum Regular

Mr. Peabody, you are an audio scholar and gentleman indeeed

Thanks for the redirect to Musical Fidelity CDP. I will definitely investigate this one. I have not auditioned any M.F. gear before but have read plenty of good reviews on their products.

With regard to Rotel CDP 1072... I have always been smitten by the player's sound and have considered it to be the player to get for under $1K.....however....need to check out the M.F. now.

Luvin Da Blues,

A few weeks ago my local audio dealer and I were talking about peoples tastes and attitudes toward high-end electronics and one thing we agreed on was people new to the high end sound of electronics need a mentor. It's quite a leap for someone who thinks only big box electronic chains carry the only audio to take home. Most people who hold this notion are too nervous and don't take the time to listen to the music presented from high end electronics. I think in the new emerging economy our sharing of info in threads like those here on this site will be an invaluable guide to anyone partaking in this audio hobby of ours....and hopefully SQ will still be the desired final outcome.

So, thanks to all who have shared their ideas, opinions, and alerts in this forum. SQ does matter.

LeRoy

Suspended
    LeRoy, a sort of CD player discussion has hijacked the "Emotiva tid bits From the Horses Mouth" thread if you want to stop in. Frenchmon received one of the X-rays today and it was basically DOA, so you might want to see how that goes before pulling the trigger. The Creek Evolution is also being sold at $699.00 which may be one for you to check out as well, normally $1095.00. Do you feel the 1072 lacks attack or dynamics? Typically, when I've heard Rotel they seemed to make the music seem what I used to call "sluggish" but it is more of a laid back sound, not quite as much snap and punch as other brands?

Forum Regular

I've already pulled the trigger :)

On the M.F after reading reviews on What Hi-Fi and a couple of other links found while surfing the net for info. I am hopeful the unit will not be DOA but I won't know till the middle of next week....so, I will let everyone know the results of the delivery when I unpack the unit.

With regard to the Rotel CDP.....I agree it is a laid back sound and dynamics/attack is not the player's forte. While I do find the player to pace more slowly than others it still is not as slow at the Cambridge 640 player we were discussing in another thread. Overall, I think the Rotel is still a good match for speakers, electronics, and music that is also laid back.

The Belles is laid back electronics and the Mordaunt-Short speakers are quite lively without sounding harsh when lively music is played and can also sound quite eloquent with softer music. In both genre's, however, they do maintain a forwardness about them without losing composure. So far I am very pleased with the M.S. Avant 902i's.

LeRoy

Suspended
    I paid $600 for my 1072 CDP 2 years ago without much haggling at all so $560 is surely at a price point where they are still making close to $100 bucks in the sale. Most Higher End gear has always had close to a 80%-100% markup if you actually pay list price.

Suspended
    They are surely wanting to move the inventory but no one said they were letting it go at cost or loss. Even though you need to move inventory the point is to still make money. They also most likely want to stay within reason as to not start back lash from other dealers.

Forum Regular
    Rotel and B&W are brands that are not sold through mail order or internet by any authorized dealer - only in a store. This sounds like either gray market or B.S.

Suspended
    Well Monkey Moose you should have followed the link, and read the rest of the posts then yours wouldn't have sounded so stupid.

Oh good, I see we are still posting about audio issues in this forum?

what issues? Oh wait i havent spent enough time on this forum board to find that out.........never mind....im ignorant i guess.
    Audio exploits of the past year
    :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/budgetaudio6/

even more here!
    http://s574.photobucket.com/home/budgetaudio6/index
    and yes its been a slow but full 3 or 4 years yet!

Forum Regular
    Well Monkey Moose you should have followed the link, and read the rest of the posts then yours wouldn't have sounded so stupid.
    Stupid, pal my local dealer sells B&W and Rotel and told me not 2 months ago that no authorized dealer is allowed those two brands to be sold over the internet/mail order. Then again things may have changed since August...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Mouse
    Stupid, pal my local dealer sells B&W and Rotel and told me not 2 months ago that no authorized dealer is allowed those two brands to be sold over the internet/mail order. Then again things may have changed since August...

In the very first post Mr. Peabody says that Spearit Sound and Rotel/B&W have parted ways. In that case they are no longer an authorized dealer. I would think they could sell any existing product any way they wanted.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information