Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emotiva ERC-1

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

Emotiva ERC-1

Did you all see this, look at the comments to the review:

http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/...player-review/

************For your reading pleasure:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This product was released without proper FCC testing. It was illegal.

I know…I was there. I will testify in court that Lonnie Vaughn told me the unit had not been tested. He told me to tell anyone who asked that the omission of a safety statement in the manual was an oversight. I did so.

This was a lie.

Dan Laufman released this unit without safety testing. Lonnie found a company in Georgia who did a quickie certification on the hush-hush.

This is an example of Emotiva’s poor planning…also an exmaple of their sometimes deceptive tactics.

Lonnie was worried that if this was discovered, the company would be shut down. Laufman should have listened to him.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Have you tried to substantiate the claim? I read what was posted on the review but sounds like a disgruntled customer or employee.

Any Emotiva owners with any information? I will be working for many more hours so I will not have time until later to check into this story.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Dann G was a former employee who left under not the best circumstances. Hey, the info could be true...wouldn't be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Have you tried to substantiate the claim?
    I did, and am waiting for a response.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    I did, and am waiting for a response.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Thank you.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

This is what I wrote:

Hello,
    There is a rumor going around the web that Emotiva could be
    'shut down' because of you 'illegally released the ERC-1 without FCC
    approval. Further the rumor says that Emotiva is being taken to court
    on this. Can you please comment one this?

**********what Emotiva said:

Hello Stan, the rumor mill keeps on turning. The ERC-1 is fully compliant with standards, whether FDA, FCC or otherwise.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Vincent Chen
    Sales Manager
    Emotiva Audio
    135 Southeast Parkway Court
    Franklin, TN 37064
    615 790 6754

Cool

BEING "sloppy" on such a simple matter would not jibe with my experience with the company.
    I got my order the next evening, build q is unreal, so is performance, and as a bonus it runs cool, and has a long warranty. I was extremely skeptical about this company at first, but
    they made a believer outta me. I CAN understan the legions of loyal followers.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    I'm glad you got a reply Stan. I invited Emo to respond to the thread but seems no one cared to post.

I suspect these types of scare tactics may continue as Emo grows in popularity and becomes more of a threat to the established market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I suspect these types of scare tactics may continue as Emo grows in popularity and becomes more of a threat to the established market.
    I fully agree. Emo is putting the squeeze on this market. They are shaking up things......... So, companies playing dirty pool is par for the course.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Does anyone here own the Emotiva CD player? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I may grab one at that price just to check it out.

Charm Thai™
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Does anyone here own the Emotiva CD player? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I may grab one at that price just to check it out.
    I've been wondering about it too...the only piece of Emo gear i would consider even bringing through my front door, the rest of their stuff bleh. They seem to be preying on people who are wanting to get something for nothing. IMO.

Suspended
    You might do a search here, there was a couple long threads on the ERC-1. I own one, Kex owns one and I think maybe another member. Any way the ERC-1 is a steal. It's built solid and has an aluminum remote. I A/B'd it against the NAD 545 and the ERC-1 was better in every aspect except bass slam. The good, large sound stage, a lot of air around instruments and good detail. Now if you want to spend several times the price you may find a unit that can compete. We also put it up against Frenchmon's Rotel, if memory serves the ERC bested it as well. The ERC did not sound as good as Frenchmon's Musical Fidelity nor my T+A. In it's price and higher the ERC-1 is very good. My, criticism of the ERC-1's sound I find it to be a bit sterile or lack of any emotion or pace. Some call this "neutral", I do not. The reason I don't is even neutral has some tonal quality. In a sub $1k unit the ERC-1's strenghts I think will make it tough to beat but if you have the money to invest and looking for a main player there is better to be had. The ERC-1 should be listened to before spending the extra money, there's a 30 day no risk return. Then at least you have a reference.

I am currently using the ERC-1 in a second system connected to a Krell integrated via XLR. I've used Dynaudio Audience 60's and currently Klipsch Heresy's. So you know the ERC-1 has to have some quality to be tolerable with the Krell.

Charm Thai™
    Peabody, what do you think of the slot loading mechanism? Is it tolerable to deal with?

Suspended
    Yeah, I got used to it. When first turned on though you have to wait a minute for the mechanism, I guess to get into place. You slide the disc in slowly and you can feel when the unit takes over and begins to pull it in. You wouldn't believe how heavy and solid the ERC is.

I don't have a nice T+A player like Mr. P, but I do have a decent Arcam unit that is bested by it. I would agree with Mr. P's opinion, my biggest impressions were soundstage and detail. I think some people might not like the tonal quality of the unit for preference reasons, but it's a solid machine. Won't please everyone though.

The slot loader is kinda cool when you get used to it. The only thing ergonomically I don't like about it is the power button. The remote is also very cool and heavy, but you need to remove screws to replace batteries which I don't like...still...cool remote, feels like you're controlling a holo-deck or something.

So, I take it that the ERC-1 would wipe the floor with my Denon 3930ci? Maybe I see a ERC-1 in my future??

Does anyone have the USP-1? What do you think of it??

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-07-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shodulik
    They seem to be preying on people who are wanting to get something for nothing. IMO.

So, I know this is meant as a criticism, but still it fits me like a glove. I always try to get as much as I can for as little expense. If I could get something [of high quality that I really needed] for nothing.....I'd jump at it.

But, still, I don't feel 'put upon' by emo. Maybe I'll change. Maybe, I'll suddenly see what has gone on and become furious that I was given something for nothing..... How dare treat me like this..... :-)

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 08-07-2010 at 05:15 AM.

So, I take it that the ERC-1 would wipe the floor with my Denon 3930ci? Maybe I see a ERC-1 in my future??

Best Regards,
    Stan
    I've not heard the 3930ci so can't say. "Wipe the floor" is subjective term - I personally find the difference swapping CD players is not as big as say the difference swapping speakers (acknowledging many people disagree with me) so some managing of expectations is required here. You may find it wipes the floor, or you may find the changes are smaller than you expected...whether it's worth it to you or not, or whether you enjoy the sound characteristics of the unit are answers I can't provide. I would expect it to hang with some of the brands you see it compared to frequently.

Haven't heard the USP-1. I have the UMC-1, it sounds pretty good for what it is, and I'm told the USP-1 takes it up a bit. Roardrunner is very fond of his. I have a Rotel in my 2-channel rig I'm tempted to replace with the USP-1 and an XPA-2...was ready to pull the trigger, then my wife's car needed $1400, and my sister informed me she's getting married in Mexico...so I guess my money is going elsewhere before audio purchases...again...gaaaahhhggh.

Charm Thai™
    So, I know this is meant as a criticism, but still it fits me like a glove. I always try to get as much as I can for as little expense. If I could get something [of high quality that I really needed] for nothing.....I'd jump at it.

But, still, I don't feel 'put upon' by emo. Maybe I'll change. Maybe, I'll suddenly see what has gone on and become furious that I was given something for nothing..... How dare treat me like this..... :-)

Best Regards,
    Stan
    oh no Manley it's not a criticism of you but more of a bash on Emotiva because i do not feel they deliver that "something for nothing". I think their amps are atrocious but this cd player has peaked my interest a little.

oh no Manley it's not a criticism of you but more of a bash on Emotiva because i do not feel they deliver that "something for nothing". I think their amps are atrocious but this cd player has peaked my interest a little.
    Thanks for clarifying that. This music hobby is like drugs, you've just got to have a bigger and bigger fix. I'm very pleased with my XPA-2, but who knows, I might be in your camp in a few years. I can't believe that I've gone from a boom box to separates in 3 years.....

Best Regards,
    Stan

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Hey Stan....I would not say wipe the floor. When P and I had the shoot-out we played the Rotel first. It was the RCC 1055. Then we played the ERC-1 and after the first 10 seconds we knew the ERC-1 sounded better. But let me add, the Rotel CDP is at least 10 years old. So you have to take that into account.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Suspended
    Stan, I have a USP-1 sitting on the sofa in my sound room now, waiting to be opened. I got it yesterday and have been really busy.

Shodulik, what is wrong with the Emo amps? Which one have you heard and with what other equipment? The boys here who have tried them seem to think they are alright so I'm interested in another view.

I thought the ERC-1 was significantly better than my old Denon 2560.

Talking

I've been wondering about it too...the only piece of Emo gear i would consider even bringing through my front door, the rest of their stuff bleh. They seem to be preying on people who are wanting to get something for nothing. IMO.
    Then prey on me some more!!!
    I used to be skeptical of these guys too, then I ORDERED A 125WPC amp during
    a sale.
    It arrived the next evening, getting the all time award for a fast delivery.
    Setup was easy, the trigger was a pain, but thats the receiver that I am using as a
    pre-amps fault.
    This amp drives a pair of 602 s2's effortlessly, although 4 ohm operation with a pair of AXIOM
    M80'S left a bit to be desired. Could be the speakers on that setup, tho.
    At 250 bucks, it could blow tomorrow and I WOULD HAVE MY MONEYS WORTH.
    I can see why they have developed a loyal following, Caddy on a Kia budget.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Stan, I have a USP-1 sitting on the sofa in my sound room now, waiting to be opened. I got it yesterday and have been really busy.

Mr P.,
    Cool!!! I I'll look forward to your review!!

Best Regards,
    Stan

Shodulik, what is wrong with the Emo amps? Which one have you heard and with what other equipment? The boys here who have tried them seem to think they are alright so I'm interested in another view.

I thought the ERC-1 was significantly better than my old Denon 2560.
    I am curious too, because based on your results I am going to make my decision to basically do the same thing. I might outfit a 2nd system with their gear since it's so affordable and if I think it's sub-par to my standards than I will sell it off as a complete system, but I don't think that will happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information