Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Dish Network just crapped their pants.

I was reading in the Wall Street Journal today, and a small item caught my eye. It seems that Dish just launched a HD SAT the other day, in part to catch up with DirecTV. Ooops, seems it didn't reach the right orbit due to an "error" during launch.

This means:
    1. The new HD channels Dish has been talking about are not coming out any time soon.

2. Dish engineers think they can get it into correct orbit using fuel on board. Problem is, this fuel is usually used only to "keep" a SAT in correct orbit. By using the fuel to actually move the SAT a substancial distance, they will cut the usable life of the SAT by a wide margin. If they can get it to correct orbit, it should be able to broadcast, but only until fuel runs out and it drifts away. Not good either way.

Any chance Pix was helping with the telemetry on this one. I've been amazed with his electrical engineering prowess with regards to woofers and tweeters. Perhaps he was a consultant on this launch?
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I was reading in the Wall Street Journal today, and a small item caught my eye. It seems that Dish just launched a HD SAT the other day, in part to catch up with DirecTV. Ooops, seems it didn't reach the right orbit due to an "error" during launch.

This means:
    1. The new HD channels Dish has been talking about are not coming out any time soon.

2. Dish engineers think they can get it into correct orbit using fuel on board. Problem is, this fuel is usually used only to "keep" a SAT in correct orbit. By using the fuel to actually move the SAT a substancial distance, they will cut the usable life of the SAT by a wide margin. If they can get it to correct orbit, it should be able to broadcast, but only until fuel runs out and it drifts away. Not good either way.

Any chance Pix was helping with the telemetry on this one. I've been amazed with his electrical engineering prowess with regards to woofers and tweeters. Perhaps he was a consultant on this launch?
    That's some kinda ooopsie. You'd think putting satellites into space would be "routine work" for that industry by now. Oh well. So best case scenario - the useful life of this thing is cut down substantially if things go well, and the new HD channels are on hold for awhile...or worst case scenario - the satellite is scrap metal and there's a lot of angry customers making the switch to DirectTV.

I'd hate to be working on that team today.

This means:

If Pixie had anything to do with it, he'd be saying how this new incorrect orbit is actually better than what everyone else thought was the correct orbit. If any of us had been paying attention, we would have read the memo he sent.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    That's some kinda ooopsie. You'd think putting satellites into space would be "routine work" for that industry by now. Oh well. So best case scenario - the useful life of this thing is cut down substantially if things go well, and the new HD channels are on hold for awhile...or worst case scenario - the satellite is scrap metal and there's a lot of angry customers making the switch to DirectTV.

I'd hate to be working on that team today.
    According to the WSJ last quarter DirecTV added over 450,000 new subscribers. Dish Network added over 84,000 new subscribers. Yeah, this was an ooops, I've pooped my pants kinda problem.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Man, its smells in here!!!! Whew!!!!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Man, its smells in here!!!! Whew!!!!!
    Not as bad as it does in the mission control room over at Dish. I think a collective of over 50 engineers had a mass case of poopus pantus.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Not as bad as it does in the mission control room over at Dish. I think a collective of over 50 engineers had a mass case of poopus pantus.
    Poopus Pantus??? Beefous this is hilarious...LOLOL
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I'm glass is half full kind of guy.........looks like the Navy just got another target to shoot at.........

Suspended
    Sorry, Chief, missed it by..... tha-a-a-a-at much.

Does this mean a price hike to buy a new satelite? It's hard to believe Direct added that many customers. When I checked them out they wanted me to buy the equipment opposed to no out of pocket expense for Dish.

Cool

This means:

actually this is one of KEX'S weekend projects.

They'll salvage what they can, get the bird to higher orbit and buy time until a replacement
    can be launched, probably at the expense of the insurance company.

And you can joke all you want, its actually a miracle that the failure rate is so low for these birds, they hardly ever have trouble, amazing considering they are so complex
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Sorry, Chief, missed it by..... tha-a-a-a-at much.

Does this mean a price hike to buy a new satelite? It's hard to believe Direct added that many customers. When I checked them out they wanted me to buy the equipment opposed to no out of pocket expense for Dish.
    I cant remember if we had this discussion before, or if it was someone else on the board. If you just call DirecTV and ask for a price quote of service, they give you a price including the equipment.

I think if you do a full scale "price" and do a credit check with them, they waive the equipment cost if you have good/decent credit. Of course if you ever leave DirecTV you then need to return the equipment.

I paid for my HD equipment at BB because they had a pretty good sale going on, and it lowered the price of my TV by an equal amount. So it was a wash for me. ($299 for HD recieiver, $299 credit off TV)
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Cool

I cant remember if we had this discussion before, or if it was someone else on the board. If you just call DirecTV and ask for a price quote of service, they give you a price including the equipment.

I think if you do a full scale "price" and do a credit check with them, they waive the equipment cost if you have good/decent credit. Of course if you ever leave DirecTV you then need to return the equipment.

I paid for my HD equipment at BB because they had a pretty good sale going on, and it lowered the price of my TV by an equal amount. So it was a wash for me. ($299 for HD recieiver, $299 credit off TV)
    So you got the TV for free, right?

I mean, thats how much 32in SD SANYOS are selling for right now, right?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    So you got the TV for free, right?

I mean, thats how much 32in SD SANYOS are selling for right now, right?
    No. The Pioneer 50" was quite a bit more than the cost of the HD receiver. However, the discount was appreciated.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Ha Ha Ha! Good one!

Thread Information