• 09-12-2005, 10:02 PM
    PAT.P
    Dahlquist speakers is part of Nuance
    Im shock to learn that Dahlquist (Canada) is part of Nuance ! Went to my favorite audio store and notice they were clearing all their Dahlquist speakers at below cost .When I found out that Nuance bought the Dahlquist name and product line no wonder they want to clear their store .Nuance probably wanted a better line of speaker or just wanted the Dahlquist name? Now watch the price increase .
  • 09-13-2005, 07:42 AM
    topspeed
    Not terribly surprising. This will be the third or fourth owner of the brand as the original company went under quite a while ago. The name still has brand equity, therefore it would make sense for an up and coming company like Fluance to buy it to expand into the hi-end. Car companies do it all the time; witness Maybach & Bugatti as two more recent examples.
  • 09-13-2005, 10:00 AM
    RJW1138
    Ugh, Nuance... Sadly, this is no Fluance. What a sheister of an organization that company is. Pity it had to be them to pick up Dahlquist.
  • 09-13-2005, 10:16 AM
    PAT.P
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RJW1138
    Ugh, Nuance... Sadly, this is no Fluance. What a sheister of an organization that company is. Pity it had to be them to pick up Dahlquist.

I only wonder if they will sell Dahlquist at a price pitch as their Nuance .I own a few Dahlquist and the store I was bying them dont want to be a part of Nuance .They are clearing them at below cost .I was able to pick up yesterday a centre channel (display) reg $600+ for $229 Canadian .Would of rather Energy or Harman /Kardon group to take it over.
  • 09-06-2006, 06:27 PM
    dzine
    sorry all...but Dahlquist has NEVER been a part of Nuance. Unfortunately the Dahlquist product was temporarily manufactured by the brother of the Nuance guy...in the same factory but with seasoned Dahlquist people//NOT Nuance people.
    The temporary owner of the DQ brand name also manufactured Nuance..different folks believe me!
    Dahlquist will rise again on it's own . The new models were shown last year in Las Vegas to nice accolades.Please don't say Dahlquist in the same sentence as Nuance! I feel sick.
  • 09-06-2006, 07:40 PM
    PAT.P
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dzine
    sorry all...but Dahlquist has NEVER been a part of Nuance. Unfortunately the Dahlquist product was temporarily manufactured by the brother of the Nuance guy...in the same factory but with seasoned Dahlquist people//NOT Nuance people.
    The temporary owner of the DQ brand name also manufactured Nuance..different folks believe me!
    Dahlquist will rise again on it's own . The new models were shown last year in Las Vegas to nice accolades.Please don't say Dahlquist in the same sentence as Nuance! I feel sick.

Who told you this?Try to give info please.I was told by a past dealer of dahlquist that Nuance rep was trying to tell them how they should sell the speaker in their store.:16:
  • 09-07-2006, 05:08 AM
    emaidel
    This is all very interesting. I'll have to wait until the dust settles to see whether Nuance does, or doesn't own Dahlquist.

If Nuance does indeed own Dahlquist, this certainly wouldn't be the first time a less than reputable company purchased one far more respected and admired. I worked for ESS in the early 80's, and learned quickly why so many dealers hated the company. When the chairman of the board of the company states categorically, "All the dealers out there are out to screw me, so I'm going to screw them first!" you know you're in trouble if you're working for him!

ESS purchased a long-admired company that had fallen on hard times in its past - Dynaco. Rather than manufacture products that Dynaco had been famous for (inexpensive, but great sounding pre-amps, tuners and amps) ESS made speakers under the Dynaco name and then so thorougly blindsided those hired to run Dynaco that electronics never materialized. And so, Dynaco was relegated to oblivion. That is, until a company called "Panor" in New York resurrected it, but then that company's Vice president thorougly alienated all who dealt with him, and, as far as I know, nothing has surfaced since under the "Dynaco" nameplate.

ESS also purchased the rights to build the Gale Loudspeaker. The original Gale Loudspeaker was quite something, but after having met Ira Gale himself, I seriously doubted he actually designed the speaker himself, as he was unable to provide ESS engineers the values of certain capacitors in the speaker's crossover network. The ESS-manufactured Gale Loudspeakers were a pale imitation of the original, both in terms of workmanship and sound. In this case, each got what the other deserved.

I'll be waiting to see just who does, or doesn't, own Dahlquist.
  • 09-07-2006, 07:09 AM
    dzine
    guys...believe me I know.....the Dahlquist name is currently owned by one Robert Baker....the brother of George Baker (Nuance) They have one thing in common..fraternity.
    George is Nuance and his products were built by his brother Robert in a company named Only Components..There the thread ends. Robert closed shop recently..but George continues...and likely ate up the Dahlquist inventory at a price.Accept that I know and believe me I want to see Dahlqist survive some how. It is up in the air ...for the moment
  • 12-09-2006, 11:59 AM
    dzine
    Pat B sorry for the delay in responding. The reason I know this is simply because I have been the exclusive designer of all things Dahlquist for the past 17 years.. I joined just after Carl Marchissoto left to start Alon. I was contracted by Mike Russo (the owner who bought the company from Jon Dahlquist). Jon had a very nasty accident as you might know way back. So I have watched the name go through different hands,...and now it's ..well....suspended?...
  • 03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
    Tonehenge
    George Baker...brings a chuckle always...
    Baker is one of the great and colourful hucksters in the consumer audio trade. From his days with Cerwin Vega, to Sound Dynamics, to API, to Nuisance and Dahlquist Canada and whatever he ends up with next (Streem Speakers just SMELL of George), he has taken the same patented George Baker schtick (with minor modifications) to every product he sells. He really doesn't know **** from shinola, but his showbiz is fun to watch. He's like a turn of the century snakeoil salesman. You really begin to believe his speakers will get you laid! How do I know all this? A long time ago, I worked for him.............
  • 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
    servant386
    I am new to audioland and I was wondering ......Are the Nuance speakers really that bad . There are some great reviews from supposed owners of the 938`s or the sv-10s ?
  • 03-27-2007, 09:41 AM
    basite
    wasn't nuance a scam? take standard enclosures (made in a country far far away, by 2 underpayed workers in a forest) and then refinished them to make them look more 'high end' they also use standard (rat-shack) drivers? I think so...

It's a shame that dalquist had to end up like this...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM
    I would still keep a safe distance from Dahlquist. That relationship with Nuance, whatever it is, is a bad omen. For one thing, the resale value on DQ is going to plummet. Nuance has had countless lawsuits and investigations since 2003. That Robert Baker is only the brother of George Baker is nothing to feel comfortable about - my guess is that RB knew about these problems and then still allowed his speakers to be manufactured in the same company. This was not a responsible business decision.

If you plan to resell your DQ speakers in the future, then that would not be a reason to buy them now, even at such attractive discounts. If, on the other hand, you plan to own them forever, then it may be worth it (if you can live with the lack of future service on them).
  • 04-07-2007, 02:31 PM
    MikeyBC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    wasn't nuance a scam? take standard enclosures (made in a country far far away, by 2 underpayed workers in a forest) and then refinished them to make them look more 'high end' they also use standard (rat-shack) drivers? I think so...

It's a shame that dalquist had to end up like this...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

They were the guys who sat you down, turned the speakers facing towards the wall and forced you to listen to Q-sound discs while the nuance "rep" who was always there ranted about how amazing their imaging is...but don't you dare try to play one of your own discs,.it was a real joke and technically a scam...but i do believe the nuances were not half bad for the cheap prices they were selling them for, even though they quoted you laughably high list prices...you alway got them cheap. They were better than white van speakers. well a wee bit better. And they were made in Canada....the enclosure was the best part of the speaker. and even though most had dual binding posts the manuals specifically warned not to bi-amp...only bi-wire, so basicly they were just for show.