Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Circuit City To Sell Lp's

SOURCE

Stereomojo Exclusive News!

We have it on solid authority that CIRCUIT CITY will begin stocking LPs in their stores nationwide. LPs have been available on their website for some time, but this development has huge implications in the audiophile world. Vinyl is exploding worldwide. Virtually every LP vendor (Music Direct, Classic Records, etc) reports higher sales than ever. Almost every major music company either is now producing LPs of their newest releases or has plans to do so. Stay tuned!
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    SOURCE

We have it on solid authority that CIRCUIT CITY will begin stocking LPs in their stores nationwide. LPs have been available on their website for some time, but this development has huge implications in the audiophile world. Vinyl is exploding worldwide. Virtually every LP vendor (Music Direct, Classic Records, etc) reports higher sales than ever. Almost every major music company either is now producing LPs of their newest releases or has plans to do so. Stay tuned!
    Welcome to 1977! That's far out man.

LP returns!

I still have my old turn table. I've got a lot of dusting to do.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

As it turns out Ford and Chevy are going to start putting covered wagons into production too!

Suspended
    Now that's motivation for me to fix a broken speaker in my 2-channel retro setup.

I bet the guys in the Analog Room wouldn't act like this.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I bet the guys in the Analog Room wouldn't act like this.
    I am actually considering getting into analogue, esp. since I have quite a few records already. However, that is not why I am making silly comments, it's because it just seems so odd that CC would do this after so much time has passed. It certainly shows the vitality though of Vinyl and it will be interesting to see where it goes....all I iknow is ...sign me up for the TT that can go in my car system.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I am actually considering getting into analogue, esp. since I have quite a few records already. However, that is not why I am making silly comments, it's because it just seems so odd that CC would do this after so much time has passed. It certainly shows the vitality though of Vinyl and it will be interesting to see where it goes....all I iknow is ...sign me up for the TT that can go in my car system.
    Somebody posted one of those awhile back. It had carts above and below so that you could play both sides without flipping the record. But then CD's came out and it died.

I am actually considering getting into analogue, esp. since I have quite a few records already.
    Since you already have the vinyl and if you have the means, my recommendation is to do it. I got back into vinyl a while back and haven't listened to anything but analogue since. Digital just doesn't have the ambiance and spatiality that is reproduced from my LPs.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Since you already have the vinyl and if you have the means, my recommendation is to do it. I got back into vinyl a while back and haven't listened to anything but analogue since. Digital just doesn't have the ambiance and spatiality that is reproduced from my LPs.
    I will, just a matter of when. I want to dive in with full force, not just getting something that will work, but rather something really awesome and something that can be modified to be an elite TT.

I will, just a matter of when. I want to dive in with full force, not just getting something that will work, but rather something really awesome and something that can be modified to be an elite TT.
    How the hell ya rackin your post count up so fast!!! GO PS GO
    I guess all those years of playin your axe has paid off on the wear and tear of your finger tips during this sprint.

Anywho, I would rather be driving a Honda while I save up for Mazerati than not driving at all.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Mutant from table 9
    all I iknow is ...sign me up for the TT that can go in my car system.

Do you mean this one?: http://ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

I'll believe it when I see it. And I'd be curious as to whether Circuit City intends to add any turntables and analog accessories to their product selection. Aside from the occasional low end DJ deck, I haven't seen a turntable inside a Circuit City store since probably when Bush 41 was still in office.

While I would consider this welcome news (since Classic Records' LPs are not easy to find, even in those independent stores that make an effort to stock vinyl), I don't see it as any sign of a vinyl rennaissance. Virtually all of the new LPs out there nowadays are more expensive than the CD versions, and in many cases pushing past the $30 price point. If anything, vinyl has completed its transition into an expensive niche product. That's why it surprises me that a mass market player like Circuit City would embrace vinyl, since their support for vinyl was lousy even when the LP was still a viable mass market format and they've never been known for supporting niche formats.

But, there very well might be a market opportunity here, since not a whole lot of national chains stock new LPs. (Tower Records' demise has left a huge hole in the music retailing market)
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

nightflier
    Is this before or after they fire the remaining knowledgeable sales reps? I wonder if their pimple-faced lowest-wage teenagers will know how to even use an LP. That is, before CC is completely bankrupt.

Sorry for the doom & gloom post, but my local CC has had a single record player on sale for as long as I can remember (a cheap Sony, I think), and it has more dust on it than their computer software. CC is really barking up the wrong tree with this. Granted, I applaud any decision that has the potential of growing the LP market, but I just don't see the low-end as being the right fit. I'm with Wooch on this one (hey, I think that's the first time we are in agreement on something from our first posts, LOL).

Oh, puke

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    SOURCE

Vinyl? To all audiophiles I say, GET OVER IT.

If 'philes had given support to SACD that they have continued to lavish on LPs, we'd have equal or better sound and multi-channel to boot. But no, no ... common sense didn't prevail. So what's new, eh?

I dont wanna get into this with your Feanor, but do you think you've truly explored the world of Analog?

Com'on dude. Don't tell me your old Sansui or whatever had the ultimate phono stage 25 years ago...

I say bring it on. They'll be seeing me there,a s long as they go good a collection.

btw, I'm no audiophile, so I guess that was never directed to me.
    JRA

I'd be more enthused if I didn't know the awful mastering & engineering practices that ruined CD were not already being applied to new vinyl on most releases. On top of that 9/10ths are DDD recordings, whats the point? Show me a modern rock band that records AAA and I'll be 1st in line to buy their wax. But I must admit LPs do have the best artwork.

Classical music, which has had 2 good decades of NOT F'ing things up on CD sounds so-much better than any classical vinyl could ever hope to be, I'm never going back! You can have your TT hiss, poorer channel seperation and less dynamic range. Penderecki demands digital!

Vinyl Fans Only

For those of you who wish to discuss vinyl and its applied technology please drop by here and sign up. Vinyl Fanatics
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Yep. On the roads of Pennsylvania that sucker would have more scratchin' action than at a Beastie Boys show.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Vinyl? To all audiophiles I say, GET OVER IT.

If 'philes had given support to SACD that they have continued to lavish on LPs, we'd have equal or better sound and multi-channel to boot. But no, no ... common sense didn't prevail. So what's new, eh?
    Wow Feanor. I agree with you, but it's not like you to be so rough. Is vinyl a sore spot?

Not really "sore"

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Wow Feanor. I agree with you, but it's not like you to be so rough. Is vinyl a sore spot?
    But it's a weary topic for me.

I can help thinking that sort of shopper who will frequent Circuit City isn't likely to have the sort of high-end rig that you need to adequately appreciate the virtues of vinyl. These shoppers are being sold the vinyl mystique, not the substance, (such as it is): suckers, in other words.

Also, it irks me that CC, et al, won't carry any real inventory of SACD, yet they're getting into vinyl. It's fundamentally ridiculous.

actually, "hip" music vendors have been selling crappy PLASTIC singles of certain artists... its like CD, just worse quality.. (i wonder if the new stuff will still have that "vinyl" sound?)

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    But it's a weary topic for me.

I can help thinking that sort of shopper who will frequent Circuit City isn't likely to have the sort of high-end rig that you need to adequately appreciate the virtues of vinyl. These shoppers are being sold the vinyl mystique, not the substance, (such as it is): suckers, in other words.

Also, it irks me that CC, et al, won't carry any real inventory of SACD, yet they're getting into vinyl. It's fundamentally ridiculous.
    Does anyone actually frequent CC? lol.

Does anyone actually frequent CC? lol.
    Well, I'll admit to popping into my local CC store every now and then. Occasionally, CC will get a hold of a decent bonus DVD exclusive like the Apocalypse Now: Complete Dossier edition where the copies sold at CC included an extra DVD with extended scenes from Redux, additional commentary, and the Kurtz compound destruction scene. And sometimes, they'll have the lowest release date pricing. If I decide to buy a release there, I'll also browse the other sections just to see what's going on in their stores (like it or not, they are still a major player in electronics retailing).

Other times, I'll go there simply because they have something in stock that I can't find elsewhere (the in-store pickup from their website works great and they'll throw in a $24 gift card if they can't process an online order within 24 minutes). But, among the electronics stores in my area, I hit up CC the least often, although if they indeed start stocking vinyl, I'll definitely drop by more often.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information