Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool Another sign of CD decline

    The JVC plant in my town(CD and DVD) is laying off ten percent of its workforce, citing
    declining demand for C.D's.
    When this plant opened it was a TAPE and .C.D plant, if this keeps up it will soon be a
    nothing plant. They also make DVD, btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  2. #2
    _ Luvin Da Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    _
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    ....., if this keeps up it will soon be a
    nothing plant. They also make DVD, btw.

    Maybe a chop stick factory.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Maybe a chop stick factory.
    Wont work, if North Korea keeps showing out, a lot of buildings will be turned into chopsticks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  4. #4
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    The JVC plant in my town(CD and DVD) is laying off ten percent of its workforce, citing
    declining demand for C.D's.
    When this plant opened it was a TAPE and .C.D plant, if this keeps up it will soon be a
    nothing plant. They also make DVD, btw.
    And did you ever think for a second that maybe they are just going to mfg the CD's and DVD's somewhere without union labor rates and demands? hmmm NAFTAfarian countries.

    Why are they not making Blu's?

  5. #5
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    And did you ever think for a second that maybe they are just going to mfg the CD's and DVD's somewhere without union labor rates and demands? hmmm NAFTAfarian countries.

    Why are they not making Blu's?
    That was going to be my question. Why are they not making blue ray disks and possibly some blank media disks for computer use since a lot of people still use them.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  6. #6
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    That was going to be my question. Why are they not making blue ray disks and possibly some blank media disks for computer use since a lot of people still use them.
    See my first question. Cheaper to make them elsewhere.

    Americans can't afford to buy American Made goods. That's why Wall Mart is what they are.

  7. #7
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    The JVC plant in my town(CD and DVD) is laying off ten percent of its workforce, citing
    declining demand for C.D's.
    When this plant opened it was a TAPE and .C.D plant, if this keeps up it will soon be a
    nothing plant. They also make DVD, btw.
    What a naive person you are, Pix. Capitalism, the salvation of America, you say, and yet, as others have pointed out, it's the capitalist who is moving the production off-shore.

    In the '80s Reagan instituted "trickle down" economics, or as I call it, "Bribe the rich". Tax cuts are the answer ... now what was the question? The only thing that has tricked down since then has been the prosperity of middle class and working people.

    I chuckle every time I hear that Americans still trust Republicans to be the more fiscally responsible party. This despite all the evidence of the last generation -- deficit up during Republican government, down during Democrat. Remember, it was Dick Cheney who said, "Deficits don't matter", and he obviously believed that.
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-03-2010 at 05:45 AM.

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    928
    I'm sorry to hear about the JVC layoffs. Ten percent is a pretty hard hit. Being a CD only

    plant was probably the largest factor. However it's been a pretty good year for Sony.

    We received our monthly production totals in our newsletter today.

    Overall units shipped in November was the highest ever at 130 million.

    We replicated an average of over 1.2 million BDs/day in the 3rd and 4th weeks.

    DVDs had a record month with over 55 million shipped.

    CDs also had a record month with over 11 million units shipped.

    There were 20 major albums released between Nov 15th and 30th alone.

    Movie titles such as The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, Inception, and Fantasia were big

    contributors with over 14.3 million units for Eclipse alone.

    I'm not saying we haven't had our fair share of woes in the past, but this year has been

    the best I've seen in some time.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    I'm sorry to hear about the JVC layoffs. Ten percent is a pretty hard hit. Being a CD only

    plant was probably the largest factor. However it's been a pretty good year for Sony.

    We received our monthly production totals in our newsletter today.

    Overall units shipped in November was the highest ever at 130 million.

    We replicated an average of over 1.2 million BDs/day in the 3rd and 4th weeks.

    DVDs had a record month with over 55 million shipped.

    CDs also had a record month with over 11 million units shipped.

    There were 20 major albums released between Nov 15th and 30th alone.

    Movie titles such as The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, Inception, and Fantasia were big

    contributors with over 14.3 million units for Eclipse alone.

    I'm not saying we haven't had our fair share of woes in the past, but this year has been

    the best I've seen in some time.
    THEY ALSO make DVD. BLU would require intensive investment, won't happen.
    And don't think that offshore competition is the reason for the layoffs, its declining
    CD sales as a whole that is causing it. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact of life.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  10. #10
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    928
    Earlier this year we had moved DVD production from out Pitman plant and made them CD only and stopped CD production in Indiana. However because of demand CD production in Indiana restarted. It's probably due to shifting in replicator choice. Our productions costs are very low due to high efficiency.

    Since I perform CD/DVD copy-protection, I work with many replicators throughout the US and SA (Technicolor, JVC America, Sonopress, Videolar, Cinram...). At the beginning of the year many experienced layoffs, including Sony. I'm sure some of the replicator shift is due to Sony's Blu-ray production and studios wanting to go with one replicator for CD/DVD/Blu-ray to reduce costs.

    There's definitely a decline in CD production and I'm certain DVD will follow eventually. The trick will be staying ahead of the game. We've already started digitally reformatting media for streaming and have picked up media from many smaller companies who want to do the same.

  11. #11
    Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    640
    You guys should see the CD market in Japan, it's still booming. The Tower Records in Tokyo is 7 stories I think. The Osaka Tower Records is 2 stories. HMV stores are pretty big as well. A lot of American artists release CD's in Japan with bonus tracks as well. I've also noticed some of the songs have slightly different mixes too.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

  12. #12
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Its the frog slowly boiling in a pot of water.
    This is a major university town and we have one major record store...one!
    USED to have two alone on the "strip", now we have one that survives on tradition,
    special orders, and being the one place where you can find a CD.
    A lot that do buy CD's buy em online.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  13. #13
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    VB VA
    Posts
    2,307
    Pix

    Since you they dont's cite the reasons for the declining demand I would not jump to the conclusion it has to do with CD's as a format though that may be a factor. This economy is still struggling and all business are trimmimg their workforces. The troubling aspect in all of this is that companies are trimming workers and increasing their productivity often times because of increased work requirements of their existing workforce or through technology. With no incentive to hire people back it looks like this high unemployment rate will be here for sometime.

  14. #14
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    BFalls is right, the studios are definitely moving towards having a single replicator for their DVD and Blurays. There is definitely a decline in DVD orders, as demonstrated by the layoffs at Cineram and JVC which used to do a nice slice of the DVD stamping.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  15. #15
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Pix

    Since you they dont's cite the reasons for the declining demand I would not jump to the conclusion it has to do with CD's as a format though that may be a factor. This economy is still struggling and all business are trimmimg their workforces. The troubling aspect in all of this is that companies are trimming workers and increasing their productivity often times because of increased work requirements of their existing workforce or through technology. With no incentive to hire people back it looks like this high unemployment rate will be here for sometime.
    the reasons are simple...downloading over the net.
    The net is the most amazing invention since the printing press, and just as significant.
    BOOKS used to be rare, hard to make, with the printing press, reading increased, so did knowledge.
    Now you can post a CD online, and in an hour there could be millions of copies, billions. SAME with video, books, etc.
    When Ken C. Pohlman wrote several years ago that this was going to happen, I
    thought he was being rather extreme. But happen it has.
    THANK GOD for collectors and those with little or no net, but you can't stop the future.
    There will always be a reason for hard copies, but in these hard times this is a good excuse to streamline things.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  16. #16
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    the reasons are simple...downloading over the net.
    And inexpensive copies available on the used market. I've purchased quite a few CDs from Amazon ranging between $5 and $8 that work fine - even if the case might have a scratch or two. People are still buying music - just taking advantage of market opportunities.

    rw

  17. #17
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    BFalls is right, the studios are definitely moving towards having a single replicator for their DVD and Blurays. There is definitely a decline in DVD orders, as demonstrated by the layoffs at Cineram and JVC which used to do a nice slice of the DVD stamping.
    Sounds about right. And where would that single source be located? Not in Unionville USA.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •