Cool Adios, Circuit City

The management of Circuit city has finally thrown in the towel, they will allow
    Blockbuster to buy them out in a hostile takeover.
    I suppose they will call the new company circuit buster
    THE IDEA IS TO MERGE THE TWO CHAINS , WITH a mix of rentals and retail
    in all.
    Circuit could find no one else who would make a bid for the troubled company.
    As for blockbuster, they are getting their butt kicked by netflix and vod.
    LET ME MAKE A PREDICTION, these two will merge, the resulting stores will be a mess,
    and the whole thing will sink faster than the Titanic.
    And both will be gone, especially in todays slow market
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    LET ME MAKE A PREDICTION...

Cool

[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    2 responses, no words.

Shows how much people think about Circuit City...

I like this idea - think of the time you'll save next time you need to buy a new air conditioner, dish washer, wireless router, and rent a movie.

What about Canada, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    2 responses, no words.

Shows how much people think about Circuit City...

I like this idea - think of the time you'll save next time you need to buy a new air conditioner, dish washer, wireless router, and rent a movie.
    Circuit City has no full-sized stores here to my knowledge, but they do own The Source. Anyone care to speculate?

Some will know that The Source shops used to operate up here under the Radio Shack banner though they weren't owned by RS, however RS pulled the plug on that arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Circuit City has no full-sized stores here to my knowledge, but they do own The Source. Anyone care to speculate?

Some will know that The Source shops used to operate up here under the Radio Shack banner though they weren't owned by RS, however RS pulled the plug on that arrangement.

Yeah, I don't think they will be expanding into Canada. We HAD futureshop, which was all fine and dandy, then Best Buy bought them out. At least they kept the futureshop stores. But a disturbing trend I've seen is that BB is just building new stores right next to the old FS stores. So essentially they're becoming their own competition. Sometimes one of the stores will have a lower price on something, so you get to comparison shop from the same company.

I cannot EVER shop at a best buy, why? Because they designed the store to funnel you past all the shiny expensive gadgets on your way to find something. Nothing is where it's supposed to be. Aisles that curve? I don't think so. I'll stick with FS thank you very much. Nicely laid out, easy to find crap, and the employees aren't THAT bad...

Oh, and it's really, REALLY funny to watch the employees trick unknowing customers into buying insanely marked up monster cables for their simple hometheatre. CMON, you're buying an $800 TV and hooking it up with $120 cables... wow.

Oh, and as a teenager, I get no help at all. I went in asking where the optical audio cables were, guy pointed to the cable section and said "go over, I'll be there in a minute" and proceded to flirt with the cute sales girl he was working with.

And that's the end of my rant for today.

Oh, and to actually get to what feanor was saying, Radio Shack in canada wasn't too different from the US, except that it completely changed from the corner store with all the electronic parts for DIY projects to something of a mini circuit city with exorbitantly high prices.

Angry You said it all, Dude

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude

Oh, and as a teenager, I get no help at all. I went in asking where the optical audio cables were, guy pointed to the cable section and said "go over, I'll be there in a minute" and proceded to flirt with the cute sales girl he was working with.

Oh, and to actually get to what feanor was saying, Radio Shack in canada wasn't too different from the US, except that it completely changed from the corner store with all the electronic parts for DIY projects to something of a mini circuit city with exorbitantly high prices.
    But it's not just teenagers they treat that way -- believe it.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Yup. Happens over socio-economic perception too.

Cool

Yeah, I don't think they will be expanding into Canada. We HAD futureshop, which was all fine and dandy, then Best Buy bought them out. At least they kept the futureshop stores. But a disturbing trend I've seen is that BB is just building new stores right next to the old FS stores. So essentially they're becoming their own competition. Sometimes one of the stores will have a lower price on something, so you get to comparison shop from the same company.

I cannot EVER shop at a best buy, why? Because they designed the store to funnel you past all the shiny expensive gadgets on your way to find something. Nothing is where it's supposed to be. Aisles that curve? I don't think so. I'll stick with FS thank you very much. Nicely laid out, easy to find crap, and the employees aren't THAT bad...

Oh, and it's really, REALLY funny to watch the employees trick unknowing customers into buying insanely marked up monster cables for their simple hometheatre. CMON, you're buying an $800 TV and hooking it up with $120 cables... wow.

Our "shacks" still have the parts in the back, even tho the people who work there know absolutely nothing about it.
    All they know about is selling you a cell fone
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Our "shacks" still have the parts in the back, even tho the people who work there know absolutely nothing about it.
    All they know about is selling you a cell fone

True that.
    They have a gimped section at the back of our "the source" stores as well. Damned if the people there will help me find the capacitor I'm looking for!

nightflier
    Well, I'm not so sure it's a bad marriage from a business standpoint. Instead of having people buy a movie to go with that new TV now they'll be able to rent one and in so doing become a "return customer" when they come in to return the rental. If marketed well, this could work out better. Hmmmm, maybe Netflix is eyeing BB?

What is more disturbing is that all these companies that used to compete on price, selection, and service are all consolidating (or dying out). This means less competition on price, selection and service. Pretty soon, if Mega-everything-mart doesn't sell a particular product, there won't be any place to get it. We can only hope that the online world stays reasonably competitive. Ironically it's the online world that kicked CC's arse in the first place, much like Netflix was kicking Blockbusters'.

Thread Information