Cool “Super Hi-Vision” next-gen TV in Japan.

Welcome to the future

NHK of Japan has demoed some “Super Hi-Vision” TV running at 7680 x 4320 — 16 times the resolution of HD 1080i. The demo involved a live feed from a couple of custom built cameras based around 8 megapixel CCDs, with their 24Gbps signal being chopped into 16 HD signals and sent 161 miles over a fiber optic network to the the demo site at the 2005 World Exposition in Aichi Japan.

The gooder news is that this isn’t even out of the labs yet, so that brand spanking new HDTV of yours won’t be going out of style anytime soon.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=173402762
    Last edited by Smokey; 11-09-2005 at 07:49 AM.

Forum Regular
    7680x4320? Jesus man, that is hard to imagine. What is the maximum resolution a healthy human eye is capable of perceiving? Is that possible to measure?

Quote Originally Posted by snodog
    7680x4320? Jesus man, that is hard to imagine. What is the maximum resolution a healthy human eye is capable of perceiving?
    I really don't have any idea. If we consider eye as an analog device, the answer might be indefinite.

But I am assuming same as with magapixel capability of digital cameras, the smaller print (or in this case smaller monitors), less obvious the higher resolution.

Just a few more pixels

The human eye has roughly 125,000,000 rods and cones. Assuming all of them contribute and arbitrarily making the retina a square array; that would then equal 11,180 by 11,180. (We have two eyes, does the brain interpolate, i.e. do we see at 22,000 by 22,000?)

So the new display could be at the limit of human vison if it occupied somewhere around 60% of a single eye field of view.

Once these come out, will holograms be far behind?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    So then if a human eye was looking at a screen at the maximum possible resolution matched to the perceivable vision of the eye itself then that would be the highest possible resolution capable for a human to see. I wonder though if it would at some point become distorted or discolored at such high resolutions. I agree, lets skip the damn HighDef and go right to the holograms!

Thread Information