AR Newbie Registered Member

Are you still buying high-end DVD players?

I have a Panasonic RP91N DVD player that still outperforms most dvd players on the market in the $200 range. I bought the 91N years ago for almost $1000. Now panasonic doens't even make higher-end line anymore. I talked to their representative, they say even the new Panasonic S97s whcih cost just agbout $200 will be better than my 91N.

I don't know about that. Most $200 level dvd player i tested doesn't have good color and usually is shaking/flashing on challenging scene. However because the 91N no longer is sufficienet to decode things like divx and etc. I 'm actually thinking of upgrade to some better DVD.

ANy one still paying hundreds of dollar for decent DVD player those days? Denon? Sony ES? Mctintosh?despite most people just buy something in the $30-$70 range?

My test is most upconverting is useless. And i'm not too hype about blue ray nor HD DVD because they won't be the standard for a while. Meanwhile i think the current mature technology on DVD player is already great enough.

any opinions?

You may want to consider the Oppo 981. This is the best budget DVD player on the market. The last generation Oppo 971 was the highest rated budget DVD in 2006.

Ratings: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

As for high-end DVD players, my current pick would be the Denon DVD-2930CI. Review: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...dvd2930ci.html

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    You may want to consider the Oppo 981. This is the best budget DVD player on the market. The last generation Oppo 971 was the highest rated budget DVD in 2006.

As for high-end DVD players, my current pick would be the Denon DVD-2930CI. Review: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/homet...dvd2930ci.html

i'm not too conveinced about the oppo. as all the reviews are from some non-mainstream websites and none of the large media has talked about it. i think it is a manipulation of the manufactory themselves. also we don't have even the chance to test an oppo out. so i rather stick with higher end brands like denon, marantz, mcintosh, etc. any oppo user want to talk about your oppo if you have some comparions?

Well what is it that you are looking for, the name plate or contiuned service of the current technology. Just as the panny people told you what cost 1k 9 years ago is in every $100-150 player now days. So its all about what you really want to spend on a new player.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

i feel the panny is dropping out of the line as i tested their s97 with 91n, the old one is still better.

I see the oppo dv-981HD plays sacd's and dvd-a's...
    how is the quality?
    I'm interested, but would like some more info on it...lol
    how would it compare to a marantz all in one...lol
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Suspended
    I've owned Sony, Denon, JVC & LG DVD players. The Denon was $499.00 new but it played DVD-A which could account for some of the cost. My Sony's were all under $300.00 and would be my preference out of them all. This was my first LG, it works great and has some nice features but I do not like the picture. It's clear and sharp but the colors look off to me. The LG color reminds me of one of those $30.00 units I stuck in my kids room. The has has worked great now for almost 5 years. Many may like it because it did remind me of watching film. I like a bright picture and enjoy the Sony's crisp vivid picture quality.

Now back in the early days of DVD Marantz had a player that kicked some butt. I haven't seen any of their newer models but would assume their quality is still there.

The reviews on the oppo 981 and earlier models look very good. If you don't like it, you can have it modified at www.referenceaudiomods.com or Underwood HiFi. You can even buy a new modded unit from RAM. I'm not so sure that I would drop alot of money on a high end DVD player right now with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD right around the corner and the prices dropping on 1080P TV's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed

That Panasonic player is a classic, and I would not recommend replacing it for DVD use with a more current player. I own the Denon DVD-1600 (based on the RP91) and I have had a hard time finding better in the marketplace. My guess is your current player will hold up nicely until you decide to make the jump to either Blu-ray or HD DVD later on.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Often the main reason for a high end player is the audio side,not so much the video.I recently had an Arcam dv137 in for a few days and it is a very impressive player.The audio performance is outstanding,movie soundtracks and sacd in particular were fabulous.Cd playback was better than any dvd player that i have heard,but not up to that of a good cd playback such as my Arcam cd73t.Video performance was solid and clean but not outstanding.,very good however.If you are in the market for a high end player,it is one to look at at.Make sure you have a system remote because the supplied one is terrible.

bill

mcintosh sure is high end, but do you want to spend 3k on a dvd player?

the denon series give pretty good sound and image, a denon DVD-1930CI is a good one, the DVD-2930CI is a better one...

check them out.

Greetings,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    The 91 has the best Panasonic MPEG decoder. I myself picked up a Panasonic CP72 and had it modified with SDI. I get the best MPEG decoder and use my iScan HD+ for the de-interlacing chores, and I get the other bonus of the HD+ features like vertical stretch to work with my constant height setup.

Other good dvd players would be the Yamaha C920 or CX1. Have one of those SDI modified and you get the best MPEG decoder and Burr Brown DAC's for your audio ...of course you need an iScan Ultra, or HD/HD+ to get your de-interlacing AND scaling done right.

Panasonic RP-82, CP-72, XP-30 and XP-50 are also nice. RP-82's and the above Yamaha's can develope bad spindle motors though, but they can be repaired fairly cheaply yourself or you can find somebody on the net to do the repair for you.

thanks

thanks for all the inputs. yes the RP91 is really classic.

i spent the whole weekend testing every single player from best buy. they all sucks. why? because they are using some of the cheapest components inside, poor circuitary. for example.

i guess people say no difference on the $100-$200 DVD player in term of video is because they don't have good TV. i see an obvious difference as those player has a flashy, shaking video output to start with. circuitary is a main reason.

i 've decided to go with denon 5900 series now. i don't care audio, as i have an audioanalog pagnini cd player and i think that will be with me for years to come. but video out put, once put 40 inches and above, is too noticeable.

i tested oppo too. definitely a great player for the money, but it can't match the high end yet.

Quote Originally Posted by xper168
    i tested oppo too. definitely a great player for the money, but it can't match the high end yet.
    which oppo did you test, and did it beat out all others in the ~$200 range...
    how much are the high end models you state this oppo can not compete with...
    reason I ask, I will be getting a new dvd player whenever I decide on a projector or tv...
    thanks,
    Mike
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by xper168
    thanks for all the inputs. yes the RP91 is really classic.

i spent the whole weekend testing every single player from best buy. they all sucks. why? because they are using some of the cheapest components inside, poor circuitary. for example.

i guess people say no difference on the $100-$200 DVD player in term of video is because they don't have good TV. i see an obvious difference as those player has a flashy, shaking video output to start with. circuitary is a main reason.

i 've decided to go with denon 5900 series now. i don't care audio, as i have an audioanalog pagnini cd player and i think that will be with me for years to come. but video out put, once put 40 inches and above, is too noticeable.

I'm glad you made a choice you will be happy with, but doing your testing at BB only cuts out a lot of other players. The last time I brought a piece of gear from BB was over 10 years ago. my first DVD play Pioneer Dv 525

IMHO if you knew what you wanted (spec's) then you should have look everywhere for the same level of performace. And not just used BB as the only testing location, unless that was the only place in your area that carrys any HT gear worth looking at. And if you where able to know what you really wanted why didn't you go online and shop for a player. Just about all of my gear listed below was purchased online (expect TV and VCR) due that I knew BB/CC did not carry the items and the local highend shop price themselves out of the market for me. So to get upset with what BB carries and down grade the players they offer is a bit unfair, keep in mind stores like BB/CC cater to the avarage joe who really does not know much more than what they see in the TV ads. When progressive scan came out everybody and their mother was buying DVD players with this new technology. But what was failed to be told was that they needed a TV that supported the technology. You think any of the sales people told any of those people that fact. NOPE. And people went home thinking that their picture was better looking and not really knowing that it was the same picture as before.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Mitsubishi VCR HS U746
    does this have svid out?
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Yes both in and out
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

What exactly does the divx functionality provide me with?

I have a Pioneer DV 233S which is a basic DVD recorder
    I don't want to buy an HD-DVD player yet - but just curious about this feature

Thanks

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    It's just a codec. If you burn your own DVD's, and you use that codec, then you need that decoder in your DVD player, I don't think any commercial DVD's use that codec (I could be wrong about that, though -- anyone who knows feel free to correct me).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

TrueNorth Strong and Free
    THE SHOOTOUT

This page is big and may load slowly
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all
    $200 machines that are rated higher than $3500 machines..

For myself I will not spend big bucks for any DVD PLAYER that will become obsolete in 6 months..
    There is just too many new technologies waiting to happen..
    THIS IS WHAT I USE TO OWN
    I GAVE IT ALL AWAY TO MY SON :-(

Onkyo TX-NR-1000 [All 7 channels driven]
    MAINS = 2 Athena Technologies S3
    CENTER = 1 Athena Technologies C1
    2 SUBS = Athena Technologies P3
    4 SURROUNDS =4 Athena Technologies S2
    SONY TV = Bravia KDL-52XBR3
    DVD PLAYER = Oppo DV-981HD
    PHONES = SENNHEISER HD-650

Thread Information