KC6HBA

Help with DVD player/recorder purchase

Any suggestions for a decent DVD player/recorder for around $200.00 ? I've been looking at the Samsung DVD-R135 Hi-Def Conversion DVD Recorder for $179.00, but I don't know much about Samsung products, other than they are cheap. I would prefer Onkyo (since some of my other stuff is) but I'm not tied to that. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by tdst; 05-10-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    "If it's too loud, you're too old!"...Homer Jenkins

I need a bit more info. Are you looking for a DVD player/recorder that only records to disc or also to hardrive and if it also does hard drive are you looking for a certain amount of memory.

I have had experience with both and if you are looking for a really good straight to DVD player/recorder I would recommend a few Sony machines. If you are looking for something that also records to hard drive I might recommend Pioneer or Panasonic.

KC6HBA
    Thank you very much. I'll check out some of the Sonys. Yeah, just a straight player/recorder. What about the Samsung? If it does everything I need, is it worth it to buy a cheapie such as this one? Thanks again.

Dave

I can't speak on that particular model, but I have been fairly happy with my Samsung DVD player, although I still like the Toshiba I had prior and even happier with my previous experience with Pioneer.

What interests you the most? Are there certain features that you are requiring?

KC6HBA

dvd player/recorder

This is pretty much it. I just copied the specs off of the description at onecall.com. I'm gonna go look at the Toshibas now. Thanks.

Recordable Media Type DVD-RW, DVD-R
    General Features
    Surround Modes DTS, Dolby Digital / AC-3
    Compatible Formats MP3, JPEG, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD, DiVX, CD-RW, CD-R, CD
    One Touch Record Yes
    Progressive Scan Yes
    Remote Control Included
    Inputs / Outputs
    Coaxial Rear Output
    HDMI Rear Output
    IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Front Input
    Optical Rear Output
    RF Rear Output, Rear Input
    Analog Audio Rear Output
    Analog Audio / Video Rear Output, Rear Input, Front Input
    Component Video Rear Output
    S-Video Rear Output, Rear Input

One thing that it's hard to get a good grasp of when you look at a spec sheet is functioinality and ease of navigation. I know that Pioneer is usually easier to navigate then Toshiba or Samsung. I also like the Panasonics for the same reason or even JVC for that matter. I suppose it's all a matter of what you prefer. I also stand by some of the Sony's too. Hope your decision is a good one!

KC6HBA

dvd player

Okay Panny, thanks for all your input and help. I currently have a Pioneer player, and I didn't think it was that user-friendly, although since I've had it a while, I can navigate pretty easily. Think I'll go with the Samsung; it appears to have what I want. Also, I've dealt with onecall.com before, and gotten real good service from them. I'll try it out and let you know how it is. Thanks again for all your help!

Good choice. I actually have ordered from onecall before as well and they are definitely a great place to order from. tigerdirect is another good one. I'll be curious to hear your reaction after having it awhile.

KC6HBA

Panny,

Now that I've already gone and purchased the Samsung, I just read somewhere that you can't record in 5.1. Is that true?!? I certainly hope not. Do you know anything about that? Thanks.

Dave

Thread Information