yet another hdmi problem... god i hate this connection

hi all, i hope someone out there might be able to answer this question. i own the yamaha rxv-2700, the sony ps3 and panasonic th50pz700. just recently i have added a laptop with hdmi output as well.

the AVR is connected to hdmi1 and the laptop to hdmi 2. it is hooked up this way so i can listen to music while doin budgets for on laptop.

when i put audio cd into ps3 then change tv input to hdmi 2 i get no sound. when i change back to hdmi 1 i get sound again. the only way i get sound and change to hdmi 2 is when i change the amp to its "pure direct" mode, i then get sound. WHY? is this normal? hdmi isnt a connection that needs feedback from tv to work does it?

cheers dazza

Suspended
    Is the integrated audio on your laptop able to output bitstream? Is it 5.1 audio?

Wait a minute. You say your laptop has HDMI out? I didn't know laptop makers were providing HDMI.

The other thing might be that your music is HDCP protected.

it happens on dvds as well so it might be a copy protection thing. if i choose +pure direct", which cuts off video signal, i get sound. this migfht explain it then. thanx rich

cheers dazza

Forum Regular
    sounds like the HDMI connection on your laptop is version 1.0, this supports 2 channel audio.

Thread Information