MCF
    Forum Regular

Bi-pole surround speakers question...help..

I have a set of Klipsch RS-25's mounted on my 10 foot ceiling. Each speaker has two tweeters and a 5.25" woofer (guess they are considered di-pole). They are shaped like a wedge - woofer in the middle and each tweeter on either side angle back about 2 degrees. The are mounted such that the tops are about 2" from the ceiling, angled in about 15 degrees and angled down about 15 degrees and mounted just behind the seating area. Does this sound like a good setup? My surround effects sound a little muddied (or I have to turn gain up a lot to get surround affect). Due to pre-wiring of the house, the surround speakers either have to be mounted in the ceiling or hanging from the ceiling (I chose to hang for adjustability purposes). They are timbre matched to my Klipsch RB-25's and RC-25 and everything is run by my Harman Kardon AVR-635 (75W x 7). Would I be better off getting a surround speaker that can provide a more 'direct' path to the seating area - like a cube shaped speaker with the woofer and tweeter facing directly to seating area?

Forum Regular
    that type of speaker configuration is best suited on the side walls ( or on the side ceiling in your case ). Since everything is already wired, you might want to move the speakers further apart, i.e. near the edges of the seating area then run the HK EQ-setup.
    If you want to keep the speakers behind the seating area, you might want to switch to Klipsch RB15 or RB25

MCF
    Forum Regular

Avmaster.......

The RS-25's are pretty far apart...almost to the side walls...the are outside the edges of the couch...about 3-4 feet wider on either side....is this acceptable?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    The RS-25's are pretty far apart...almost to the side walls...the are outside the edges of the couch...about 3-4 feet wider on either side....is this acceptable?
    yeah, thats what i had in mind; have you run the HK EQ setup yet?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I have a set of Klipsch RS-25's mounted on my 10 foot ceiling. Each speaker has two tweeters and a 5.25" woofer (guess they are considered di-pole). They are shaped like a wedge - woofer in the middle and each tweeter on either side angle back about 2 degrees. The are mounted such that the tops are about 2" from the ceiling, angled in about 15 degrees and angled down about 15 degrees and mounted just behind the seating area. Does this sound like a good setup? My surround effects sound a little muddied (or I have to turn gain up a lot to get surround affect). Due to pre-wiring of the house, the surround speakers either have to be mounted in the ceiling or hanging from the ceiling (I chose to hang for adjustability purposes). They are timbre matched to my Klipsch RB-25's and RC-25 and everything is run by my Harman Kardon AVR-635 (75W x 7). Would I be better off getting a surround speaker that can provide a more 'direct' path to the seating area - like a cube shaped speaker with the woofer and tweeter facing directly to seating area?
    Actually these speakers are bipoles. The both tweeters are in-phase with each other throughout their operating range.

I think the way you mounted the speaker is creating your problem. Bipoles should be mounted to the sides of the listening position, 2-3ft behind the listening position, with the forward tweeter aimed at the listening position.(That means the woofers should be pointed at each other). This positions a single tweeter aimed nearly at the ears, and the other with its output bouncing off the rear wall. They should not be aimed downward, nor should they be position behind the listening seat. Positioning it behind you means the woofer has a WAY more direct path to the ears than the tweet/mids, and the tweet/mids are creating nothing but reflections. No wonder it sounds muddy. You have one set of drivers firing right at you, but the 4 others firing away from you, all coming from the same speaker. Not too good.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

MCF
    Forum Regular

Confused...and need help...recommendations..

Sirterrance,
    In one sentence, you say they should be mounted behind the listening position and then later your post you say they should not be....right now they are about 1-2 feet behind the listening position. Would it help any if I positioned the speakers facing towards each other even though they are mounted hanging from a 10 foot ceiling to the left and right of the listening position? The back left speaker is about 2 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side wall, the back right speaker is about 2 feet from the back wall (same as back left), but only about 1.5 feet from side 'dividing' wall. If these speakers are not good for my required mounting (ceiling mount), what is a set of white, discrete (i.e. not very tall) speakers that I can hang from the ceiling and point down and in towards listening position that would work? I have a Harman Kardon AVR-635, Klipsch RB-25's and RC-25. I don't want anything near as big as the RB-25's hanging from my ceiling.

Thanks!!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Sirterrance,
    In one sentence, you say they should be mounted behind the listening position and then later your post you say they should not be....right now they are about 1-2 feet behind the listening position. Would it help any if I positioned the speakers facing towards each other even though they are mounted hanging from a 10 foot ceiling to the left and right of the listening position? The back left speaker is about 2 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side wall, the back right speaker is about 2 feet from the back wall (same as back left), but only about 1.5 feet from side 'dividing' wall. If these speakers are not good for my required mounting (ceiling mount), what is a set of white, discrete (i.e. not very tall) speakers that I can hang from the ceiling and point down and in towards listening position that would work? I have a Harman Kardon AVR-635, Klipsch RB-25's and RC-25. I don't want anything near as big as the RB-25's hanging from my ceiling.

Thanks!!
    The should be to the sides of the listening position, and behind it 2-3ft. Yes, the should be facing each other regardless if they are mounted from the 10ft ceiling. However you should avoid hanging these speakers in free space. These kinds of speakers need to have a wall behind them to give them a reflection point for the tweeters, and some bass reinforcement to the bass/mid driver. If you hang them in free space, they will roll off prematurely making the bass sound thin.

I do not recommend ceiling mounted speakers. The do not work well with the hearing system with discrete channels. If you MUST mount them there for some reason, take a look at Klipsch's on wall, or in wall speakers. I know they have a few models that are decent and can be used for ceiling mounting.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    They should not be foward of your listening area,to the side or back but facing each other,does that sound right? Also if you use multi-channel audio,bi's would or would not work as well?
    Look & Listen

Thread Information