Forum Regular

Best DVD Player for under $600?

Haha don't you love these threads. I don't even know where to start when it comes to dvd players. Lemme know guys!

Under $600? Probably the Marantz DV-6400. But only if you need SACD/DVD-A capability and top notch CD sound.

If you don't, then there's no reason to spend more than $150 tops.

Forum Regular
    check out the PIONEER DV-563A DVD-Audio / Super Audio SACD Compatible DVD Player. 149 deliveryed from amazon.

I'll second the PIONEER DV-563A. I've had mine for a bit less than a year, plays everything I throw at it (or place in the tray). Not bad looking either. Both HT mags I subscribe to had to try really hard to find any significant difference in tested or perceived audio/video quality between it and other significantly pricier models. It mostly came down to things like the remote and connection options as the only issues, which were trivial.

I also have a Panasonic F87S 5 disc changer that works very well. I use it for season DVD sets so I don't have to change DVDs all the time. It also plays most everything except SACD, but I have only one SACD so it is not a big deal.

Forum Regular
    the PIONEER DV-563A is oos at amazon and most places. COMPUSA has it for 149.99 instore pick-up only so if ya decide to give this a try and you have a COMPUSA near. You can audition it in your home and if ya dont like it return-o-rama.

Keep in mind the Pioneer 563A was discontinued a few months back, it was very problematic. It was replaced by the 578A.

Forum Regular
    No Pioneer products in my house, but thanks for the suggestions. So any other suggestions? I wouldn't have to replace my old sony but it doesn't play burnt cds n such.

The 563A hasn't been replaced by anything. 'Problematic' as its been said had to do with a specific manufacturer of DVD Audio, which is quite a bit less of a problem than just saying 'problematic' implies, and it can be corrected with firmware updates anyway. I'll stand by my statements. Snubbing specific manufacturers is pretty stupid IMHO. Denon, Sony, Marantz, Pioneer etc... are all perfectly capable of manufacturing crap. Sony and Marantz both had serious problems with their receivers in the past. You pay your money and take your chances with all of them. I've had good performance with Pioneer products both in my home theater and computers, and I've had a number of good Sony products. If you can't guide yourself with objective reviews and your own judgement, then all thats left is a bunch of personal opinions that boil down to emotional attachment to major brand names who are almost all in bed together to some extent at the manufacturing level.

Forum Regular
    I have the Denon 2200 and am very happy with it. Sound is great, picture crisp, and plays sacd and a-dvd. Haven't had a problem yet.

Quote Originally Posted by datarush
    The 563A hasn't been replaced by anything. 'Problematic' as its been said had to do with a specific manufacturer of DVD Audio, which is quite a bit less of a problem than just saying 'problematic' implies.
    Care to explain this then?
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZJdyApq...ch=pioneer+578

Better tell Crutchfield the 563 hasn't been replaced, they are selling it's REPLACEMENT as are hundreds of other sites. Pioneer discontinued the 563 and replaced it with the 578. That's a fact. There's no arguing that. Products get replaced all the time.

It was problematic with many DVD-A discs. All other players would play them fine. The Pioneer wouldn't. I guess that means they should change the way they make DVD-A discs? Not gonna happen.

AR Elite Member
    Save your money and consider a Denon DVD 1910 when it comes out next month. I hear it's supopsed to be excellent.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DVD1910.pdf

Only $269

$269 for a single disc player that doesn't support DVD-A or SACD? I dunno...gonna be hard to compete against players that are just as good and sell for less than $99. Am I missing something?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    One I've been lusting after is the Sony ES DVP-NC555ES. 5-disc changer, sacd, 5-year ES warranty, etc. $599.99 retail. Haven't auditioned yet and haven't been able to find any reviews.

Forum Regular
    How about the Samsung DVD-HD841 ??

Forum Regular
    Heres some word on it

Strengths:
    Easy to use/ when it works

Weaknesses:
    Total piece of crap

Summary:
    This is the third one I have had to return. I have read on line that others have had the same problem. What has been happening is when you load a dvd disk it locks up and you are stuck from that point on. If you return it make sure you let them know the name of the dvd disk that is in there. This must be a ongoing problem with this player. I have owned many DVD players but this one has got to be the worst I have ever seen in production.

Suspended

If you can find it...

...the Panasonic xp-50 is an incredible machine. DVD-A, progressive scan, wonderful video and audio reproduction (just check out the reviews in the audio-video mags, as well as the review section of this website). Add to that low profile chrome styling and you have a "Best Buy" designation from "The Perfect Vision" magazine. The trick, of course, is to find one. They rarely appear on E-Bay, and when they do, they are usually snapped up immediately.

Good hunting!

Forum Regular

Rotel

I'd get the Rotel RDV-1050 or the RDV-1040. Both are under $600.

Thread Information