HD bobbing and weaving

Just to follow up, some time ago, I posted about Gary Merson's finding that many TVs were deinterlacing their HD feeds by bobbing, that is, by processing half of the stated resolution instead of buffering the full resolution and deinterlacing that way. I had written an email to The Perfect Vision, where Merson's article had appeared, in an attempt to elicit some comment about what looked to be a devious process. Scott Wilkinson , the magazine's video editor, replied to me, and the exchange is printed in the Letters to the Editors section. Wilkinson makes a good point about how TI now designates its chips that I didn't know, but, more importantly, he explains that bobbing sometimes has its utility, particularly when the frame includes motion. The trouble is, as Wilkinson, reminds us, images usually contain both motion and static objects, complicating the issue. Advanced motion-adaptive deinterlacing and diagonal filters can compensate for compromises when available. But from my understanding, this form of deinterlacing is more apt to find better implementation in external processors or DVD players than TVs. Thus, the widespread bobbing that Merson discovered stll matters.

However, in the same letter exchange, Robert Peirce argues that this whole issue is a tempest in a teapot, and though I took the other position, I can see his point. After all, even though bobbing was not a totally unknown phenomenon before Merson studied it, it took his report to make it a serious concern. After all, few people were complaining about visible artifacts in regular viewing of bobbing TVs. But bringing all of this information into the open certainly makes for a better-informed consumer public.

Ed

Forum Regular
    valid points from all and i tend to agree with Mr. Peirce; alot of our customers' don't care, don't know or share the same postion as Mr. Peirce. I do value the article and apperciate a more informed customer that will be aware of what you're getting.
    Once again, Thanks ED for digging a little deeper

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Just to follow up, some time ago, I posted about Gary Merson's finding that many TVs were deinterlacing their HD feeds by bobbing, that is, by processing half of the stated resolution instead of buffering the full resolution and deinterlacing that way. I had written an email to The Perfect Vision, where Merson's article had appeared, in an attempt to elicit some comment about what looked to be a devious process. Scott Wilkinson , the magazine's video editor, replied to me, and the exchange is printed in the Letters to the Editors section. Wilkinson makes a good point about how TI now designates its chips that I didn't know, but, more importantly, he explains that bobbing sometimes has its utility, particularly when the frame includes motion. The trouble is, as Wilkinson, reminds us, images usually contain both motion and static objects, complicating the issue. Advanced motion-adaptive deinterlacing and diagonal filters can compensate for compromises when available. But from my understanding, this form of deinterlacing is more apt to find better implementation in external processors or DVD players than TVs. Thus, the widespread bobbing that Merson discovered stll matters.

However, in the same letter exchange, Robert Peirce argues that this whole issue is a tempest in a teapot, and though I took the other position, I can see his point. After all, even though bobbing was not a totally unknown phenomenon before Merson studied it, it took his report to make it a serious concern. After all, few people were complaining about visible artifacts in regular viewing of bobbing TVs. But bringing all of this information into the open certainly makes for a better-informed consumer public.

Ed
    Now we all see why I have dubbed Ed as Sir Ed, knight of the video roundtable, viceroy of video, and tenactious television information seeker. ( I bow )
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs