• 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
    thxpaul
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Did the ambient (room) temperature change during your checks?

Room temp? Haha no way. I'm just going on what I feel when I put my hand flat against the top grille.
  • 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    What part of the grille? Same place everytime? Are you feeling the area where the power transistors are layed out?
  • 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
    thxpaul
    Quote:

What part of the grille? Same place everytime? Are you feeling the area where the power transistors are layed out?

Forgive my ignorance but I'm not exactly sure where those are... :(

The part that seems to heat up most is directly at the front right above the heat sink.

The right side of the unit and the back corner also heat up a little.
  • 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
    GMichael
    Not for nothin', but you guys seem to be feeling up your receivers a little much. Have you at least taken them out to lunch first?:ihih:
  • 08-06-2008, 10:43 AM
    thxpaul
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Not for nothin', but you guys seem to be feeling up your receivers a little much. Have you at least taken them out to lunch first?:ihih:

For that money I better be able to grope whenever and wherever I please
  • 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thxpaul
    For that money I better be able to grope whenever and wherever I please ;)

Are you blowing me a kiss?
  • 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
    thxpaul
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Are you blowing me a kiss?

...whatever do you mean?! lol
  • 08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

...whatever do you mean?! lol

Thanks. I feel safer now.
  • 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
    thxpaul
    Here's a question that is stumping me...

Why is it that when I select DolbyTrueHD on a bluray disc connected to my receiver with a fiber optic cable that the "trueHD" light on the 3800's front panel doesn't light up? It just stays at dolby digital?
  • 08-07-2008, 12:47 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Why is it that when I select DolbyTrueHD on a bluray disc connected to my receiver with a fiber optic cable that the "trueHD" light on the 3800's front panel doesn't light up? It just stays at dolby digital?

ITS GOTTA GO thru that gateway of DRM, the HDMI cable.
    If your receiver doesnt have HDMI 1.3 you are screw-dooed.
    Sorry.:1:
  • 08-07-2008, 04:43 AM
    thxpaul
    I hate to beat a dead horse but the heat coming off the 3800 is really starting to concern me. After some 2 channel music at a moderate volume the thing is so hot that its borderline painful to the touch. My old Yammy didn't get anywhere NEAR this hot and I used to push it harder for longer.

I have a gut feeling this isn't normal. :(
  • 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
    thxpaul
    GAH! now the front display on the unit has started flickering and acting all glitchy. ...the hell?!

Back to the store for this puppy.
  • 08-13-2008, 04:15 AM
    thxpaul
    Can anybody tell me if the left side of their front panel display flickers slightly when they dim the display all the way?

I exchanged my 3800 for an 1800 and it's doing the exact same thing. I figure it's just something they all do.

It's fine when the display is at full brightness. Then as I dim it a couple of the little icons on the left side of the display flicker slightly.
  • 08-13-2008, 05:18 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    I'm beginning to wonder about you dude. You exchanged your 3800 for an 1800, which completely goes against the grain of ANY audio enthusiast, based on things which have NO effect on the performance of the unit. You sacrificed a very capable unit for one with so many fewer features and now you ask if other people have the same condition? You've been a member here since 2003 right? What was your previous identity? Maybe that'll give us a little background about you.
  • 08-13-2008, 05:30 AM
    thxpaul
    Quote:

I'm beginning to wonder about you dude. You exchanged your 3800 for an 1800, which completely goes against the grain of ANY audio enthusiast, based on things which have NO effect on the performance of the unit. You sacrificed a very capable unit for one with so many fewer features and now you ask if other people have the same condition? You've been a member here since 2003 right? What was your previous identity? Maybe that'll give us a little background about you.

Then I suppose you would really have a hard time swallowing the fact that the 1800 sounds better than the 3800 did? When in fact it seems to be the case. The 3800 seemed to lack punch in the low end, and for some reason the less capable 1800 with it's 10 less watts per channel seems to sound better than the 3800 did. Maybe it's better suited to my speakers because of the lower wattage? Hell I don't know and personally don't really care but it was a nice little bonus to my "downgrade" :)

Aanyways the network capabilities of the 3800 would be wasted on me. Why pay an extra $500 for things I'll never use?

However that's neither here nor there. If you or any other 3800/1800 owner can tell me about this display dimmer foible I'd really appreciate it. If not then that's cool too. Just thought I'd check out what other people experience with theirs.

So far the 1800 is sounding better and running cooler. So I'm happy :)
  • 08-13-2008, 11:56 AM
    Crazy for sound
    Quote:

You need hdmi 1.3 it has a greater bandwidth
  • 08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
    Crazy for sound
    Quote:

I hate to beat a dead horse but the heat coming off the 3800 is really starting to concern me. After some 2 channel music at a moderate volume the thing is so hot that its borderline painful to the touch. My old Yammy didn't get anywhere NEAR this hot and I used to push it harder for longer.

I have a gut feeling this isn't normal. :(

I put a small fan directly in the side of my unit i have very little heat