Forum Regular

Thinking of updgrading my center channel...

Hi all. Currently I have a Bose VCS-10 as my center speaker, which I am starting to tire of. I know, I know...I probably should have never bought it in the first place. At the time I got it, I paid relatively little for it, and I figured it voice matched my Bose 301 and 201 V speakers which I use it with. Well, I've come to realize that it isn't a very good match at all.

So anyway, I am looking at replacing it with something better. My budget is probably $300-400 US. I am considering the Paradigm CC-370. I haven't heard it yet, but I've read a few reviews which speak favorably of it, and eventually I will probably upgrade to all Paradigms anyway (though this may be 3-4 years down the line, once my wife finishes grad school and we move out of our apartment). Anyway, would the Paradigm center sound acceptable with my Bose 301s in the front? Also, the speaker would have to sit on my Mitsubishi WS-48413 RPTV. Any concerns with the weight of the speaker bowing the screen? I've heard you're not supposed to put more than about 15 pounds of weight on a TV, but I have a hard time believing they don't design these RPTVs knowing people will put large center speakers on top of them. I think the Paradigm weighs about 25 lbs.

Any ideas, alternative speaker suggestions, or input appreciated...aside from any "sell all the Bose now" comments.

Thanks.

Infinity matches Bose somewhat

The VCS-10 is actually a poor match for the 301 because Bose decided to make that model their one-size-fits-all center speaker. Basically, they prescribe that model for all of the direct/reflecting models AND for the Acoustimass systems as well, even though the tonal characteristics for these models can vary quite a bit.

I don't think that the Paradigm would be a good match because its tweeters have a lot more extension. You need to find something with a mellower high end and a fatter sounding midrange if you want to match the 301 and 201. If you don't plan on upgrading the rest of the speakers within the next year or two, it makes no sense to get the CC-370 on the assumption that you will get matching Paradigms eventually because Paradigm tends to update their speakers every three years or so. So, even if you get the 370, it may not match whatever Paradigm is making a few years from now.

As for the weight, that would depend on the TV. The Mitsubishi models I've seen have a very wide top and appear like they can support a fair amount of weight. The thinner LCD and DLP projection models, with their narrower profiles I have heard can definitely warp with a heavy speaker on top (that is, if you can even get the thing to sit on top of there to begin with).

Just buy any good center channel, then drape a wet towel over the front of it when you want to listen to it. Viola! Instant Bose sound.

Forum Regular
    What I would do is get another 301 to match the mains. Downside is it probably won't be shielded (though I may be mistaken) but the upside is it is relatively inexpensive and will match your mains. If you will be changing your system entirely down the road, look for a different center. For example, if you were to go with Magnepan then their MMG C would be up your ally. If you go the way of the Rocket, a B-stock RSC200 is worthy of your consideration. (Fantastic center, BTW. Downside is it is very big. Hence the nickname "bigfoot".)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    What I would do is get another 301 to match the mains. Downside is it probably won't be shielded (though I may be mistaken) but the upside is it is relatively inexpensive and will match your mains. If you will be changing your system entirely down the road, look for a different center. For example, if you were to go with Magnepan then their MMG C would be up your ally. If you go the way of the Rocket, a B-stock RSC200 is worthy of your consideration. (Fantastic center, BTW. Downside is it is very big. Hence the nickname "bigfoot".)
    That's actually excellent advise, because the 301 is already a horizontal design and would easily sit on top of a TV. You're right that they're not shielded, but I don't remember them being especially prone to causing picture distortion with my wife's setup before. The drawback that I see is with the positioning of tweeter, because it's off-angle and the drivers are assymetrical.

Thread Information