Forum Regular

Question Yamaha RX-V1400 Upconverting?

I have a DVD and a VCR hooked up to my TV via a Yamaha RX-V1400 A/V receiver. The DVD is hooked up through component video and the VCR is hooked up via S-Video (that's the best the VCR will allow). Both are hooked up to different inputs on the TV. I can watch the VCR via the S-Video input or the component video input since both are connected to the rceciver then to the TV.

When I choose to watch the VCR through the component output (remember my VCR does not support component video only S-Video and the lesser composite video), is the Yamaha RX-V1400 actually upconverting the signal from S-Video to component video for the VCR? I do notice a slightly better quality picture using the component video setup.

Yes, that is what it is doing. I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 also and have my DVD player connected via component cables, my VCR via composite, and my digital cable/DVR box via Svideo. They all travel to my TV from my receiver via a component cable. I love this feature.

Forum Regular
    Jeff,

Just curious, what kind of picture are you getting from your VCR with the composite hookup that's being converted?

It looks the same as if it were connected right to the TV via composite cable. There is no good way of improving the quality to the level of a component connection if the quality was never there. It is just a great feature because only one set of cables needs to come from the receiver to the TV.

Forum Regular
    Thanks! I was wondering what it would do upconverting composite video. I have a Mitsubishi HiFi VCR and I'm guessing that there isn't that much difference between S-Video and component video thus the slight difference I notice with my connection.

Thread Information