Forum Regular

Orb audio mod1/mod2 (again..)

Hi all,

First off - hi I'm newly registered here, although this site has been very useful to me in finding information about home theater setups.

Basically I'm having trouble selecting an affordable HT speaker setup.
    I just replaced my (cheap) 5.1 CSW 'DTT 3500 digital' receiver with a 'real' receiver, the pioneer VSX-D814. My setup consists of a Sony TV, a DVD player, and a couple of consoles (ps2/xbox/gamecube). I mostly use this for watching DVDs and playing games. I do some casual incidental music-listening trough this, but focus should be on DVD sound.
    Currently I'm using my DTT3500 speakers (small cambridge soundworks 5.1 speakers with a passive sub) on the Pioneer. Sound quality has improved dramatically by replacing the receiver, but still things are sub-optimal. Probably most people here already guessed when I mentioned using the CSW speakers+sub with the Pioneer .

Basically I'm looking for a set of (5.1) sattelites, and an active sub.
    My living room is about 9x5 (meters), half of wich is used as a sitting/viewing/listening area.
    It's pretty important for me not to have huge speakers standing around (not as much for the WAF, mostly for my own AF ).
    My current dilemma has evolved around the selection of sattelite speakers. I've browsed quite a bit of the audioreview forums and review websites, and found the Orb audio ( http://www.orbaudio.com/ ) Mod1/Mod2's. I really *love* the design on them, and reviews seem pretty good. Here on the forums things seem a bit divided, considering the Orbs.
    As I'm in Europe, I'm confronted with *huge* HT equipment prices (the Pioneer can be found in the USA for $200-250, maybe even less; I had to do quite some searching to get it for EUR 350 - which is around $400).
    So I mailed Orb. They offered me a 5-speaker-combo (mod2's for front and center, mod1's for rear) for quite a good price, including shipping. Response was also great, and it seems the person who replied to my message had clue.
    Nice.Tempting. The Orb woofer won't work here, so I'll have to get the woofer seperately.

Let's say I want to get a set of 5.1 speakers (again; forget about the sub for now) for Orb-like pricing. Orbs are cheap; similar-priced speakers will be more expensive when I get them in the EU. If I don't go for the Orb's, I'd rather buy from a shop here, and won't go trough the process of buying online, paying lots for shipping, and risking warranty issues. Again; the Orbs seem a good deal.
    Is there any alternative ? I've seen two members here being pretty hyped-up on the Orbs, but I'd love to see a more independent opinion (although any input is welcome, ofcourse).
    The most important features - which i do *not* want to part with - are:
    - Small speakers (if possible nicely designed)
    - Orb-like pricerange (as in ~$500 max, which will turn out to be around the $600-700 range when bought here)
    - No woofer (yet).

I hope this is enough information to get a sensible discussion. The general impressions I got from other threads were things like 'this looks like a HTIB', '3" drivers can never produce great sound' and (I didn't like this one) 'Orbs use cheap components and can never sound better than *insert popular non-great speaker-package*'.

So ? Orb as a web-only vague company that doesn't live up to its promises? Or Orb as a company that *does* produce great speakers at a nice price ?

Thanks,
    Robert

Forum Regular

Get the Orb Now!

I have the Orb Mod1's and they're great despite what some of the wizz kids on this board who don't listen to music say. The (co-owner) Gary is a great guy. A few questions for you? Why can't the sub play in the UK- all you need is a power transformer.. I lived in London for 6 years and all my stereo/electric equipment played the same with a transformer. I actually use an ARS Sub with my Orb's- I'll get the model number if you request, that you can get for under $250 online, thats quite good.

Forum Regular
    Hi Hershon,

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    I have the Orb Mod1's and they're great despite what some of the wizz kids on this board who don't listen to music say. The (co-owner) Gary is a great guy. A few questions for you? Why can't the sub play in the UK- all you need is a power transformer.. I lived in London for 6 years and all my stereo/electric equipment played the same with a transformer. I actually use an ARS Sub with my Orb's- I'll get the model number if you request, that you can get for under $250 online, thats quite good.
    Basically it's a combination of 'getting the power transformer' and 'paying for shipping' - As the sub is quite heavy and (for shipment) bulky, It's not really worth the trouble of importing it. Anyways, i got offered a pretty good deal by Gary on the front/center mod2's and rear mod1's.
    As for the sub - i'm basically just browsing around, and checking what comes up. I want to get the right sub for the room, and haven't finished saving up for the Orbs (or other sattelite systems) yet.
    As for your remark about the wizz kids - do you use your Orbs for DD/DTS DVD watching as well ? What's your verdict on its performance there ? As I mentioned, I won't use my system much for music-listening ('not much, not 'not at all' ') - so the DVD playback performance is pretty interesting for me.

Thanks for your answer,
    Robert

Forum Regular
    I don't want to put a damper on your choice, or get into an argument withHershon, but I feel that he is too biased on his speakers for you to trust what he may say. He has on several other posts said that they are the best system even though he has also stated that he has limited experience with other systems in the same price range. They may be a great product but I would make sure that you can return them if they end up being less than what you expect.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by chimera128
    I don't want to put a damper on your choice, or get into an argument withHershon, but I feel that he is too biased on his speakers for you to trust what he may say. He has on several other posts said that they are the best system even though he has also stated that he has limited experience with other systems in the same price range. They may be a great product but I would make sure that you can return them if they end up being less than what you expect.
    Well - not wanting to ditch Hershon, his input was definately valueable - I'd like some 'independent'/semi-independent opinions on this, too. When I order the Orbs, I probably can't return them; If i can, it's still an expensive thing to do, since shipping is non-refundable. The Orbs are attractive as they seem to offer good quality for my pricepoint, which is, well, pretty low. Also I can't find any *really* independent reviews (that don't look like press releases). If anyone (hershon?) did see one, i'd love to read it.

Forum Regular
    I always listen to DVD's at Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. For my ears, I don't like DTS at all, that's my personal preference. Chimera's comments about me are pretty accurate but what he doesn't say is that none of these people who comment on home theater systems, for the most part, own or listen to on a regular extended basis, any of the systems they advocate or put down, either. I would also try to get if you could find in the UK Ars 108 PB Subwoofer (Accoustic Research) or alternatively ask Gary for some recommended subs as he recommended the ARS one to me. The problem with the UK is its hard to find any good deals on electronics stuff and I wouldn't trust anyone their about buying anything used as they're all, to use an English word, "cowboys". I'd also if I were you, definately get excellent speaker wire on Ebay as that will make a difference in sound. I'd also recommend (you can get this on EBAY as well) Monster THX subwoofer Cable, and other Monster THX products, but that's my personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdm
    Hi Hershon,

Basically it's a combination of 'getting the power transformer' and 'paying for shipping' - As the sub is quite heavy and (for shipment) bulky, It's not really worth the trouble of importing it. Anyways, i got offered a pretty good deal by Gary on the front/center mod2's and rear mod1's.
    As for the sub - i'm basically just browsing around, and checking what comes up. I want to get the right sub for the room, and haven't finished saving up for the Orbs (or other sattelite systems) yet.
    As for your remark about the wizz kids - do you use your Orbs for DD/DTS DVD watching as well ? What's your verdict on its performance there ? As I mentioned, I won't use my system much for music-listening ('not much, not 'not at all' ') - so the DVD playback performance is pretty interesting for me.

Thanks for your answer,
    Robert

Sigh.... RVDM, where in Europe are you?

It seems that your location is working against you. Are there any items available localy thet might suit your needs?

The reason I ask is that their size and, more importantly, their styling seem to fascinate you. If you could live with plain old small rectangular speakers, I'm pretty sure something could be done to help you. But, if it's their styling that draws you, then you seriously limit your options.

Don't know if you can get them where you are but HSU Research, an American company, offers a highly regarded speaker system called "The Ventriloquist". It's available either with or without a powered subwoofer. It might be worth a try. Be warned, it's nothing fancy, just small and offers good sound.

FWIW, Orb is a fairly new, as yet unproven, manufacturer that cleverly styled their speakers to be visually appealing. The jury is still out as far as their order in the pecking order.

And, most of us do own some of the equipment we recommend. We may have information on other units that might be suitable for others with different needs, but that does not make the people here children drooling outside the toy store. After all, an Oncologist does not have to have Cancer in order to recommend treatment for others.

And, the point of diminishing returns on wires and cables is far lower than the marketing mavens would have you believe. Far below Monster's pricing, anyway.

Forum Regular
    Hi Mark,

I'm in the Netherlands. Yes, I like the styling of the Orbs a Lot. I do have to take a tiny form of WAF (or, more accurately, GAF) into account; but i'm a sucker for design myself as well. Using cubed speakers now, and I don't dislike them - I do dislike big speaker boxes. I've taken a look at the HSU speakers as well. They look reasonable; unfortunately I'll have to import those as well.
    Price tag is a bit lower even, so that might actually be a nice option - although i'd be willing to sacrifice *some* quality to get the design/looks of the Orb set - which makes the setting for today's dilemma.
    If Orbs 'sound good, look good, feel good too' (fisherspooner!), I'd buy them right now; I don't feel confident enough about the 'sound good' - yet.

One thing i'm trying to take care of - hoping not to insult anyone here - is to lose myself in spending loads of cash for smallish improvements. I'm not going to buy $150 RCA cables, but i am going to go with reasonably priced cabling.
    I still haven't decided yet; the Netherlands seem to offer either *very* expensive equipment (that probably sounds great, but I don't need yet another expensive hobby ), or cheap crap. The switchpoint between 'reasonable quality' and 'good quality' is quite high, in my opinion. If I spend the euro-equivalent of $1000 on speakers here, I get 'pretty reasonable' - while 'pretty good' is possible when I look at american pricing.

It probably all boils down to your (paraphrased) remark - Orb looks great, but until there haven't been independent reviews, judging their quality is hard. I just have to decide if I want to take the risk, and go with the (valuable!) remarks of current owners, or go for something else that's proven but hasn't got the fancy design. Which is hard as well, as the Orb owners come across pretty enthousiastic about their purchases. It's all personal, I guess.

Forum Regular

Here is your official independent forum on Orb

The link below I believe is what you're looking for in regards to independent opinions on Orb http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/9496.html http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/9496.html Based on what i read on that forum which is a total independent board like this one, I contacted Orb, went over to the owners house, heard the speakers, loved what I saw and purchased them on the spot. In regards to speaker wires & cables, I'm not an expert on this, but your best off getting good quality stuff off Ebay for 1/2 the retail price. I'd again go with Monster Wire and Monster THX subwoofer cable & THX video cable stuff. If someone can recommend better, so be it. I would not get anything cheaper than that though as it does make a difference in sound and picture. Having said that, I think the Monster Ultra Brand is a total ripoff and sounds crappy too. http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/9496.html

Hi Mark,

I'm in the Netherlands. Yes, I like the styling of the Orbs a Lot. I do have to take a tiny form of WAF (or, more accurately, GAF) into account; but i'm a sucker for design myself as well. Using cubed speakers now, and I don't dislike them - I do dislike big speaker boxes. I've taken a look at the HSU speakers as well. They look reasonable; unfortunately I'll have to import those as well.
    Price tag is a bit lower even, so that might actually be a nice option - although i'd be willing to sacrifice *some* quality to get the design/looks of the Orb set - which makes the setting for today's dilemma.
    If Orbs 'sound good, look good, feel good too' (fisherspooner!), I'd buy them right now; I don't feel confident enough about the 'sound good' - yet.

One thing i'm trying to take care of - hoping not to insult anyone here - is to lose myself in spending loads of cash for smallish improvements. I'm not going to buy $150 RCA cables, but i am going to go with reasonably priced cabling.
    I still haven't decided yet; the Netherlands seem to offer either *very* expensive equipment (that probably sounds great, but I don't need yet another expensive hobby ), or cheap crap. The switchpoint between 'reasonable quality' and 'good quality' is quite high, in my opinion. If I spend the euro-equivalent of $1000 on speakers here, I get 'pretty reasonable' - while 'pretty good' is possible when I look at american pricing.

It probably all boils down to your (paraphrased) remark - Orb looks great, but until there haven't been independent reviews, judging their quality is hard. I just have to decide if I want to take the risk, and go with the (valuable!) remarks of current owners, or go for something else that's proven but hasn't got the fancy design. Which is hard as well, as the Orb owners come across pretty enthousiastic about their purchases. It's all personal, I guess.

Forum Regular
    Listen to the Gallo Micros if you can. Odds are if you enjoy that sound you will enjoy the Orbs. If you don't begin looking elsewhere.

Forum Regular
    I found lots of opinions of individuals who bought the Orbs - by 'review' I rather meant the opinion of a reviewer/website/magazine. I value users' opinion a lot, but ofcourse some kind of independent review is more valuable.
    I'm going to go with the advice in the last post, and try to listen to the gallo micro's. I'm still positive about the Orbs. The Gallo Micro speakers look pretty good as well, but they're just too expensive for my current budget. If they sound good, the Orbs might be a good alternative to them (and according to some of the posts, an even better alternative).
    I'll go for the speakers first, and see about the cable stuff later.

Thanks again!

Forum Regular
    I have the Orbs, too. They have better high end and imaging than the Micros, so if you like those, you will love the Orbs. Don't listen to the naysayers on here who haven't heard them...I've loved these speakers from the moment I bought them and Orb is a fantastic company. Their systems would be 2x-3x the price if they were sold in stores, which is why a lot of people are skeptical -- they paid $1500+ for speakers that are equal or worse in quality than the Orbs. The speakers are very well balanced and perform well with both music and HT content. I'd say get a set and take advantage of the home trial. I doubt you'll be returning them and even w/ freight they are less expensive than your other choices. More so, you said you were looking in the $600 range, and I can't think you are going to get handmade, metal speakers in that price range from most other companies. Instead, you will wind up w/ plastic HTIB, which Orb most certainly is not.

Forum Regular
    Ok, basically I decided to go with the Orbs. I'll have some more saving to do, but my general impression is pretty good. Orb support is more than great (thanks Gary!), and I'm feeling confident in buying them. If they really do suck, I'll return them, and take the loss of shipping costs.
    Probably I'm going to start out with my cheapest option: 5 mod1's. If I like them - and my room needs it - I'll upgrade to mod2's for center and front r/l.
    Thanks all!

Forum Regular
    If you get them you should post a seperate new follow-up thread stating if you like them or not. Alot of people here who haven't heard them dismiss them from the people who have them and praise them. I also suggest that you get decent speaker wires (you can probably make a deal with Gary on them) as well as a good subwoofer (again I'd ask Gary for recommendations for subwoofers you can get in your part of the woods and Monster THX subwoofer cable. Good luck.
    Ok, basically I decided to go with the Orbs. I'll have some more saving to do, but my general impression is pretty good. Orb support is more than great (thanks Gary!), and I'm feeling confident in buying them. If they really do suck, I'll return them, and take the loss of shipping costs.
    Probably I'm going to start out with my cheapest option: 5 mod1's. If I like them - and my room needs it - I'll upgrade to mod2's for center and front r/l.
    Thanks all!

Forum Regular
    Good luck with your purchase.
    Definitive Technology Fan, Owner and Advocate!!!!! never paying retail IS half the fun of buying audio products!!!! Good shopping!

Thread Information