Help me choose a line conditioner

I am going to be buying a line conditioner soon and would like some opinions on a couple of models. I suspect my AC power has something wrong with it because I have had things turn off on me. I have also had a TV die on me and a computer power supply die. I don't care so much about the filters in the units as much as I care that they can fix the fluctuations in voltage. I have narrowed it down to two units, the PureAV PF60 or the Monster 2600MKII.

Any thoughts?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    You should quit being a Troll
    So now that Edward shared his knowledge, does anybody else have some actual advice?

Forum Regular
    I'm purchasing a cheaper unit from this family of products. Worth a look.

http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=272&ly=h

Wayne

I could be off my rocker on this, but I believe the only way you can stabilize your voltage is to purchase a regenerator such as this PS Audio P300 Power Plant. The Belkin and Monster simply throw filters at the power in an effort to remove the hash. A PowerPlant actually takes the incoming current, cleans it, and regenerates it into a stable, user-selectable wave. If you're looking for stable power, a conditioner won't help. Richard Gray's Power Company has similar products as well.

Hope this helps.

I have both the PF40 and PF60 and I highly recommend it! Not only does it look great, but has great protection and has a high-current output, plus lots of other great features. The level of quality put into it is incredible considering if you look around you can find this unit relatively inexpensive. I got both of mine for less than $400. You won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    I have both the PF40 and PF60 and I highly recommend it! Not only does it look great, but has great protection and has a high-current output, plus lots of other great features. The level of quality put into it is incredible considering if you look around you can find this unit relatively inexpensive. I got both of mine for less than $400. You won't be disappointed!
    Will this type of unit protect me from the problems I have been having in my first post?

Jeff,

Two questions: Are you sure that you're suffering from serious voltage fluctuations? You might get hold of a voltage meter to check readings. Then, are you sure that some appliance, or electrical element, in your house isn't amiss or just starting/stopping intermittently (as it is intended to do), causing the voltage to rise and fall? This can be a difficult diagnosis for anyone untrained in electrical engineering to determine. You might do yourself a favor and visit the P.S. Audio site, or the Furman site--for example--to read up on what the higher-end power conditioners are meant to prevent and how they do it. Before you drop any money on a relatively cheap unit that doesn't address your problem, or a really expensive one that doesn't or doesn't do it cost-effectively, you might ground (sorry) yourself in some background about the various problems and solutions, unless you've already sussed it out.

I would agree with what edtyct is saying about finding the source of the problem first instead of trying various methods to see if that alleviates the problem. I can't say for sure if it will fix the problem, but I do know that it will do what it's function is, which is to protect your system, keep the power clean, and give you the juice where you need it. There are of course other options from different companies like already mentioned, but my preference was with Belkin because it offered the most for the least amount of money. I have been very satisfied with everything thus far. I should also mention that I have a PS audio wall outlet so all my power is pure coming out of the wall and then the Belkin unit is distributing that very well.

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Jeff,

Two questions: Are you sure that you're suffering from serious voltage fluctuations? You might get hold of a voltage meter to check readings. Then, are you sure that some appliance, or electrical element, in your house isn't amiss or just starting/stopping intermittently (as it is intended to do), causing the voltage to rise and fall? This can be a difficult diagnosis for anyone untrained in electrical engineering to determine. You might do yourself a favor and visit the P.S. Audio site, or the Furman site--for example--to read up on what the higher-end power conditioners are meant to prevent and how they do it. Before you drop any money on a relatively cheap unit that doesn't address your problem, or a really expensive one that doesn't or doesn't do it cost-effectively, you might ground (sorry) yourself in some background about the various problems and solutions, unless you've already sussed it out.
    If I were to connect a multimeter to check my voltage wouldn't I have to leave it there for a while and have to be around at just the right time to catch a high or low? Would this be the case, or if the voltage is messed up, it would fluctuate often enough that I would notice it fairly soon.

I figure I need a unit that regulates the voltage whether it is high or low. The PS Audio equipment looks extremely nice but unfortunately is not in my price range. The Furman also seems like it could do the job but I am confused by the different models. I was looking around and notice that the PST-10 digital would be nice because of the number of outlets and the remote turn on but it doesn't seem to have the voltage regulation; it only protects against surges and spikes. It does appear to have a much better system of protecting against spikes or surges than many of the other line conditioners on the market.

Well, that's the question. Who knows? Maybe on a day when you're spending some time in the room, you could keep your eye on a meter, checking it especially when you notice the lights dim/surge or when some servo mechanism starts up/shuts down. These things are tough to diagnose, but buying a power regulator for your system before you've determined the cause of your problems doesn't seem like the best idea. Just how long after installing a regulator in your system on speculation would it take for you to know whether or not it was necessary, possibly a lot longer than any money-back guarantee would last? You could also have a professional troubleshoot your electrical system. The results of your apparent fluctuations seem more severe than would normally happen with electrical inconsistencies that derive from outside the home. But stranger things have happened, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Well, that's the question. Who knows? Maybe on a day when you're spending some time in the room, you could keep your eye on a meter, checking it especially when you notice the lights dim/surge or when some servo mechanism starts up/shuts down. These things are tough to diagnose, but buying a power regulator for your system before you've determined the cause of your problems doesn't seem like the best idea. Just how long after installing a regulator in your system on speculation would it take for you to know whether or not it was necessary, possibly a lot longer than any money-back guarantee would last? You could also have a professional troubleshoot your electrical system. The results of your apparent fluctuations seem more severe than would normally happen with electrical inconsistencies that derive from outside the home. But stranger things have happened, I guess.
    Since I live in an apartment, I wonder if having a professional check out my power would be something I could expect the landlord to do. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask and if not I will try it myself with a multimeter.

Are you in a house converted into apartments or in a structure originally intended to be apartments? Some old homes turned apartments have remarkably unruly electrical situations. I should know. I live in a house built in 1750. It's a single-family home, but you haven't seen anything until you've seen modern electicity adapted to an antique. Whatever your case, if you ask the landlord or building manager nicely whether s/he'd be willing to have your electricity checked out because some of your components have been shutting down randomly, and a couple have even died on you, you might have some success. Who lies about that (make clear that you don't want to be recompensed for anything)?

It is an apartment, designed as an apartment. It is two stories, with 8 apartments in each building and attached garages. This building was built about 3-4 years ago.

Thread Information